Options

Whats your phobia.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Birds (pigeons, chickens and tukeys are the worst:eek:)
    Insects with wings (moths are by far the worst:eek:)
    vomiting
  • Options
    Am I Alive?Am I Alive? Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Snakes
    Lambs
    Ocean
    Heights
    Fair Rides
    Nets
    Spiders
    Kids :eek:
    Green Haired Trolls
    Curtains (after watching Scary Movie, I always have to check that no one is standing behind them)
    Clowns
    Puppet Masters
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I've stuck my hands up and into most thing but wet leafs make me shudder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have agoraphobia
    V39 wrote: »
    me too but I have learned to cope with it and now enjoy my life. But for 7 years I barely left the house.

I had agoraphobia for over a year and eventually managed to overcome it with the help of counselling and medication. I am also very claustrophobic. I would love to know why.

I find that cutting out or cutting down on all stimulants helps. Things like sugar, coffee, alcohol and cigarettes make me feel very edgy so I have to restrict them or cut them out.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mice, Rats, Snakes.... *shivers*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mice, Rats, Snakes.... *shivers*

I hate them too Em.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooked egg white ( the sight & feel of it makes me heave.)
    Rats/mice/ i live near a farm & the cat is always bringing them home & leaving them on doorstep. I cant move them so have to wait for oh to do it.
    Big spiders - Nasty things, i have got one of those plug in things that deter them, it has lessened as i think it stops them wanting to breed. Some one told me when i was small that spiders come & drink your dribble when you asleep. I have never forgotten that & always put the corner of pillow case in my mouth before i go to sleep. (shudder )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I don't know what my phobia is called but I have a fear of not being able to walk away or get out of a situation - which normally means I avoid these things or you'll find me running down the road in the other direction before I even get there - i.e. at the Doctors, dentist, opticians etc, or if I am stuck in a queue (If I start panicking I have to get out of it) can't sit and get my shoes heeled, didn't travel on the underground for 5 years
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stung in the eye three times in succession by a wasp when i was young. :eek:

My twisted revenge was to stun the wasps in my house and then crucify them (i'd find one of my Mum's pins from her sewing box and push it through the body of the wasp and leave it stuck into the window sill). I also used to spray them with hairspray and either leave them to set or burn them. Am i a bad man? :(

Nowadays i just get my wife to coax them out of the house (imagine Tom and Jerry with the woman on the chair and Jerry running around her feet - that's me with wasps). :o
  • Options
    Isle_Of_WeatherIsle_Of_Weather Posts: 4,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it is worth noting that a fear of heights, snakes, spiders and so forth is something we all have kind of inbuilt. It keeps us alive. We are all scared of heights really and rightly so.

Exposure to such things reduces our innate fear.

It has been shown that children's reluctance to eat greens comes from a very real danger of eating something poisonous in the days when we eat a lot of wild outdoor foods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Cockroaches!

I totally freeze when I see one and cant seem move for some reason. Even though I know they wont hurt me and are not a threat I cant even bring myslef to venture close enough to even stand on one!

My worst fear came true about 3 years ago when I was help ing my girfriend clear out her grans garden. I was under a large tree when something fell in my head, At 1st I though it was a brid dropping as they were a few large birds flying around at the time. I reached up and scraped the object off my head and discovered it was a cockroach. I dont remember much about the next 2 mins other tahan my girlfriend was in tears of laughter as I was jumping round the garden screaming my head off as though my arm had just been blown off by explosives!

The sad thing is I am Ok around spiders and any other insects, I have no problems with snakes or slimy things, but cockroaches are my only totally irrational fear! Weird hu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are being smelly and death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been shown that children's reluctance to eat greens comes from a very real danger of eating something poisonous in the days when we eat a lot of wild outdoor foods.

Agreed... Children's taste buds see greens as a poison as it amplifies the bitter tase of these types of vegetable. Sprouts and spinach for example are a complete no-no for most children.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders. They absolutely terrify me. I'm fine if they're in the garden but scream like a little girl if I see one in the house.

I once had a panic attacked when as huge one crawled out of the duvet cover while I was changing it. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masks and face paint, or people hiding in the dark. People hiding in the dark with masks or face paint. :eek:

Think of the chamber of horrors bit in Madame Tussauds, where those actors are waiting to jump out at you with their faces covered to frighten you. It's irrational because I know they're actors, and I'm not just scared, I'm genuinely paralysed with fear. Panic attacks and all sorts. :(

I don't like anything whose face I can't see, even those people in friendly suits at kids parks or doing promo in the streets make me want to cry. It's a bit stupid really.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching people eat disgusting insects & bugs :mad::eek:
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Lifts. The thought of not being able to get out of one, and the horrible feeling when it's moving. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Not really a phobia, I guess, but I really don't like clowns.

And I absolutely hate masks!
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am terrified of moths and have to get my girlfriend to bravely remove them before I can go back into the room.

She tells me that they are harmless, so why do they make right for me as soon as they get in? It's like they know.

I'm quite sure if I were old and/or infirm then a moth could easily induce a heart attack. They have certainly made me bark my shin before now as I have pelted for the nearest door.

Harmless my foot.

Another thing I dislike intensely, although it is not a full blown phobia is other peoples hair. Not while it's attatched but after it has been cut.
    A "friend" once handed me one of his dreadlocks that had come off somehow (I didn't ask) and it was horrible and oogy and yuky and it made my flesh crawl. Eew.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Spiders and heights.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cotton wool.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not telling.

It's ridiculous, and it's very inconvenient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Clowns and snakes :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waking up during surgery or being eaten alive by lions.

Both pretty rational fears really.
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Dying. It's not death itself that bothers me as I believe in the after-life but it's how I actually get there that nags at me at times...... the actual transition...... ugh! :eek: