Options

bt vision no linear channels on offer

ok guys thought i would post this.

so i got youview in post yestaday,great box and great apps

only thing im not getting is bt with linear channels,im only getting bt vision

im on bt infinity but still no linear channels like sky 1 and syfy or fx.

has bt rolled out this service yet or do we still need to wait,as talk talk had there linear channels on day of release.

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the moment you need to have TalkTalk's YouView for those.

BT/Sky haven't announced any deals for Sky branded channels on BT's YouView service.

FX has been signed up, not sure about SyFy.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok guys thought i would post this.

so i got youview in post yestaday,great box and great apps

only thing im not getting is bt with linear channels,im only getting bt vision

has bt rolled out this service yet or do we still need to wait,as talk talk had there linear channels on day of release.

You have to wait but for how long is a guessing game. No concrete info from BT which is a really poor show although there have been various rumblings of linear channels launching within a matter of weeks. How true this is though I have no idea.. It's BT we're talking about and I've learned to just believe it when I see it in front of me.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you didn't expect them to keep there promise did you, i have had nothing but lies from them eventully i got the problem i was having sorted
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel99 wrote: »
    you didn't expect them to keep there promise did you, i have had nothing but lies from them eventully i got the problem i was having sorted
    According to BT's press release some of the linear channels will start by the end of 2012 commencing with Watch, Gold and Alibi. Still two months for these three to launch!
    London, 22 March 2012 – Britain’s leading branded multichannel broadcaster, UKTV, has defined its first ever IPTV deal. The three-year agreement with BT Vision covers both channel-branded VOD (video-on-demand) content which will be available from today, and the network’s award-winning portfolio of linear, paid-for television channels, beginning with Watch, Gold and Alibi later this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    According to BT's press release some of the linear channels will start by the end of 2012 commencing with Watch, Gold and Alibi. Still two months for these three to launch!

What you have to remember is that it's all good and well BT saying 'by the end of 2012' but whether they can actually meet that deadline and deliver on time is another thing completely with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    so it looks like talk talk has the better option then,by offering sky channels
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so it looks like talk talk has the better option then,by offering sky channels

Probably, but would you pay money for channels that you cant record?. I certainly wouldnt.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Probably, but would you pay money for channels that you cant record?. I certainly wouldnt.
    Whilst you make a point, at least TalkTalk TV actually has the channels available to view in the first place!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »

Yes, although we're all a little (or a lot!) frustrated with BT's lack of communication at the moment, on this subject in particular they haven't actually missed any deadline at all. I just wish they would tell us what their plans are.

Talk Talk's current package is very much superior to BT's but I'm still holding fire in the hope that BT come up with something similar before Christmas. Plus if you the factor in BT's Sports Channel coming next summer, BT still have a good chance of being in the stronger position in 8 months.

And that is what makes all of this quite tricky - I don't want to commit to an 18mth contract until I've got a better idea of who will have (not currently has) the best proposition. It's still early days with regards to IPTV and I have a feeling we might see a few twists & turns over the next 6mths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    Whilst you make a point, at least TalkTalk TV actually has the channels available to view in the first place!

Agreed, but they're simply piping in thier existing channel lineup. BT doesnt have an existing portfolio, so they're starting from scratch.

An interesting point here though. Does BTs IPTV implementation depend upon Youview software updates ?. If they are then expect to wait at least another 3 months before any recordable IPTV channels appear on a BT Youview box. Youview has a quarterly upgrade schedule and we've just had one that I suspect doesnt include IPTV functionality.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talktalk channel have been in place since 2004 so! This is a new thing for BT so its going to take time. Considering the money they have spent it's in the best interests to launch this
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    What you have to remember is that it's all good and well BT saying 'by the end of 2012' but whether they can actually meet that deadline and deliver on time is another thing completely with them.
    Sure, but my response was to another poster who stated as a fact that BT had broken their promise. I pointed out that this was not a fact as BT's promise was to launch three linear channels (Watch, Alibi and Gold) by the end of 2012 and there's still two months of the year remaining. He can re-post his statement on 1 January 2013 and he will probably be correct by then.
    Lack of communication from BT on its linear tv plans is a separate issue and one which I find both frustrating and frankly puzzling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewM wrote: »

That's two more IPTV channels (British Eurosport 1 & 2). Won't do the platform any harm ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ...I like this phrase "Further content is expected to be announced in the coming weeks"in the article.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If British Eurosport was part of a basic BT package of IPTV channels along with the BT Vision player. I would be tempted to get the service on my YouView box if it was at the right price..
    I dont think I would take the other sports channels as I dont think I would watch them enough.
    Anyone think BT will work out cheaer a month for its channels than Sky or Virgin.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2012 don't people want HD ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2012 don't people want HD ?

Who said we're not getting HD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've yet to see one BT press release for any of their third party linear channel deals that mentions HD, so one can assume they'll only be SD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who said you are? I must have missed it so please share the link...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I've yet to see one BT press release for any of their third party linear channel deals that mentions HD, so one can assume they'll only be SD.

Have they specifically mentioned SD? I dont think they have. Until they specify what is SD or HD I wouldnt assume anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they specifically mentioned SD? I dont think they have. Until they specify what is SD or HD I wouldnt assume anything.

Haven't you just said it's best not to assume anything AFTER your own assumption on HD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

SD is default, they wouldn't mention it. HD is still a premium product in the UK, if they had HD versions they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

The only linear channel where HD has been mentioned is their own sports channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SD is default, they wouldn't mention it. HD is still a premium product in the UK, if they had HD versions they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Agreed. When signing a carriage deal, it's not the done thing to announce 'FX SD' or 'Watch SD'... They're simply known by their name only. HD on the other hand is specified in the title because, as noted, it remains a separate premium product.

I agree that BT would be shouting this very loud indeed BUT with the continual lack of contact and failures at their end, it's no big surprise because why should they talk about this when they're still ignoring everything else?

At the moment, BT users still don't have a definitive list of IP channels or dates, have no idea on what's going on overall, so SD will be something quite spectacular for the service initially. To even begin to think of them adding HD channels at the moment is laughable. They would need to sort out the Infinity rollout first and that's before ironing out all the YouView and Vision issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only linear channel where HD has been mentioned is their own sports channel.

I'd tend to agree with you but we have had very little news direct from BT in terms of linear channels, what they will be, when they will launch and what form they will take. So im keeping an open mind here.