Will London/the UK ever get to host the Olympic & Paralympic Games again?

Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
Forum Member
✭✭
Random thread but since we are in a Olympic & Paralympic Games year again and nearly 4 years since the amazing and spectacular London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Games just got me thinking if London or any other city in the UK will ever host the games again?

I would love it if the Olympics could come to the UK again either in 2032 (20th anniversary of London 2012) or even in 2024/2028. The USA had the games in 1984 and 1996 so there is no reason why London or even Glasgow can't hold the games so soon after the previous one as the UK is pretty much virtually ready to host a major tournament again.

Until we host again I gues there is still online clips and DVD's to remind us of the BEST ever Olympic & Paralympic Games.

Comments

• oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for at least 30 or 40 years minimum. Too many "new money" countries will be bidding for a long while yet I think.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oblivian wrote: »
    Not for at least 30 or 40 years minimum. Too many "new money" countries will be bidding for a long while yet I think.

Because of the increasing cost it's getting more difficult to get cities to bid, both Boston and Hamburg pulled out of bidding for 2024 due to lack of public support. In practice autocracies like Russia China or the Gulf states are increasingly getting the big sporting events as only they are able and willing to afford the sums needed without having to worry about taxpayer opinion.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    This. Our two previous Olympics before 2012 were 1908 and 1948 (should've been 1944, but World War II was on), which is a 40 year gap. Also, London is the only city to have hosted the Olympics three times.
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think probably when we are all gone So our children and Grandchildren might see it though
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What's the status of the Olympic Stadium?

I know West Ham are moving in and it's also down for some concerts and possibly NFL and Rugby.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an 8 year-old (!) thread for the Olympic Stadium on SkyscraperCity that appears to be updated on a regular basis.

In the (relative) short-term, there is next year's IAAF/IPC double-header.
  • Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    This. Our two previous Olympics before 2012 were 1908 and 1948 (should've been 1944, but World War II was on), which is a 40 year gap. Also, London is the only city to have hosted the Olympics three times.

I really hope we don't have to wait for 30+ years for the Olympics to be in the UK again, ok granted Australia deserves to get it before us again and I hope their bid for 2028 is successful.

However the USA should NOT be granted host nation status until way after the 2036 games as what I said before they hosted in 1984 and 1996 so it would mean if they won the 2024-36 games they would have had 3 games in less than 40-50 years. We had to wait 104 years to host 3 games.

I know it might sound crazy and a long shot but still I will have my fingers crossed for #London2032 or even #Glasgow2032
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the UK does get the olympics again, you can be sure that it would be London again.

The way in which the media / government treated the failed bids by both Manchester and Birmingham in the latter part of the last century was lamentable. Virtually to a man (and woman) they either ignored or publicly rubbished the bids - and without government support your chances, as a city, of being chosen are just about zero.

Come the London bid we were all virtually instructed to support the bid, the media did it's job and even royalty got involved - none of which happened in the other cases.

Personally I hope the UK doesn't bid again, it's a monstrous waste of money - when you look at how the UK has actually benefited from 2012 (London got some benefit; Stratford got a new station and (yet another) shopping centre - and the olympic stadium has been given away (virtually) to a football team!

In Europe there does appear to be a reluctance among the public to support these events - in referenda, both Hamburg and Munich rejected bids put forward by their political masters.
  • Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Sirocco758 wrote: »
    I really hope we don't have to wait for 30+ years for the Olympics to be in the UK again, ok granted Australia deserves to get it before us again and I hope their bid for 2028 is successful.

However the USA should NOT be granted host nation status until way after the 2036 games as what I said before they hosted in 1984 and 1996 so it would mean if they won the 2024-36 games they would have had 3 games in less than 40-50 years. We had to wait 104 years to host 3 games.

I know it might sound crazy and a long shot but still I will have my fingers crossed for #London2032 or even #Glasgow2032

Completely agree with all of this however as @ATNotts says if the UK were to host the Olympics again it will only be in London not Glasgow (even though the Commonwealth Games in 2014 were pretty amazing). London 2032 would be perfect.

If there is any fairness then yeah either the Brisbane/Melbourne bid for the 2028 games should be awarded to Australia.

The USA on the other hand are nothing but greedy and selfish bidding for the 2024 games since if they won they would have had it three times in the matter of 40 years. The IOC should ban the USA until at least the 2046/2050 games before bidding again.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    If the UK does get the olympics again, you can be sure that it would be London again.

The way in which the media / government treated the failed bids by both Manchester and Birmingham in the latter part of the last century was lamentable. Virtually to a man (and woman) they either ignored or publicly rubbished the bids - and without government support your chances, as a city, of being chosen are just about zero.

