HD v SD same quality on SamsungTV?

13»

Comments

• IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    There's no way politicians will obsolete millions of brand new tv's simply to allow the BBC and others to agree a higher standard for 4K. Its a race now SMPTE vs Chinese importers and atm it looks like the latter are going to win which means say good by to any decent standard as the latter have already stated their aim is to keep costs low to achieve mass sales by importing very low spec sets (at least according to one report I read).

Can't agree with that, there is no such thing as 4k TV (broadcasts) in the UK so basically people are buying 1080 HD TV's with 4 times the pixels, those TV's will not be obsolete for many years.
    If and when a 4K standard is reached those same people could go out and buy a proper 4K TV, but I'm sure many of them will be more than happy with all their lovely pixels, PQ doesn't seem to be important to a lot of people they'll watch any old rubbish.

If I bought a new TV and HD looked like SD I would return it.
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    i saw the other day an advert for a new curved OLED screen by LG - this must b awesome......+ cost very little to run.

i would agree with a recent conment re source making a difference. some blurays dont look much better than the dvd, while others are clearly a step up in quality.
    i remember when dvd became mainstream, some looked only marginally better than vhs while others were way better. esp with regard to background "grain" where it can be visible on both dvd + bluray (+vhs in the past). i saw on DS that this grain is some times added for effect.

Nice tech, in another 10 years they might have perfected it.

The first few Twilight films have a lot of added "grain" effect and the Black Swan film that was on 4 HD a few weeks ago looked awful, the first Snowman animation looked better, I don't see the point in it myself.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Can't agree with that, there is no such thing as 4k TV (broadcasts) in the UK so basically people are buying 1080 HD TV's with 4 times the pixels, those TV's will not be obsolete for many years.

As Technologist, myself and others have pointed out 4K isn't just about the pixels. I'd say the biggest leap forward with 4K is actually the contrast although the colour space is a significant advancement too. This means that not only do you get extra detail and sharpness through the increased pixel count / smaller pixel size, but more importantly, the greater contrast and colour ranges allow for a more true to life rendering which gives much greater depth and realism to the picture. That's why 4K / 8K can look almost 3D without glasses and why they are often likened to looking through a window rather than at a screen.

This is also where the obsoletion problem arises.

It seems the SMPTE want to agree a standard based on a high frame rate (potentially anywhere from 50-300 fps), and advanced colour / contrast ranges so as to provide those real 4K wow pictures.

The Chinese on the other hand, are now reported to be putting into the market next year 30 MILLION 4K tvs. However, its also been suggested that to keep purchase costs down and thus ensure volume sales, they may sell tv's with only 25fps (progressive) as currently and with similar contrast / colour ranges as current tv's.

That means that if the SMPTE subsequently agree a broadcasting standard that's different eg 100P or 300P with high contrast / colour ranges, those TV's will not be able to reproduce that standard. That's how they will become potentially obsolete (in reality I don't think the government would allow it so the broadcasting standard would become fixed by the tv's). 4K is much more than simply 4 times as many pixels, and that's why the picture is so much better than HD.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    i saw the other day an advert for a new curved OLED screen by LG - this must b awesome......+ cost very little to run.

They've been around for a little while. Samsung do them as well.

The theory is it gives a more natural view. The issue as I see it is it only really works if you're sat directly in front of the screen. So ideal for solo watching but maybe not so good if you have friends around watching a film or match and you're sat over several different sofas / chairs at differing angles to the tv.
    Forum Member
    As Technologist, myself and others have pointed out 4K isn't just about the pixels. I'd say the biggest leap forward with 4K is actually the contrast although the colour space is a significant advancement too. This means that not only do you get extra detail and sharpness through the increased pixel count / smaller pixel size, but more importantly, the greater contrast and colour ranges allow for a more true to life rendering which gives much greater depth and realism to the picture. That's why 4K / 8K can look almost 3D without glasses and why they are often likened to looking through a window rather than at a screen.

This is also where the obsoletion problem arises.

It seems the SMPTE want to agree a standard based on a high frame rate (potentially anywhere from 50-300 fps), and advanced colour / contrast ranges so as to provide those real 4K wow pictures.

The Chinese on the other hand, are now reported to be putting into the market next year 30 MILLION 4K tvs. However, its also been suggested that to keep purchase costs down and thus ensure volume sales, they may sell tv's with only 25fps (progressive) as currently and with similar contrast / colour ranges as current tv's.

That means that if the SMPTE subsequently agree a broadcasting standard that's different eg 100P or 300P with high contrast / colour ranges, those TV's will not be able to reproduce that standard. That's how they will become potentially obsolete (in reality I don't think the government would allow it so the broadcasting standard would become fixed by the tv's). 4K is much more than simply 4 times as many pixels, and that's why the picture is so much better than HD.
    I'm not saying that 4K is just four times the pixels (hopefully it won't be), I'm saying that if silly people want to buy a 4K TV NOW it is just a HD TV with more pixels, I completely agree that the ones being sold now or possible next year aren't 4K TV's, just TV's with more pixels.

Personally I think you're needlessly worrying about this, eventually we will have a 4K standard and we'll be able to buy a Full 4K TV complete with the official UK 4K logo and sticker, it won't matter if 100 million unofficial cheap 4K sets get sold first. Silly people will just have to buy another and pop there non 4K plethora of pixels set into the bedroom. Those TV's aren't going to be obsolete, they never were proper 4K TV's anyway and they will still work well enough for most people.
    Forum Member
    They've been around for a little while. Samsung do them as well.

Both OLED based maybe but they are completely different technology, Samsung do conventional OLED but I think I prefer LG's (Kodak's) WOLED-CF and an extra WOLED pixel. (White & Colour Filters)

I like the curve, unfortunately I don't think they are wall mountable, apparently the larger LG 4K 77" prototype only has a 5 degree curve, at 5 metre every surface of the screen would be at the same distance from your eyes. Looks good probably isn't going to make that much difference in the real world.