Comments

• Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Is it really ignorant though?
    Could it not work ?
    Ever?

No it won't on people severe.

Mild possibly but telling people self harming and suicidal it won't work.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what is worse - that someone is really this ignorant, or someone is pretending to be this ignorant knowing it's going to bait people.

It's carefully consructed to hit all the wrong notes and get us all going.
  • Options
    CandlelightsCandlelights Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok im asking because all my friends,family,culture are very ignorant (even myself) when it comes to this sort of thing.
    My sister shes been self harming and shes talking about suicide.(i doubt she will do it but you never 100 percent know i told her its selfish and she will go to hell)
    Shes been subscribed tablets called anti depressants.
    I just had a little heart to heart with her something i never do but im convinced tough love will do the trick.im convinced that if i told her how it is things will get better.
    I actually know a lot about humans and have had read plenty on self help,physchology,buddism and the quaran. I actually read each daily.
    I feel like telling her to stop feeling sorry for herself. And getting straight to the point as a man and not doing the self pity baby approach will help in the long run.
    For instance shes sitting in her room in the dark saying she wants to be left a lone thats when we had a heart to heart so she is letting her feelings out but every time mum asks to turn the light on she says no.
    Dads not home and they dont talk as much as she talks to mum.
    I feel like just turning the light on and saying i love you but stop the foolishnesd but i dont want to say or do the wrong thing because i am not an expert with this sort of thing even though i feel i know enough about humans and whats best for us.
    This is not a troll thread what should i do?
    Anyone with depressed family have advice?
    Anyone with depression or has had it want to give advice?

Call Family Lives, YoungMinds or 101 (999 if any life is at risk).

Your sister needs help NOW, forget cultural barriers, don't listen to anybody but the professionals.

Let her call the samaritan, go to the white wall online..... You need to keep occupied as you seek professional advice.

None of that cultural stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alot of professionals are rubbish.

How long waiting list?

Depression equals hopelessness, helplessness, despair.

I'm not saying don't have a place but people need to be empowered at same time otherwise they will be putting their faith in others not themselves

Actually apologies helpline, helplines can be a good help, waiting lists not so.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take her to the GP. Ask to talk about her symptoms with the GP seperatley. Family should not matter. Unless your family is Wahabist Islam then it should be ok. I have had lits of Muslim parients on my ward. Caused no issueS apart from some Saudi 'Prince' who was removed on a Private flight- despite accusations of criminaliry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What happened there mc Satan?
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the OP is conducting a thesis on Depression
    He has a concurrent one on depression in men.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2181892&highlight=
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    What happened there mc Satan?

You know what? I have no idea. I misread an earlier post.

In reality, this was my job for long enough. It should also be in advice.
  • Options
    afghan_goolieafghan_goolie Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies people
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    It's carefully consructed to hit all the wrong notes and get us all going.

There is so much about this poster that screams troll.

But despite their intentions there's quite a lot of useful information here apart from where the OP can get help for their problem.

Is there a trollanon?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While OP is trolling or writing a thesis or what, the subject is very serious and if people are ending up here because of a search engine then the advise given to get in touch with helplines and GP is valid.

You are not going to be able to 'cure' somebody just by telling them to snap out of it. First step is that the person needs to recognise that they need help and are willing to receive it. Once they have accepted that then there are several avenues which professionals can advise on depending on the root cause which in itself can be hard to find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Listen guys i am not trolling i dont know whether this is because english is not my first language that i get ahead of myself typing things or i am just sounding harsh i could be wrong but this is not troll thread.
    I wrote in another thread what follows

"That has nothing to do with my topic.
    This is about why men dont talk about it not about my sisters depression.
    Two totally different topics.
    I still stand by what i said.
    SOMETIMES tough love can work,just like prayer can sometimes work,just like proffesional help can sometimes work.Just like medication can sometimes work"

Basically there isnt one solution for everyone.
    Some maybe even most people with depression might not be able to take the tough love stance but I MYSELF have seen it work.
    I accept that i should have explained this before.
    As someone else says people get called depressed or mentally ill when they might not be. Its over subscribed.
    They might just be feeling down.
    I am sorry if i have offended anyone but i still stand by it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is so much about this poster that screams troll.

But despite their intentions there's quite a lot of useful information here apart from where the OP can get help for their problem.

Is there a trollanon?

What a way to insult fellow FMs.

Whatever OP's intentions are, if anybody knows any information even if readily common knowledge. They have a duty to share it because this is a public forum, it might help someone act/remember/be signposted on day.

YoungMinds, would always help, where there are some behavioural, mental and wellbeing issues.
    Although, it is mainly for adult concerned about the wellbeing and mental health for children up to the age of 18-25.
    Even, if you have an appointment with CAHMS, call them because you might be give support for the whole family.

Family lives offers help and advice in all aspect or life events that affects families.

And because of the " suicidal and self-harm " part, we should always remember 999 too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen guys i am not trolling i dont know whether this is because english is not my first language that i get ahead of myself typing things or i am just sounding harsh i could be wrong but this is not troll thread.
    I wrote in another thread what follows

"That has nothing to do with my topic.
    This is about why men dont talk about it not about my sisters depression.
    Two totally different topics.
    SOMETIMES tough love can work,just like prayer can sometimes work,just like proffesional help can sometimes work.Just like medication can sometimes work"

Basically there isnt one solution for everyone.
    Some maybe even most people with depression might not be able to take the tough love stance but I MYSELF have seen it work.
    I accept that i should have explained this before.
    As someone else says people get called depressed or mentally ill when they might not be. Its over subscribed.
    They might just be feeling down.
    I am sorry if i have offended anyone but i still stand by it.