Come the London bid we were all virtually instructed to support the bid, the media did it's job and even royalty got involved - none of which happened in the other cases.

Personally I hope the UK doesn't bid again, it's a monstrous waste of money - when you look at how the UK has actually benefited from 2012 (London got some benefit; Stratford got a new station and (yet another) shopping centre - and the olympic stadium has been given away (virtually) to a football team!

In Europe there does appear to be a reluctance among the public to support these events - in referenda, both Hamburg and Munich rejected bids put forward by their political masters.

I think the biggest problem with the failed Manchester & Birmingham bids is that the IOC didn't really take them seriously. The IOC want internationally renowned cities with infrastructure to match and no offence to Birmingham & Manchester but they don't fall into this category. Glasgow falls into the same category as well. I had a great time attending the Commonwealth games but getting accommodation without taking out a 2nd Mortgage was a nightmare & the transport infrastructure creaked at times. Just couldn't see them coping with the Olympics which is obviously a much bigger event. I think for the same reasons the Hamburg & Boston bids for 2024 were non starters. If Germany hosts the Olympics again it will be Berlin

I suspect it won't be for another 50/60 years before London hosts again. European cities only get the games every 12 years. Assuming Paris or Rome get 2024 the other city may want to bid again. Add in cities like Madrid & Berlin, then Moscow & Baku etc. and the years/decades roll by.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with the failed Manchester & Birmingham bids is that the IOC didn't really take them seriously. The IOC want internationally renowned cities with infrastructure to match and no offence to Birmingham & Manchester but they don't fall into this category. Glasgow falls into the same category as well. I had a great time attending the Commonwealth games but getting accommodation without taking out a 2nd Mortgage was a nightmare & the transport infrastructure creaked at times. Just couldn't see them coping with the Olympics which is obviously a much bigger event. I think for the same reasons the Hamburg & Boston bids for 2024 were non starters. If Germany hosts the Olympics again it will be Berlin

I suspect it won't be for another 50/60 years before London hosts again. European cities only get the games every 12 years. Assuming Paris or Rome get 2024 the other city may want to bid again. Add in cities like Madrid & Berlin, then Moscow & Baku etc. and the years/decades roll by.

I think that to some extent the Birmingham and Manchester problem was a bit "chicken and egg" - in so far as the government and media made no attempt to play up either city's standing, and therefore they were, as you say, not taken seriously by the IOC.

It's sad that in UK there is only one, perhaps two if you include Edinburgh, internationally renowned cities - whereas Munich and Barcelona both held olympics in Europe. The former is certainly not internationally renowned, and the latter Spain's second city (and Catalunya's first!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that to some extent the Birmingham and Manchester problem was a bit "chicken and egg" - in so far as the government and media made no attempt to play up either city's standing, and therefore they were, as you say, not taken seriously by the IOC.

It's sad that in UK there is only one, perhaps two if you include Edinburgh, internationally renowned cities - whereas Munich and Barcelona both held olympics in Europe. The former is certainly not internationally renowned, and the latter Spain's second city (and Catalunya's first!).

Munich was West Germany's best option, today given how the Hamburg bid fell apart it's clear it's Berlin or bust if Germany wants to host it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Munich was West Germany's best option, today given how the Hamburg bid fell apart it's clear it's Berlin or bust if Germany wants to host it again.

The Hamburg bid didn't fall apart as such; the public in the region, in a referendum, voted against the Hamburg bid. no public support = no bid. It would be interesting to see what the result would be if the people of Berlin and Brandenburg were allowed their say.

Speculating even further, would Londoners have voted in favour of the 2012 bid, had they been allowed the chance in a referendum? I honestly don't believe the people of Rio would have!
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The UK must be the only major olympic nation that depends on just the one city bidding to host the games to potentially winning the bid.

Why does every other major nation that has hosted the Olympic games have had several different host cities, yet somehow for the UK it’s either London or nowhere?
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    The UK must be the only major olympic nation that depends on just the one city bidding to host the games to potentially winning the bid.

Why does every other major nation that has hosted the Olympic games have had several different host cities, yet somehow for the UK it’s either London or nowhere?

Not really - as has already been mentioned if Germany were to host again it would be Berlin. I couldn't imagine anywhere other than Rome or Paris for Italy & France. Even for a country as big as Russia it's difficult to imagine it going anywhere other than Moscow. Japan is going with Tokyo & again couldn't see another Japanese city hosting.

So quite a few really
  • GordonGordonGordonGordon Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really - as has already been mentioned if Germany were to host again it would be Berlin. I couldn't imagine anywhere other than Rome or Paris for Italy & France. Even for a country as big as Russia it's difficult to imagine it going anywhere other than Moscow. Japan is going with Tokyo & again couldn't see another Japanese city hosting.

