Why is pineapple juice so expensive?!

2»

Comments

• pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Are fruit drinks quite high on calories? How healthy are they?

A lot of it is empty calories, apple juice is practically cola.

Much juice is made of sub par and waste fruit. I suppose because of their tough hides there aren't all that many left over pineapples.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »

Much juice is made of sub par and waste fruit. s.

There is fruit juice and there is sugared water. Totally incomparable.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    gfunked84 wrote: »
    there is a lady that eats sofas

Only because she fancied a couch potato.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The products described as juice drinks (as opposed to fruit juice) contain only a proportion of fruit juice. For example, here are the ingredients of Ocean Spray Cranberry Classic:
    Water, Cranberry Juice from Concentrate (25%), Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Vitamin C

According to this page some juice drinks contain a mere 5% or 10% of fruit juice. For example, it says, "Capri-Sun Orange Juice Drink 'made with natural juice' contains only 10% juice. A single serving contains over 4 teaspoons of sugar - that's more sugar than juice."

From the same page:
    Robinsons Fruit Shoot certainly looks like it's full of healthy strawberry juice, but it only contains 10% juice.

The actual ingredients are: Water, Strawberry juice, Flavouring, Citric acid, Acidity Regulator (Trisodium citrate E331), Preservatives (Potasssium sorbate E202, Dimethyldicarbonate E242, Sodium Benzoate E211), Vitamins (C, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, B6, D, B12), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K) Stabiliser (Xanthan gum), Colour (Anthocyanins E163)
    Lovely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I normally have a glass of pineapple juice every morning,after reading these posts, I think I'll go back to a cup of tea.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    The products described as juice drinks (as opposed to fruit juice) contain only a proportion of fruit juice. For example, here are the ingredients of Ocean Spray Cranberry Classic:

!

Good cranberry juice is never really pure, the stuff is way too strong to take straight, it is dilluted with other juices like apple and grape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good cranberry juice is never really pure, the stuff is way too strong to take straight, it is dilluted with other juices like apple and grape.
    It is possible to buy pure cranberry juice, but it isn't cheap. For example:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/281067_Biona_Organic_Pure_Cranberry_Juice_330ml.html

I agree that many people would probably find pure cranberry juice too sour to be pleasant, and I've never actually tried it myself. However, I find the likes of the Ocean Spray products to be sickly sweet, and they're basically water sweetened with large doses of sugar or artificial sweeteners with a fairly small proportion of fruit juice added. For example, here are the ingredients of another Ocean Spray product, their Cranberry and Raspberry Juice Drink:
    Water, Fruit Juices from Concentrate (17%) (Cranberry (7%), Raspberry (3.5%), Apple (3.5%), Grape (3%)), Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Citric Acid, Vitamin C, Natural Flavouring.
    http://www.oceanspray.co.uk/products/cranberry_classic_and_blends/cranberry_raspberry_juice_drink

Note the total juice content of just 17%. Presumably Ocean Spray find water, sugar and glucose-fructose syrup cheaper than actual fruit juice. I think that people should be aware that if they're buying something that's described as a fruit juice drink there will be precious little fruit juice in it, however many colourful pictures of fruit there are on the packaging.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I've hear the Pineapple juice is good for helping against mouth ulcers.
    Also for men and their fertility.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I would imagine pure cranberry juice is rather unpalatable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    mobelan wrote: »
    I normally have a glass of pineapple juice every morning,after reading these posts, I think I'll go back to a cup of tea.

There's no need to worry, there's absolutely no harm in it. Understanding the difference between fruit juice and a fruit juice drink is the important part.
    Forum Member
    It is possible to buy pure cranberry juice, but it isn't cheap. For example:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/281067_Biona_Organic_Pure_Cranberry_Juice_330ml.html

I bet that will taste absolutely foul.
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Because it's the best tasting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    I bet that will taste absolutely foul.
    Probably. I should think most of those who drink it would be doing so because of urinary tract infections:
    Cranberry juice also has been shown to have positive effects on UTIs. Make sure the cranberry juice is 100% juice. Quality cranberry juice produces hippuric acid in the urine which acidifies the urine and prevents bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder. If pure cranberry juice is not available, cranberry capsules can be substituted. They can be found in most health food stores. Always take these with a large glass of water. Vitamin C may also be recommended.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/12494-bladder-infections/
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Why is pineapple juice so expensive?!
    It doesn't grow on trees you know. :D
    Forum Member
    Probably. I should think most of those who drink it would be doing so because of urinary tract infections:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/12494-bladder-infections/

The fact that they call it a Superjuice is the clincher for me, using the super-... title always means something that is thoroughly unpleasant, but you should drink it because it's good for you. :D
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member

Much juice is made of sub par and waste fruit. I suppose because of their tough hides there aren't all that many left over pineapples.

But what about the juice that is made from concentrate? Isn't that more healthy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what about the juice that is made from concentrate? Isn't that more healthy?

No, it just means it is made with same cast off fruits, but concentrated down and then frozen before it is rehydrated to make the juice.
    I think essentialy, one glass of fruit juice counts towards your five a day, but after that it doesn't matter how much you drink it doesn't give you a higher five a day count. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn't contain all the other good bits of the fruit too.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mongodude wrote: »
    pinecones are not pineapples, they give out pine nuts not sweet juice.

Haha. Brilliant. :D
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine the time it takes to grow a single pineapple, which is 2 years might have something to do with the cost(?).
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It doesn't grow on trees you know. :D

You are right, pineapples are a kind of bush and they grow on the ground, like cucumbers. I've seen a field!
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    If it is more expensive as you say, it's probably because Pineapple Juice is aimed at posh people since they usually think they are too good for the fruit juices us plebs drink

Pineapple Juice is not posh

Little kids drink that.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I would imagine pure cranberry juice is rather unpalatable.

Could be worse. They sell pure pomegranate juice here. (Pom makes the most popular one). I haven't tried it, but I imagine it tastes like syrup.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    I've hear the Pineapple juice is good for helping against mouth ulcers.
    Also for men and their fertility.

Anyone remember NEIL J JONES??:D He drank a lot of pineapple juice:eek:
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Anyone remember NEIL J JONES??:D He drank a lot of pineapple juice:eek:

Anyone remember the idiot who criticises how people use smilies?
    Oh MAW god it's you!!:eek::eek::eek: