Options

Radio Yorkshire Question

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
North Yorkshire can get it with their multiplex. I read on DAB essembles worldwide that it's not on the Leeds or Sheffield multiplexes although I think the studio is based in Leeds. I know the old Yorkshire Radio was based in Leeds. This one could be based in York. I heard the advert telling people to rescan so I'm just wondering if West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire can get the station now.

Comments

• Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only on North Yorkshire and the Bradford/Hudds muxes. It's based in Leeds above a Subway shop opposite Elland Road.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as the MXR mux closure announcements were made Radiotoday reported Global had rented space on Bauer local muxes which include Leeds and Sheffield multiplexes , But Radio Yorkshire lost out on space, but might get space when Heat and Kisstory move to D2 in 2016.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    As soon as the MXR mux closure announcements were made Radiotoday reported Global had rented space on Bauer local muxes which include Leeds and Sheffield multiplexes , But Radio Yorkshire lost out on space, but might get space when Heat and Kisstory move to D2 in 2016.

They might but Leeds and South Yorkshire will be way more expensive than N Yorks and Bradford/Hudds. Just how much is Uncle Ken willing to shell out?
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get Radio Yorkshire from York Muxco no problem because I have a rooftop DAB aerial & a Sony DAB Tuner in my stack system, The portable DAB Radio's we have hardly pick Radio Yorkshire now info says Bradford & Huddersfield & it sounds crap & we are about 2 miles away from the studio. So how the rest of Leeds pick it up god knows:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I can get Radio Yorkshire from York Muxco no problem because I have a rooftop DAB aerial & a Sony DAB Tuner in my stack system, The portable DAB Radio's we have hardly pick Radio Yorkshire now info says Bradford & Huddersfield & it sounds crap & we are about 2 miles away from the studio. So how the rest of Leeds pick it up god knows:(

They have to listen online. Given that the majority of sports talk on the station is about Leeds United they'll have to hope capacity on the Leeds mux becomes available. Bauer will charge though, any station that threatens to cannibalise their own brands best have deep pockets. Ken may have to downsize his yacht.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    They might but Leeds and South Yorkshire will be way more expensive than N Yorks and Bradford/Hudds. Just how much is Uncle Ken willing to shell out?

I wouldn't be surprised if he pays the money. He has spent thousands of pounds on sports rights. The phone calls between the studio and Monaco must be expensive, especially for that hour of Ken Bates on thursdays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have to listen online. Given that the majority of sports talk on the station is about Leeds United they'll have to hope capacity on the Leeds mux becomes available. Bauer will charge though, any station that threatens to cannibalise their own brands best have deep pockets
    Every mux has to present Ofcom with an unpublished ratecard to ensure fairness.
    http://www.muxco.com/service-providers/
    Just in this case Global booked the spare space on the 2 Bauer local muxes before Radio Yorkshire, if Heat and Kisstory leave in 2016 for D2 then Radio Yorkshire should be able to get the space at the ratecard price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Every mux has to present Ofcom with an unpublished ratecard to ensure fairness.
    http://www.muxco.com/service-providers/
    Just in this case Global booked the spare space on the 2 Bauer local muxes before Radio Yorkshire, if Heat and Kisstory leave in 2016 for D2 then Radio Yorkshire should be able to get the space at the ratecard price.

It'll be at least £80k a year. A lot of money for a station with little revenue coming in especially when they're paying for the other two muxes as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be at least £80k a year. A lot of money for a station with little revenue coming in especially when they're paying for the other two muxes as well.
    The MXR Yorkshire mux might have charged £200-300k a year to cover Yorkshire, which is quite a large area, but as the MXR closure was announced 2013 and Radio Yorkshire relaunched 2014 they may have had a discount as the mux was closing, as info is restricted we may not know?

No doubt the station will have to boost revenue to stay on local DAB.
    With no chance of FM, other options are to try for one of the wider area AM licences perhaps being advertised at the end of the year, but AM listening is declining and Radio Dales still have not gone on AM. http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/11/yorkshire-dales-radio-team-to-make-return/

From http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/06/radio-yorkshire-to-lose-dab-coverage-in-leeds/
    Director of Broadcasting at Radio Yorkshire, Sam Brydges, told RadioToday: “We encourage listeners who are not covered by the new multiplex areas to stick with us online, we will certainly be looking to keep growing that area of the business”.

Sam remains optimistic about the future of the station on DAB. He added: ““Radio Yorkshire will also watch the local DAB trial with great interest and if successful hope more licences will be awarded. Areas of Yorkshire are in desperate need of more accessible coverage with the MXR regional multiplex shutting down.”
    By this must mean the low cost DAB minimuxes for Leeds coverage, rather than wait till space is free on other muxes, which for a station like Radio Yorkshire will be more cost effective.