Options

Parking ticket help.

Comments

• Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disabled badge holders have to pay in quite a lot of places nowadays. My neighbour has a blue badge and has to pay for parking in most car parks. He religiously checks the signs. If he has to pay, he goes elsewhere, as he hates paying. :)

I only live in a small town. We dont go far and most places here are free even for non disabled.

Its not a mistake we will make again :blush:
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all very much I think I have enough for her from that.. See a you tube vidio from watch dog that im sure will reassure her very much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XAIcdi9niHA

I don't know how much that will reassure her as that video was posted four years ago and there have been changes in the law since. It would be foolish to rely on anything in that video without first checking it is still current.

A case in point on a recent television series about parking wars there was a woman who was adamant that she was not going to pay her fine as it was invalid. She trundled along to the appeal hearing and gave her speech explaining why she was not paying. The parking adjudicator (a qualified lawyer) then demolished her case pointing out the point of law she was relying on had been overturned by the court of appeal who had then confirmed the legality of the charges in question. The woman then got a further shock as not only did she have to pay the fine, she had to pay the higher rate for having lodged an appeal and lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how much that will reassure her as that video was posted four years ago and there have been changes in the law since. It would be foolish to rely on anything in that video without first checking it is still current.

A case in point on a recent television series about parking wars there was a woman who was adamant that she was not going to pay her fine as it was invalid. She trundled along to the appeal hearing and gave her speech explaining why she was not paying. The parking adjudicator (a qualified lawyer) then demolished her case pointing out the point of law she was relying on had been overturned by the court of appeal who had then confirmed the legality of the charges in question. The woman then got a further shock as not only did she have to pay the fine, she had to pay the higher rate for having lodged an appeal and lost.

Yes I realised that after someone else post some other advice after. Good job I didn't rush off and tell her.

those that gave me the link and advice for Pepipoo. I have registered and cant get in its saying Sorry, we could not find a member using those log in details. even though on the front page I could see I was the newest member. I have changed my password but still no luck
    Cant email the admin as when I click the link outlook pops up and I dont have that set up.

Any ideas on how to get in?
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The advice to ignore it is wrong. This used to be the case but isn't any more. They will take you to court and they will win. You parked illegally. It was clearly signposted as you admit. Nothing to do but pay the fine I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    The advice to ignore it is wrong. This used to be the case but isn't any more. They will take you to court and they will win. You parked illegally. It was clearly signposted as you admit. Nothing to do but pay the fine I'm afraid.

I said the parking attendant said it was clearly displayed.
    But as I keep saying I would not have noticed it as would not even know to go to the pay and display, as never heard of paying to park to eat before, nor of blue badge holders paying.

If we have to pay we will, all I know is that everyone on DS is always saying dont pay because blah blah blah and as soon as I try to find out the info on why people dont pay, everyone is now saying pay it :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I realised that after someone else post some other advice after. Good job I didn't rush off and tell her.

those that gave me the link and advice for Pepipoo. I have registered and cant get in its saying Sorry, we could not find a member using those log in details. even though on the front page I could see I was the newest member. I have changed my password but still no luck
    Cant email the admin as when I click the link outlook pops up and I dont have that set up.

e-mail them here,

webmaster@pepipoo.com

Include your username.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need to register to read the advice. I have already given this link in my other post.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said the parking attendant said it was clearly displayed.
    But as I keep saying I would not have noticed it as would not even know to go to the pay and display, as never heard of paying to park to eat before, nor of blue badge holders paying.

If we have to pay we will, all I know is that everyone on DS is always saying dont pay because blah blah blah and as soon as I try to find out the info on why people dont pay, everyone is now saying pay it :D

First things first, read this so you don't make any more mistakes regarding the blue badge in the future (especially page 17),

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206022/blue-badge-rights-responsibilities.pdf

Second, the advice has now changed. It used to be to ignore but within the last 12 months that has changed.

As for the the YouTube video, the newest comment on there is from a person who got prosecuted and now has CCJ.

Not being funny, but virtually everyone is giving the same advice and it appears that you still don't want to listen ?
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I will take advice. But just saying Don't pay isnt really advice :confused: I need to give my daughter hard evidence on why she does not have to pay.

I will wait till one of DS more knowledgeable members can help me out, rather than someone who thinks I should just take the first bit of advice I am given
    Thank you anyway.:)

I followed the advice on here and a few other sites, they said don't pay - we didn't and we've heard nothing since :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    First things first, read this so you don't make any more mistakes regarding the blue badge in the future (especially page 17),

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206022/blue-badge-rights-responsibilities.pdf

Second, the advice has now changed. It used to be to ignore but within the last 12 months that has changed.

As for the the YouTube video, the newest comment on there is from a person who got prosecuted and now has CCJ.

