Options

Offcom Confirms Sell Off of More TV Spectrum for Mobile

IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ofcom has today announced a decision to make valuable airwaves available for mobile broadband services.

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess we all knew it was coming in a way.

I hope the BBC see sense and say they will stop SD simulcasting at the same point, so giving everyone an ultimatum to switch equipment by then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see the BBC switching their SD multiplex (BBC A) to DVB-T2 any time soon. COM 7 has failed to drive take up of DVB-T2 and any upgrading has been through the natural replacement cycle. COM 8 is unlikely to ever launch now and COM 7 will get the chop. If BBC3 does go online only, I think BBC4 HD may take it's slot on the BBC B Mux (rather than 1+1 HD). The cost benefit analysis done by Ofcom assumes that viewers wont be pressured to upgrade existing Freeview receivers so they don't favour switching any muxes to DVB-T2 in a hurry.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    IanP wrote: »
    The cost benefit analysis done by Ofcom assumes that viewers wont be pressured to upgrade existing Freeview receivers so they don't favour switching any muxes to DVB-T2 in a hurry.

Indeed, and it would be perverse to do so, as most viewers are perfectly happy watching SD TV. But if Government is willing to meet the entire cost of upgrading all Freeview SD equipment, it should perhaps be done. IF there is enough remaining bandwidth!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Indeed, and it would be perverse to do so, as most viewers are perfectly happy watching SD TV. But if Government is willing to meet the entire cost of upgrading all Freeview SD equipment, it should perhaps be done. IF there is enough remaining bandwidth!

If it's government funded then it would have to be licence fee top slicing along with making it a mandatory payment to cover the extra costs!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    If it's government funded then it would have to be licence fee top slicing along with making it a mandatory payment to cover the extra costs!

Well, they could perhaps fund it from all the money they make from flogging our electromagnetic spectrum to profiteering telecomms giants!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LF top slicing = the BBC pays.

Which would be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVB-T PSB muxes are unlikely to be upgraded to DVB-T2 anytime soon. If the COM muxes choose to upgrade to DVB-T2 the only people that will be paying for new receivers are those that choose to buy them themselves. Only once DVB-T2 equipment is close to being universal will the PSBs be alllowed to consider switching at that point a very small DSO2 help scheme may be established.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    The DVB-T PSB muxes are unlikely to be upgraded to DVB-T2 anytime soon. If the COM muxes choose to upgrade to DVB-T2 the only people that will be paying for new receivers are those that choose to buy them themselves. Only once DVB-T2 equipment is close to being universal will the PSBs be alllowed to consider switching at that point a very small DSO2 help scheme may be established.

I would think that with DSO 2 and the current government statements and the considerable cost saving to the BBC , that at DSO 2 the BBC would emit in HD only .
    This may be mandating by the government or Ofcom...
    Hence the two publicly owned PSB's pushing com7 and 8 ..
    We are talking of say four plus years ahead ...
    The government could instantly aid the process by allowing only HD equipment to have the Freeview (HD) tick ... Or DTG could amend the d book ......
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the Ofcom pdf document...

After my speed read I think Ofcom seem to favour the 2x DVB-T and 4x DVB-T2 mux scenario of those listed... so as to avoid a DSO2 scenario and disenfranchising the oldsters in 2022 (or 2019 or even earlier if they get their way).

Shame really. Pity WRC-15 won't stop them doing it.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously if there was a DVB-T2 switch-over there would be no SD simulcasts. All DVB-T2 equipment is HD and AVC compatible.

I imagine the COM muxes will switch first, then eventually there'll only be one DVB-T mux left transmitting PSB channels, before that finally switches over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Obviously if there was a DVB-T2 switch-over there would be no SD simulcasts. All DVB-T2 equipment is HD and AVC compatible.

I imagine the COM muxes will switch first, then eventually there'll only be one DVB-T mux left transmitting PSB channels, before that finally switches over.

I agree that 1 DVB-T Mux is the most that is needed 2 is too many as only as there is only 9/10 SD streams/11/12 SD channels that are PSB which could all fit on one mux meaning two PSB MUXs could be DVB-T2.

I can see D3&4 having to go DVB-T2 with ITV(STV&UTV) in HD and Channel 4 in HD moving to it, allowing the BBC to use BBC B for all their channels in HD along with their radio channels, BBC Parliament and BBC RB1 which may or may not be in HD.
    BBC A will most likely carry the 9/10 SD streams/11/12 SD channels which would include S4C and BBC Alba in Wales and Scotland respectively.
    I would hope by then that S4C and BBC Alba would also be in HD on D3&4 and BBC B respectively too.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - totally inevitable from the point it was first mooted. The whole document is couched around the 'quantified benefits' of the change over the costs to prove its point. Note that table 6 in the back includes the unquantifiable benefits of the new mobile services to the population, but there is no mention of the dis-benefits for people receiving reduced numbers of channels (if they don't stump up for DVB-T2 receivers) or the costs to the individual of changing equipment to maintain channels.

But the societal problems arising from these changes are always brushed under the carpet due to the difficulty in attaching figures to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I guess we all knew it was coming in a way.

I hope the BBC see sense and say they will stop SD simulcasting at the same point, so giving everyone an ultimatum to switch equipment by then!
    Provide me a list of Freeview HD boxes that are not some cheapo make and I might buy one.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polarice wrote: »
    Provide me a list of Freeview HD boxes that are not some cheapo make and I might buy one.
    What is your problem with a "cheapo make"? If all you want is a "set top box" rather than a PVR then anything should just work. And if all you want is a list to choose from, then DYOR! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    What is your problem with a "cheapo make"? If all you want is a "set top box" rather than a PVR then anything should just work. And if all you want is a list to choose from, then DYOR! :)

Thats exactly what I was thinking, most people will just want a cheap way to keep access to channels!