So quite a few really

Disagree.

Marseille could host one easily as could Milan. In fact I think next time it goes to Italy it won't be in Rome. Germany have so many big cities that they want to promote to the world that I think they wouldn't go with Berlin next time round.

I would hesitate to call it arrogance but to expect an Olympics to come back to London in 2032 smacks of it. Entire continents have yet to host a games. I loved the Olympic games here but I think we should hang fire for at least 50 years.
  • RedPantsRedPants Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having the Olympics in London was great for the lucky people who got to see it live. For the rest of us we watched on TV and it wasn't really any different from any other Olympics.

And it cost us all. A lot.

All this stuff about legacy and benefiting the whole nation? I work in the leisure industry in the north. We saw a small blip in the weeks after the games (lots of enquiries about where to play handball!) but that soon fizzled out.

Great fun it was but a big vanity project for a small minority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree.

Marseille could host one easily as could Milan. In fact I think next time it goes to Italy it won't be in Rome. Germany have so many big cities that they want to promote to the world that I think they wouldn't go with Berlin next time round.

I would hesitate to call it arrogance but to expect an Olympics to come back to London in 2032 smacks of it. Entire continents have yet to host a games. I loved the Olympic games here but I think we should hang fire for at least 50 years.

The IOC prefers global cities, the last "regional" city to host the Olympics was Atlanta which wasn't considered a success.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The IOC prefers global cities, the last "regional" city to host the Olympics was Atlanta which wasn't considered a success.

Exactly - the IOC members want the sights, the 5 star hotels and the shopping. They don't want Birmingham, Marseille or Hamburg they want London, Paris and Berlin.

The only recent second city getting the Games which was a success was Barcelona - a beautiful coastal city of course that the IOC were happy to stay in.
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we'll likely host it again eventually, not for a long time though.
  • Rascar_CapacRascar_Capac Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Because of the increasing cost it's getting more difficult to get cities to bid, both Boston and Hamburg pulled out of bidding for 2024 due to lack of public support. In practice autocracies like Russia China or the Gulf states are increasingly getting the big sporting events as only they are able and willing to afford the sums needed without having to worry about taxpayer opinion.
    I agree, although the world is getting richer, the demands of the event, and security, mean the pool of potential countries is not growing, possibly even shrinking. A lot will depend on how Brazil goes, I know they were hardly thrilled with the Fifa World cup.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Exactly - the IOC members want the sights, the 5 star hotels and the shopping. They don't want Birmingham, Marseille or Hamburg they want London, Paris and Berlin.

The only recent second city getting the Games which was a success was Barcelona - a beautiful coastal city of course that the IOC were happy to stay in.

If you mean "second" city not the capital then Sydney was more recent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    If you mean "second" city not the capital then Sydney was more recent.

Sydney is Australia's biggest city, Canberra is little known as anything other than a pub quiz answer.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Middle Saturday., saw Triathlon and Football at Wembley.
    London Undeground packed with people going to Earls Court for Volleyball.

Coming home on London to Bedford line, full of people who had been to venues like the Dome.

Manchester did a good Commonwealths, as did Glasgow.
    But aside from Birmingham, not many UK cities have the infrastructure for a Commonwealths, or a European Games.
    London could do either and Olympics. But the Summer Games is such a beast I cannot see another UK City do a games.

With Australia 2018, South Africa 2022, be interesting if any bids are made for 2026 Commonwealths. 2030 Centennary, 1st was in Canada in 1930. London head the second in 1934. Maybe a final Coomonwealths as hosts are becoming difficult to find.

European Games, after Baku in 2015 and Sochi/Kazan possibly doing 2019, needs a Western host in 2023.

FIFA World Cup. 2030 earliest.
    Rugby Union World Cup. 2019 Japan, 2023 tbc possible Europe Ireland or Italy, 2027 Southern Hemisphere, 2031 closest place Ireland, if Italy get 2023 (or USA/Argentina), 2035 Europe if misses 2031.

Essentially be prepared to travel into Europe. After 2019 Cricket World Cup is last scheduled party in England.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Sirocco758 wrote: »

I don't get this. Australia held the games more recently that USA. Why should a country of 24m people hold the games just 28 years after the last one?
    RedPants wrote: »
    Having the Olympics in London was great for the lucky people who got to see it live. For the rest of us we watched on TV and it wasn't really any different from any other Olympics.
    That's what I thought beforhand but I changed my mind. The torch relay was amazing - as good as the games IMO. London 2012 didn't feel like just another Olumpics to me.