problem installing iTunes

Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
Forum Member
I had problems updating iTunes and QuickTime , so wanted to uninstall the whole thing and start afresh.

iTunes uninstalled ok but QuickTime showed a window saying "QuickTime.msi file not found. Please verify the correct file name was given"

As I was stuck with the older version of QuickTime I thought I could just reinstall iTunes to accompany it. However when I tried to download and install iTunes from the Apple site the download included the QuickTime component so, of course, I then received a message saying "The older version of QuickTime cannot be removed. Contact your Technical Support group"

Can anyone suggest a way around this? I would like either to be able to uninstall QuickTime and start it all again, or be able to install just iTunes to accompany my existing version of QT.

Comments

• zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try removing quicktime manually. Instructions for doing so can be found here.

Then try installing iTunes again from the installer downloaded from Apple.

Good luck!
  • Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Further to above, all the iTune components I thought I had uninstalled have reappeared in Add/Remove.
    I am at my wit's end.

I had been toying with the idea of making the leap from pc to iMac but I am now cooling off this idea. Apple seems to want to install its files in all sorts of obscure places to foil anyone who wants to be rid of them.

I have recently bought an iPhone (bought as second hand but the actual phone is brand new as it is a swap-out from o2 for a faulty one) I'm seriously considering selling it on.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with the itunes exe file, you can right click and unzip/unrar it and you will have seperate msi files you can click and just install itunes without the rest of the crap that have their own msi files

try that first

or try uninstalling everything and download and run a registry cleaner like tuneup utilities, reboot and then try reinstalling itunes

http://lifehacker.com/5200534/install-itunes-without-the-extra-bloat
  • Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Thanks to you both.

I will wait till I have calmed down a bit, so I will have a clear head and be able to concentrate on your suggestions