Not being funny, but virtually everyone is giving the same advice and it appears that you still don't want to listen ?

Not everyone is giving the same advice :confused: even on that forum dedicated to this type of thing everyone is saying different.

Thank you for the link will give that a read and print out.

She is going to put the appeal in to Popla as that is the next step advised by the majority by far.

Thank you everyone. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    You don't need to register to read the advice. I have already given this link in my other post.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Yes I see that now.. Thank you. Just been reading a few threads and a few polls.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I will take advice. But just saying Don't pay isnt really advice :confused: I need to give my daughter hard evidence on why she does not have to pay.

I will wait till one of DS more knowledgeable members can help me out, rather than someone who thinks I should just take the first bit of advice I am given
    Thank you anyway.:)

I wasn't having a go at you, just being matter of fact. It seems that you're more of the belief that because no one saw the sign, then it constitutes a viable reason to have not paid? Fair or not, that's debateable I guess.

I disputed a parking ticket once, but that was only because the attendant hadn't seen the pay display ticket, and I produced it as evidence and quashed the ticket.

I would have only suggested paying because of the mote recent changes, the fact signage was clearly visible, and justifying not paying would be difficult, I guess it's their discretion to a point. I wouldn't want the potential legal ramifications as it would affect my job, so if I made this same mistake I'd just pay and be done with it, but each to their own, and all that!
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I would suggest you have a read of this easy to follow guide on the Parking Ticket board of Money Saving Expert

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

The route if you are in England or Wales is:-

- For a windscreen ticket, wait for the Notice to Keeper, soft appeal, to get your POPLA code, as 9 times out of 10 they will reject your appeal,

- Submit a well formulated POPLA appeal, that will cost you nothing and the scammers £28, and will almost always be successful.

If you were in Scotland (or the parking 'event' happened there) the advice remains to ignore as there is no keeper liability there.

One final thing, because there is a disability related angle to this case then the Disability Discrimination Act comes into play and Napier's trade body the BPA have strict guidelines for its members in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    OP, I would suggest you have a read of this easy to follow guide on the Parking Ticket board of Money Saving Expert

- For a windscreen ticket, wait for the Notice to Keeper, soft appeal, to get your POPLA code, as 9 times out of 10 they will reject your appeal,

- Submit a well formulated POPLA appeal, that will cost you nothing and the scammers £28, and will almost always be successful.

If you were in Scotland (or the parking 'event' happened there) the advice remains to ignore as there is no keeper liability there.

One final thing, because there is a disability related angle to this case then the Disability Discrimination Act comes into play and Napier's trade body the BPA have strict guidelines for its members in those circumstances.

Thank you I have sent her the link. :) Now its up to her if she wants to go further or just pay it and have it over with.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the local council are not enforcing it then just ignore it and don't pay.

This is such bad advice now. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 has now made it very unwise to ignore.

OP, appeal it with the company then if not satisfied ask for the appeal to go to POPLA. I bet they'll drop the whole thing.

Go to the PEPIPOO website for some proper advice.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    She hasn't ignored it thus far, but they will not back down. I'm thinking if it did go to court they would lose? Who would ever think ( if you dont go out all the time) that you had to pay to park to eat in the restaurant anyway let alone someone with a blue badge.

Sorry to say but blue badge has no legal standing in private car parks
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »

The leaflet that comes with the blue badge makes it perfectly clear that you may have to pay in certain car parks (see page 17 of the link)

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »

I think me and my daughter might know that by now, as she got a ticket, didntcha know ;-)

We didn't realise it was a private car park for the lakes, we thought it was for the restaurant that we were having lunch in.

Still its done now.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think me and my daughter might know that by now, as she got a ticket, didntcha know ;-)

We didn't realise it was a private car park for the lakes, we thought it was for the restaurant that we were having lunch in.

Still its done now.

Even if it was, it would still be a private car park and they could charge if they wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Even if it was, it would still be a private car park and they could charge if they wanted.

Yes they could, but they would not get many diners then, if any.

We have a few restaurants here where you just give your car reg at the door as you go in and are exempt from fees or tickets.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this certainly can't be good for the restaurant in question. If blue badge holders are getting ticketed then they are unlikely to return!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much are they asking for, out of interest?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »

Yep.
    Spouse managed to get a 'fine' from G24 Ltd but they waived it when I followed the advice in the link above.
    Just make sure that you only write or fill in forms as the registered keeper and don't engage as to who was the driver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much are they asking for, out of interest?

£80 :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Well this certainly can't be good for the restaurant in question. If blue badge holders are getting ticketed then they are unlikely to return!

Well it was probably a one off for us at the time.. But We did really like it there and thought we would go back and stay the day to look around and see what else is there as it looked pretty interesting. but we have better were we are, and for free.