At my tether over blue screen message!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter recently purchased an ibm laptop with windows xp on it and have recently recieved the following error.

c000021a (fatal system error) The windows logon process system process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000142 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
system has been shut down.

It just stops there, nothing else, nada, I can bring up the options for the various safe modes and such but nothing seems to work, can anyone help me because after a long search on the web, it's proved fruitless.

I am not the most technically minded when it comes to computers, so a lot of the solutions i came across didnt really help.

Some seemed to suggest that a complete reinstall of windows might be beneficial, but we didn't get a disk with the Laptop.

If anyone can help,

it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Comments

• plymeverton1878plymeverton1878 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Done any recent Windows updates?

If so, do a system restore and see if the problem disappears.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some techy stuff if you dont mind playing http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of those are actually of any help though as I can't get past the blue screen. :(
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Search Google for info on a recovery option for that specific laptop. Depending on the age, some will have a recovery partition on the hard drive which will allow you to restore to factory settings (and wipe everything in the process).

Failing that, your best option is to source an XP disk and reinstall. The Windows COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop will tell you which type of disk you need (retail or OEM) and hopefully the serial key will still be visible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    What ibm laptop is it?
    Does the laptop have xp on a hidden drive for install rather than a cd?
    From having the laptop have you installed anything?

Also, have you tried powering up the laptop with nothing attached, printers, usb etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a think pad t42. Nothing else is ever attached to it and nothing else downloaded on to it, no idea about hidden drive. I can get the safe mode menu up and IBM menu, but neither of them help much!
    Forum Member
    Its a think pad t42. Nothing else is ever attached to it and nothing else downloaded on to it, no idea about hidden drive. I can get the safe mode menu up and IBM menu, but neither of them help much!

On safe mode menu, have you tried the Last Known configuration, this will boot from where it last shutdown correctly.

Also in safe mode you can try 'Safe Mode with Networking' and once in check the event log for any clues before the blue screen. You ok with looking at event log.

Has it blue screened from day one, or just started?
    Forum Member
    do you have a license key on the machine by the way for xp, like a sticker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    do you have a license key on the machine by the way for xp, like a sticker?

has only blue screened today. yes htere is a sticker. None of the safe mode options work very well at all, they get so far then it goes to blue screen.

People keep saying about downloading something, but how can I download something if I cant get into the actual thing?

Even if I could use this PC to get something on a disk, would it actually do any good if the laptop doesn't start up properly???

PDK
    Forum Member
    re downloading, what people are asking is have you recently applied windows updates like a service pack or installed a new piece of software or attached a printer or usb cable just before the blu screen first happened.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard to say what's wrong. It could be a system corruption, total hard drive fail or a system board problem.

Last resort. If you really can't fix Windows you could always try Ubuntu 11.04 at no cost by downloading and creating a CD or USB pen on another PC. Then booting up with Ubuntu on the Thinkpad should prove whether you have a fatal problem or not.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-things-you-can-do-when-windows-xp-wont-boot/6031733

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once in a very odd while I seem get the blue screen also and then it reboots its self and my desktop PC is only about 11 months old.

Darren
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with old laptops is you may not know their history. It could have had a past water/coffee spill or the hard drive could just be on it's way out. The best thing to do when getting one is to create the restore and tools DVDs.

Mind you if it is old, money is an issue, and you're not Windows dependent a Linux OS can be an excellent replacement.