Just had my first Mac virus

13»

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Yes they are, so that would negate some risk. However despite this downfall of Windows, it's the only operating system that can be effectively networked, as it's the only one that's had the time and development for it.

absolute nonsense!!
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    absolute nonsense!!
    I'd like to see how you'd manage an entire school network without Microsoft operating systems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see how you'd manage an entire school network without Microsoft operating systems.

why have you chosen to narrow it down to just a school network?

what about all the unix servers that are out there. are they not "networked effectively"??

i'm not saying windows can't be networked effectively. i'm saying that your statement that it is ONLY windows that can be networked effectively that is nonsense.

nice try at attempting to start a flame war though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why have you chosen to narrow it down to just a school network?

what about all the unix servers that are out there. are they not "networked effectively"??

i'm not saying windows can't be networked effectively. i'm saying that your statement that it is ONLY windows that can be networked effectively that is nonsense.

nice try at attempting to start a flame war though.
    I'm not trying to start a flame war. By networking I didn't mean the simple task of getting devices to speak to each other. I meant by managing an entire network of devices, managing users, rule enforcements to restrict users and workstations, etc.

You were the one saying 'neuter the risk', by which you implied get rid of Windows. That simply isn't going to happen in large networks, such as a school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not trying to start a flame war. By networking I didn't mean the simple task of getting devices to speak to each other. I meant by managing an entire network of devices, managing users, rule enforcements to restrict users and workstations, etc.

You were the one saying 'neuter the risk', by which you implied get rid of Windows. That simply isn't going to happen in large networks, such as a school.

when i said "neuter the risk" i was referring to the process of locking down rights, where the risk is the user.
    this is a standard policy on any corporate environment regardless of the OS.

if you think windows is the only environment that allows proper network management then you need to open your eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i said "neuter the risk" i was referring to the process of locking down rights, where the risk is the user.
    this is a standard policy on any corporate environment regardless of the OS.

if you think windows is the only environment that allows proper network management then you need to open your eyes.
    I don't, but there's nothing that comes close.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    I don't, but there's nothing that comes close.
    Indeed.. Microsoft's Server applications make OS X Server look like a kids toy in comparison :cool:
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that you could do a lot of this stuff on Linux and Mac OSX server as well, but the server specific software is better known and more advanced on Microsoft Suite of servers so thats a fair point.

But I think there is a trend in business software where network bandwidth is so much better than it was to move to cloud type of systems where individual PC's are acting like dumb terminals for all intent and purposes. It's much easier to manage this type of system as all the security can be handled on the server.

The OS on the client machines then becomes more or less irrelevant.
  • CorusCorus Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    It happened a few minutes ago. I was browsing the internet while watching TV, as you do, and all of a sudden a warning message pops up saying that a Trojan has been detected and it was put into Sophos AV's quarantine. I've just got rid of it completely now so it can't do any damage. As I type my dad is gloating because I was very smug about how Macs don't get viruses and blah blah blah. I'm rather embarrassed actually :o:D I forgot to take a screenshot.

And who says Macs don't get viruses? :p
    I wish I could show this thread to one of my old college tutors, as I quite clearly remember him saying to me when he was explaining to us about the different types of computer available, "Macs do not get viruses". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Indeed.. Microsoft's Server applications make OS X Server look like a kids toy in comparison :cool:

i wasn't comparing to OSX server though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corus wrote: »
    I wish I could show this thread to one of my old college tutors, as I quite clearly remember him saying to me when he was explaining to us about the different types of computer available, "Macs do not get viruses". :D

if we're being accurate here, the OPs' mac didn't have a virus (or a trojan) either. the AV software simply detected something in a file.

that's entirely different to a system being infected.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if we're being accurate here, the OPs' mac didn't have a virus (or a trojan) either. the AV software simply detected something in a file.

that's entirely different to a system being infected.

But we could argue that the system now has a virus on it....even if its dormant so technically the machine is now virus ridden
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    i wasn't comparing to OSX server though.
    My apologies, I thought the purpose of this thread was another Mac trollfest. I wasn't aware that we had moved on to *nix.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »

No, that would be Windows 8 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    But we could argue that the system now has a virus on it....even if its dormant so technically the machine is now virus ridden

not necessarily.
    a file can have something dodgy in it, and it can be repaired before it every gets a chance to do anything.

also, the file may contain something that isn't able to infect that particular system, but is still picked up by the AV software.

this is applicable to any OS, but just Mac or Windows or whatever.