Comments

• king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but they do correspond with the TV chronology
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think the 8th Doctor stories are, at the very least. (At the very very least, the Seasons with Lucie Miller as his companion.) Some really good stories there. :)
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the big finish audios canon?

It's up to you!:) That's always been my take on things anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always believed that they were 'canon' until they conflict with something the TV series wants to do..
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just isn't the same without Ting ...
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just isn't the same without Ting ...

I know! Too much laissez-faire around these days. Not enough tub thumping. :D

My view of canon is -if it's on BBC TV, or BBC radio, then it's canon. This would cover the Eighth Doctor and Lucie. :)

If it's on a DVD as an extra, then it's canon except when it's obviously wrong, like the 11th Doctor taking River to Darillium. In my opinion, it was the 10th who did that.

Some odd phrases can be ignored, such as any mention of being half h***n.

In other words, OP, make up your own canon. No one else will know unless you tell them, and your idea is as good as theirs. :D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the big finish audios canon?

Yes, yes they are. So says Charley & C'rizz & Lucie & Tasmin and Molly. ;)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Yes, yes they are. So says Charley & C'rizz & Lucie & Tasmin and Molly. ;)

But does this mean the 8th Doctor never has any companions after Molly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    But does this mean the 8th Doctor never has any companions after Molly?

Not necessarily, no. But they could hardly start making up names.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they are not
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they are not

Very little to back that up with after today.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

My view of canon is -if it's on BBC TV, or BBC radio, then it's canon. This would cover the Eighth Doctor and Lucie. :)

So the same would go for some of the Fifth Doctor and Tegan, Nyssa and Turlough stories and the Seventh Doctor and Klein stories??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charile is now canon. C'rizz is now canon. Lucie is now canon. Tamsin is now canon. Molly is now canon.

Big Finish Audio is now canon.

"The Company of Friends" is now canon.

Fitz is now canon. Izzy is now canon.

The books are now canon. The comics are now canon.

EVERYTHING IS NOW CANON AND EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL!!!
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »

EVERYTHING IS NOW CANON AND EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL!!!

Is the Doctor being half human, cannon ? ;)
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    If it's on a DVD as an extra, then it's canon...

Does that mean the 2.5 Doctor is cannon? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    If it's on a DVD as an extra, then it's canon except when it's obviously wrong, like the 11th Doctor taking River to Darillium. In my opinion, it was the 10th who did that.

What?! That's obviously canon. It wouldn't have any meaning for Ten to take River to Darillium. He barely knows her at that point. Ten took River for the picnic at Asgard (Moffat has confirmed this) so she had met him before Silence in the Library, but it's definitely Eleven who takes her to Darillium. Plus, you cant just ignore a minisode because you personally think it's wrong - it's up to the writers what is and isn't right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    So the same would go for some of the Fifth Doctor and Tegan, Nyssa and Turlough stories and the Seventh Doctor and Klein stories??

I suppose so, if they've been on radio. But I only listen to the Eighth Doctor adventures. :)
    Oxtrot wrote: »
    What?! That's obviously canon. It wouldn't have any meaning for Ten to take River to Darillium. He barely knows her at that point. Ten took River for the picnic at Asgard (Moffat has confirmed this) so she had met him before Silence in the Library, but it's definitely Eleven who takes her to Darillium. Plus, you cant just ignore a minisode because you personally think it's wrong - it's up to the writers what is and isn't right.

Sorry, I thought I could think what I liked - it's all fiction, and my fiction is as good as anyone else's.

And how do you know how well ten gets to know River? Very well, I would imagine, knowing River......
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I thought I could think what I liked - it's all fiction, and my fiction is as good as anyone else's.

That's good to know. I can't stand Sylvester McCoy so I'm going to ignore him and renumber the Doctors.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Night of the Doctor it confuses matters. Originally, no they were not canon.

Very briefly when Doctor Who finished Virgin published some new adventures. The canon arguement was thrown about then but when Virgin lost the contract (with 8ths arrival) BBC Books took over. In the early days BBC Books rarely referenced the Virgin ones, but as time went on they did, despite the BBC Books Past Doctor range, giving 7th a whole new series. A lot of fans think none of them are canon, but many (myself included) think BBC Books is canon as it was the BBC.

When BF started, none of it was canon and it was all very niche and many fans scoffed at it refusing to have any of it as canon. As time went on, they gained credibility and produced some fairly epic stories whilst making 6th bearable. The issue with 8th though, is his stories directly contradict the BBC Books. So you have a canon making producer version and an actor starring also licsenced version of events. At this point in time fan opinion was generally, different time lines, with BBC Books version generally being held the canon, as the BBC own Doctor Who.

With the namechecks in Night of the Doctor though, it not only makes BF's adventures canon but also ignores all the BBC Books continuity, which is a shame as Fitz made an appearance in BF and is possibly the greatest companion ever.

So whichever way you look at it, the timelines are still blurred, but it is clear that Moff wants BF's stories to be the timeframe we are in, not the BBC Books version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    which is a shame as Fitz made an appearance in BF and is possibly the greatest companion ever.

Fitz was great, but surely the greatest companion ever was Frobisher?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to know. I can't stand Sylvester McCoy so I'm going to ignore him and renumber the Doctors.

Why not? I ignore Nine. :D

Actually, though, I've modified my opinion about the Darillium thing since my original post - Eleven and River were so good together, I have conceded that it was probably him who took her to The Singing Towers. :)

(Welcome to the forum, btw - sorry to be argumentative about your first post :o).
    Forum Member
    (Welcome to the forum, btw - sorry to be argumentative about your first post :o).

Not at all and thank you very much. I'm new to this and realise in retrospect I could have done with a few emoticons to help indicate tone :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all and thank you very much. I'm new to this and realise in retrospect I could have done with a few emoticons to help indicate tone :o

Ah, emoticons! Sadly they can also be misunderstood. :D
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I always considered Big Finish audios compatible with Canon and hoped that they would one day be acknowledged by the makers of the TV show as being Canon. I never read the books so any issues of continuity with them was never an issue,

Even the Gallifrey series still works as the last few series have had all the protagonists hopping universes. Thus handily avoiding any issues with Time Locks etc :D

The name-checking of Big Finish companions for the 8th Doctor in a TV episode definitely lends weight to the idea that the BF range is Canon. At least the 8th Doctor ones.

Given that Nicholas Briggs was Executive Producer of the Big Finish Doctor Who audios and also heavily involved in the TV show as the voice of the Daleks, Cybermen and various other monsters, I suspect that may have had something to do with it!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    With Night of the Doctor it confuses matters. Originally, no they were not canon.
    [...]
    So whichever way you look at it, the timelines are still blurred, but it is clear that Moff wants BF's stories to be the timeframe we are in, not the BBC Books version.

I'm not sure there's enough to decide either way - he could be referring to alternate versions of the characters, for instance. We would need actually references to events that happened to be sure, and I suspect there's still too many contradictions for that to work directly.