Options

Freeview DTV signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi there,

Been tearing my hair out with this, and looking through threads on here to see if I can sort it myself but no joy so any help gratefully received.

I have an LG32LS575T and recently have had signal drop to the point where I can't get any BBC channels, E4, Dave amongst a whole load of others. Typically this is when the weather is bad but definitely not always.

I bought a new gold plated coax cable but have since realised that there are better options than this, ones that reduce interference better, but haven't bought one yet.

I'm in one of 4 flats and have asked my neighbour if they have the same issue. She told me that she only gets E4 dropping out now and again but does get the freeview HD channels. I used to get these but some months back lost the signal and it's never come back.

I did have the coax cable and the power cable tied together so have separated them which seems to have helped (especially with the BBC channels) but still can't get the HD channels. When I check the manual tuning on channel 30 and 40 (which I think are where I would be getting the HD channels but correct me if I'm wrong) the signal strength goes to 100% then drops down to 0. Signal quality starts at 2% then disappears.

I think the transmitter is The Wrekin, or it could be Sutton Coldfield.

Any ideas on how I can stop losing channels and how I can get the HD channels back?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to get that link removed as it reveals your address to all and sundry!

There are any number of reasons why it's not working properly. The aerial system is the first thing to check. Sounds like you have a communal system which could be a pain to get sorted if the people responsible for looking after the system can't be bothered to do anything!

It might be worth unscrewing the wall plate and checking the state of the connection on the back. Make sure the connection is neat and tidy and the various screws are tight. A common issue is badly made terminations where stray strands of the screen braid work loose and make contact with the centre conductor. That will very easily cream cracker your TV reception! Similarly loose screws on the terminals can adversely affect the signal your TV gets.

A good indicator is to go into the diagnostic screen on the TV and see what signal levels it shows for each mux. If they are below about 30% then you could have problems.

You need to know which transmitter the aerial is pointing at - one indicator would be to ask if your neighbour gets BBC4 HD or not. If not then chances are you are receiving from The Wrekin which doesn't have the mux BBC4 HD is on. If it can be received then chances are you are on Sutton Coldfield.

If you do a manual tune use the numbers in the grey columns under the N in that link for whichever transmitter you are on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the wall plate tomorrow and see if there are any problems there.

Right now the weather's terrible, I'm getting signal strength 19% and quality at 28%. Not cutting out like it normally would though. Usually it's a bit higher than this, maybe around 40%.

I'll have a chat with the neighbours and see what they get. Annoyingly they're the only ones with access to the loft so hopefully they'll be alright with me taking a look.

Can't see an option to edit my post, am I missing it? I posted that after reading another thread where someone wouldn't post their postcode and people were getting annoyed because they couldn't help them out without it!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stirling11 wrote: »
    Can't see an option to edit my post, am I missing it? I posted that after reading another thread where someone wouldn't post their postcode and people were getting annoyed because they couldn't help them out without it!

Editing is only possible for a short time after posting. You can use the alert button to ask the mods to remove the link for you.

A post code doesn't often reveal a specific address but in the case of our link your full address is displayed which might not be the best idea in the world.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Stirling11 wrote: »

The mods should be able to edit it, as I've alerted them for you.