47% of Android Users still on 2.3 Gingerbread

1235»

Comments

• poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I'm still on android 2.3 on my Sony Xperia U...apparently its going to get an upgrade even though the hardware is more than powerful enough for Jellybean!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I'm still on android 2.3 on my Sony Xperia U...apparently its going to get an upgrade even though the hardware is more than powerful enough for Jellybean!

Im 99.9% sure the U has ics now?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many of those not upgrading are Samsung users? One word - "Kies" (:mad: :mad: :mad:)

I despair of ever being able to upgrade my S3 to Jellybean, never mind Lime Pie - unless I take the (admittedly small) risk of bricking my phone with Odin. Most Samsung users have probably never even heard of Odin and the many who get tired of Kies flicking them the "V"s every time they try and update will give up and stick with their existing version of android.

What is the issue? I assumed the phone would tell me an upgrade is available, I will press a button and magic will happen. Is that not the case?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of those not upgrading are Samsung users? One word - "Kies" (:mad: :mad: :mad:)

I despair of ever being able to upgrade my S3 to Jellybean, never mind Lime Pie - unless I take the (admittedly small) risk of bricking my phone with Odin. Most Samsung users have probably never even heard of Odin and the many who get tired of Kies flicking them the "V"s every time they try and update will give up and stick with their existing version of android.

Why not just wait the extra couple of weeks until the update is available over the air?

That's what I have done the last couple of times as in no real rush.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    What is the issue? I assumed the phone would tell me an upgrade is available, I will press a button and magic will happen. Is that not the case?

It does for most people. However some people do have issues with Kies.

I have 2 brand new laptops and kies runs fine. It ran fine on my old one as well which windows wise was always clean as a whistle. However, it refuses to run on my mums old computer which runs slow as hell and has god knows what on it.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

I have 2 brand new laptops and kies runs fine. It ran fine on my old one as well which windows wise was always clean as a whistle. However, it refuses to run on my mums old computer which runs slow as hell and has god knows what on it.

Oh right, so kies is a PC based app. I'll wait to do it over the air.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Oh right, so kies is a PC based app. I'll wait to do it over the air.

Yeah. I used it sometimes to back my phone up which worked fine.

OTA i think pops up the same time as Kies. At least it did for the missus S3 the other day.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Kies will require several free GB of HDD space when it upgrades os need to make sure your c: drive has this free.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Im 99.9% sure the U has ics now?

It does, and an updated version, and an updated version to the updated version
  • Ross1874Ross1874 Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the galaxy s2 on contract with 3 still on 2.3, when I go to software update on the phone it says no update found I'm guessing 3 don't do OTA updates?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross1874 wrote: »
    I have the galaxy s2 on contract with 3 still on 2.3, when I go to software update on the phone it says no update found I'm guessing 3 don't do OTA updates?

I'm not sure that the upgrade to ICS was available OTA. Kies is (unfortunately) the way to go. I think that'll be the same for 4.1 as well.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

Does Kies have a Mac equivalent or is it Windows only?
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just upgraded my Desire S from 2.3.5 to 4.0.4 using the download on the HTC site, and I love the new version. Is more responsive, and the battery life seems so much better.
    From a user perspective I like the data usage counter in the new version, and the Wifi seems to hang onto an access point better now.
    Almost feels like having a new phone, having been on Gingerbread since April 2011.
    Already got 4.0.3 on my Acer Tablet so am already familiar with the Chrome browser on Android, which was not available on Gingerbread.
    Looks like the Desire S will not get Jellybean through legitimate channels.
    Only problem is that the display keeps getting unlocked when the phone is in my pocket, which did not happen with 2.3.5, looks like the notification pull-down is active when the screen is locked.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross1874 wrote: »

Three do OTA updates, my desire HD is three branded and I got the last update for it, 2.3, ages ago I might add, but it was OTA. You will have to wait until three (if ever) get around to releasing it. That's the problem, Samsung have released the update but you've gotta wait on three to add their crap and then make it available OTA.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

You are correct in most cases. Most carriers offer OTA updates. Don't think Orange did though last time I checked.