Options

Amp info for beginner?

Hi,
I have had a Technics seperates stereo system for many years. The amp has just died, and is obsolete so not worth repairing :cry:
It has dawned on me that I could now get an amp that allows me to use my stereo speakers for not only the radio, cd player & turntable, but for the tv (dvd etc). :D
Does anybody have any recommendations for the kind of thing I should think about, regarding amps and such?
I am looking at the "budget" range of equipment.
Any recommendations or tips will be appreciated :D

Comments

• Options
    phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can now get amps under £100 that will give you a full 5/6.1 surround set up.So its time to get up to date and invest in a set of speakers.
    Yamaha offer amps across a wide price range.To save money you should go for a discontinued model.Try somewhere like Richer Sounds who should be able to sort your speakers too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Do you just want a stereo amp, or are you thinking of buying extra speakers and going for surround?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say 'budget' just how much do you have in mind?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he wants tv sound from his speakers he would be losing out by going stereo only,especially with full surround amps so cheap.Somewhere like Richer Sounds could do a dirt cheap set of speakers,and then he can upgrade later
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - Richers will do the job...
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of receivers which will do the job. However, a lot of them are fine for surround (DVD/Dolby ProLogic II) but not so good when playing normal music.

Some models which do both well are :-
    Marantz SR4400
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540R
    NAD T743
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm a bit mindboggled.
    At the moment I have a pair of good speakers for my stereo kit. Would you all recommend I get some more speakers for "surround sound"? If so, how many, what sort etc.?
    I presume I get an amp, plug my cd player, turntable, radio tuner in to it as before, then also add the dvd player and the extra speakers?

I think there is a Richer Sounds store not too far from me, so I think I'll go in.

Thankyou people :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its usually better for all your speakers in the main 5 to match.A trip to RS should sort you out.Just let them know your budget and they will be able to sell you a budget amp and a set of 5 speakers.If it stretches your budget a bit,leave the subwoofer until another time,unless its sold all inclusive
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audio T are also worth a look for this sort of equipment.

Dave