Options

Scaffolding interfering with TV?

Si's GalSi's Gal Posts: 2,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the last week, we have lost quite a few Freeview channels, ITVBe and Quest being examples. We could tune to the channels but just got blank black screens and when we retuned the channels had disappeared from the list.

Is it possible that next door's scaffolding (we're terraced) is interfering? They are having their chimney repointed so the scaffold is high.

Comments

• Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm presuming it's in the direction your aerial is pointed?

If so then yes, quite likely to be the reason. Metal structures will 'soak up' signal causing a shadow.

Tall lumps of earthed metal like cranes also cause temporary issues for TV reception.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si's Gal wrote: »
    Is it possible that next door's scaffolding (we're terraced) is interfering?
    It is a distinct possibility, all depending upon the relative positions of the scaffolding, your aerial and the transmitter. If the scaffolding is fairly close to your aerial and up at is height, especially if the aerial is pointing straight at it, then there is a good chance that when all is back to normal you will get your signals back.

It is a pity you tried retuning, because that is the one thing you should have avoided. Now, when the scaffolding comes down, you will just have to retune again, whereas if you had left it, the removal of the scaffolding would have done it straight away (assuming that to be the problem).
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or that the aerial got bashed by a scaffold pole and thus is not pointing exactly where it used to.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks people. Albert, I did think that after I'd done it, but it was a Turn It Off And On Again decision. Never mind.

Just got to hope their builders get a move on. Well, turn up, in fact...
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks people. Albert, I did think that after I'd done it, but it was a Turn It Off And On Again decision. Never mind.

Just got to hope their builders get a move on. Well, turn up, in fact...

Just out of interest where is the scaffolding relative to the aerial? If it is close to the aerial then it can seriously affect it's performance even if the aerial is not pointing directly into the scaffolding. If the aerial is pointing directly into the scaffolding then it will be affected by all the metalwork in the way creating a sort of shadow effect.

If the aerial is several feet away and pointing away from the scaffolding then the effects will be reduced. But you can still get odd reflections off the scaffolding that can cause problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Just out of interest where is the scaffolding relative to the aerial? If it is close to the aerial then it can seriously affect it's performance even if the aerial is not pointing directly into the scaffolding. If the aerial is pointing directly into the scaffolding then it will be affected by all the metalwork in the way creating a sort of shadow effect.

If the aerial is several feet away and pointing away from the scaffolding then the effects will be reduced. But you can still get odd reflections off the scaffolding that can cause problems.

Without actually climbing on to the roof :D I'd day about 5-6 feet. And the aerial isn't pointing directly at it; the houses face east and the aerial points the same way. So they're sort of beside each other.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without actually climbing on to the roof :D I'd day about 5-6 feet. And the aerial isn't pointing directly at it; the houses face east and the aerial points the same way. So they're sort of beside each other.

As I posted the aerial doesn't have to be pointed directly at the scaffolding to be affected by it. There will be a certain amount of reflection from the metalwork of the scaffolding that can get into the side of the aerial and can cause interference to the direct signal from the transmitter.

And the reflections can affect one mux more than another so you have problems with the group of channels carried on one mux but receive the channels on the other muxes perfectly OK.

But short of moving the aerial further away there isn't really a lot you can do until the scaffolding comes down :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As I posted the aerial doesn't have to be pointed directly at the scaffolding to be affected by it. There will be a certain amount of reflection from the metalwork of the scaffolding that can get into the side of the aerial and can cause interference to the direct signal from the transmitter.

And the reflections can affect one mux more than another so you have problems with the group of channels carried on one mux but receive the channels on the other muxes perfectly OK.

But short of moving the aerial further away there isn't really a lot you can do until the scaffolding comes down :)

Move round to theirs until they chivvy their builder up, I reckon :D