What?! I refuse to believe there are people who think like this!

Are you one of the sentinelese?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOMETIMES tough love can work,just like prayer can sometimes work,

Uh, no it doesn't.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?! I refuse to believe there are people who think like this!

Are you one of the sentinelese?

I'm still trying to work out how anyone can claim to be totally ignorant and know all about it at the same time. Forgetting about the latter would be the best place to start. I wonder if this poor girl broke her leg, would he think making her walk on it, mockery and the odd prayer chucked in would be the best cure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to work out how anyone can claim to be totally ignorant and know all about it at the same time. Forgetting about the latter would be the best place to start. I wonder if this poor girl broke her leg, would he think making her walk on it, mockery and the odd prayer chucked in would be the best cure?

I never calimed to know all about depression
    I said i have read plenty on things such as phycology,the human brain,self help amongst other things
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Uh, no it doesn't.

How can you tell someone that has seen it work with their very own eyes that it does not lol.
    Like i said every case is different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Call Family Lives, YoungMinds or 101 (999 if any life is at risk).

Your sister needs help NOW, forget cultural barriers, don't listen to anybody but the professionals.

Let her call the samaritan, go to the white wall online..... You need to keep occupied as you seek professional advice.

None of that cultural stuff.

Thank you for the advice.
    She seems to be in a better mood now.
    I will weigh up my options and take your information on board if she gets bad again
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok im asking because all my friends,family,culture are very ignorant (even myself) when it comes to this sort of thing.
    My sister shes been self harming and shes talking about suicide.(i doubt she will do it but you never 100 percent know i told her its selfish and she will go to hell)
    Shes been subscribed tablets called anti depressants.
    I just had a little heart to heart with her something i never do but im convinced tough love will do the trick.im convinced that if i told her how it is things will get better.
    I actually know a lot about humans and have had read plenty on self help,physchology,buddism and the quaran. I actually read each daily.
    I feel like telling her to stop feeling sorry for herself. And getting straight to the point as a man and not doing the self pity baby approach will help in the long run.
    For instance shes sitting in her room in the dark saying she wants to be left a lone thats when we had a heart to heart so she is letting her feelings out but every time mum asks to turn the light on she says no.
    Dads not home and they dont talk as much as she talks to mum.
    I feel like just turning the light on and saying i love you but stop the foolishnesd but i dont want to say or do the wrong thing because i am not an expert with this sort of thing even though i feel i know enough about humans and whats best for us.
    You very obviously don't.
    I never calimed to know all about depression
    I said i have read plenty on things such as phycology,the human brain,self help amongst other things
    Yes you said you were totally ignorant. If you've read "plenty about" psychology I don't understand why.
    Thank you for the advice.
    She seems to be in a better mood now.
    I will weigh up my options and take your information on board if she gets bad again

In a "better mood" Is that all you think depression, self harm and wanting to die are, a bad mood? I wouldn't be surprised if she's very hurt and afraid and trying to avoid another round of your destructive and demeaning tough love approach. For instance, telling her she's selfish and she'll go to hell?? Are you serious? Would you dream of saying such horrible stuff to anyone with a physical illness?
    What do you mean your options? You might feel helpless but how do you think she feels. She can't switch off ghastly clinical depression. I suggest you read something factual and sensible about her illness.
    Please leave her treatment to your GP and try to treat her with the respect, love and kindness anyone who's ill deserves and needs. Are you prepared to deal with the possible tragic consequences of trying to use bullying control over anyone with a serious illness like hers? No-one self harms or wants to die without good reason, why can't you understand that?
    The medication will help lift her serotonin levels which are obviously low if she's so ill and that will take weeks to kick in. You can even tell yourself it's an, obviously much preferable to you, physical illness for that reason.
    If she's not starting to feel better after 8/9 weeks she probably needs different medication.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a way to insult fellow FMs.

Whatever OP's intentions are, if anybody knows any information even if readily common knowledge. They have a duty to share it because this is a public forum, it might help someone act/remember/be signposted on day.

Didn't you read where I wrote:

So no insult to posters at all - rather an acknowledgement that there is useful information here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    You very obviously don't.

Yes you said you were totally ignorant. If you've read "plenty about" psychology I don't understand why.

In a "better mood" Is that all you think depression, self harm and wanting to die are, a bad mood? I wouldn't be surprised if she's very hurt and afraid and trying to avoid another round of your destructive and demeaning tough love approach. For instance, telling her she's selfish and she'll go to hell?? Are you serious? Would you dream of saying such horrible stuff to anyone with a physical illness?
    What do you mean your options? You might feel helpless but how do you think she feels. She can't switch off ghastly clinical depression. I suggest you read something factual and sensible about her illness.
    Please leave her treatment to your GP and try to treat her with the respect, love and kindness anyone who's ill deserves and needs. Are you prepared to deal with the possible tragic consequences of trying to use bullying control over anyone with a serious illness like hers? No-one self harms or wants to die without good reason, why can't you understand that?
    The medication will help lift her serotonin levels which are obviously low if she's so ill and that will take weeks to kick in. You can even tell yourself it's an, obviously much preferable to you, physical illness for that reason.
    If she's not starting to feel better after 8/9 weeks she probably needs different medication.

I am not convinced the OP is being honest and genuine about the 'situation' with his sister. Has he even said how old she is?