Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 2 (US-Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    RIP Agent Xena?
    No, read an interview with the actress earlier and the character is dead.
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Come on, she's not exactly going to say she'll be back is she?

I think OrdinaryMorning is right unless the head writers were also outright lying. There was an interview with Jed and Maurissa over at ew.com where they talked about the season premiere. Quite interesting. They touched on Isabelle's "connection" to Victoria Hand, Fitz, Simmons (will she be back?), Ward, Agent Koenig and the 084 being a story-arc.

Did anyone notice the markings that appeared on the Obelisk when Isabelle was holding it ? And then the camera cuts to Skye looking on. It seems to me that she recognised the markings as being similar to Garrett's drawings.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    No, read an interview with the actress earlier and the character is dead.
    As stated already by Schmiznurf, she's hardly going to turn around and say "yeah, I'll be back" thus ruining her apparent demise this week. It's likely she'll return in a later episode, and the writers aren't going to want to let all of us know that until it happens.
    Did anyone notice the markings that appeared on the Obelisk when Isabelle was holding it ? And then the camera cuts to Skye looking on. It seems to me that she recognised the markings as being similar to Garrett's drawings.
    I completely missed that. Well noticed!
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different atmosphere but a very good start of a new season.
    A bit confused at them trying to make Skye into a badass agent. That's not her strenght.
    Classic character Carl Crusher Creel, cool.
    Can't wait to see the rest!
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Different atmosphere but a very good start of a new season.
    A bit confused at them trying to make Skye into a badass agent. That's not her strenght.
    Classic character Carl Crusher Creel, cool.
    Can't wait to see the rest!

Also enjoyed the opening episode but i agree why make Skye badass, ok i know their was a lot of 'internet' chat about her being too cutesy in S1 but i liked the old Skye, prefear a laptop in her hands than a gun.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, maybe Agent Xena is dead. :D

Looks like we'll be getting a reunion between Skye and her Father soon.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the stuff going on with Mac and Fitz. Coincidentally Mac is played by Henry Simmons so it looks like they are keeping a FitzSimmons dynamic going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Good solid start to the new season. Obviously the tail end of the season will tie into Avengers 2 but it looks like we have got plenty to keep us occupied before then. Unlike last year.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Ok, maybe Agent Xena is dead.
    Yeah, what a bummer that is - and a stupid idea - why hire someone who's that famous only to kill her off? :(
    Looks like we'll be getting a reunion between Skye and her Father soon.
    You say soon, it'll likely happen at the end of the season. :p
    Good solid start to the new season. Obviously the tail end of the season will tie into Avengers 2 but it looks like we have got plenty to keep us occupied before then. Unlike last year.
    I concur with this, though I doubt there's any connection between that artifact and Avengers 2 to be honest. Avengers 2 is all Ultron. If anything, that artifact is more to do with the infinity stones (maybe it is one?) and will feature in Avengers 3, if any.
    Having seen the promo for 2x03, looks like Simmons (female Simmons) has joined Hydra, thus explaining her departure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

You say soon, it'll likely happen at the end of the season. :p

Nah they'll meet up before the mid season break.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, what a bummer that is - and a stupid idea - why hire someone who's that famous only to kill her off? :(

The EW interview with head writers Jed and Maurissa which I linked earlier basically answers that question. Here's the part about Hartley :
    "EW: Going into the premiere, we knew Coulson would have to lean on some unsavory people to keep S.H.I.E.L.D. afloat, but then you basically kill them all off. Why did you decide to only use Lucy Lawless for one episode?
    JED WHEDON: We wanted you to invest in the character and feel like this person was a real equal to Coulson. She definitely fit the bill on that front. Lucy has such a strength to her. We didn’t want people to know what was going to happen. We wanted it to feel like a big deal. "

My take on what they wanted to do : they picked someone famous and hyped her up even before the start of the season so they didn't have to spend so much screen time building up her character, which they would have had to do if she was a lesser known actor. Thus the impact of her death so early on would still have the same effect. Or so they thought. Whether they succeeded or not, well, that's up to the audience. Plus it was also a convenient plot point to further Hunter's characterisation and for him to stay with the group, him wanting revenge and all.

I was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing since I didn't know Lucy Lawless, never watched Xena so to me she was just a character. But reading other forums, a lot of people just refuse to believe she's gone, saying no one really dies in the Marvel universe. I'm pretty skeptical she will return. There was the same fuss over Victoria Hand and she has stayed dead.
    Forum Member

My take on what they wanted to do : they picked someone famous and hyped her up even before the start of the season so they didn't have to spend so much screen time building up her character, which they would have had to do if she was a lesser known actor. Thus the impact of her death so early on would still have the same effect. Or so they thought. Whether they succeeded or not, well, that's up to the audience. Plus it was also a convenient plot point to further Hunter's characterisation and for him to stay with the group, him wanting revenge and all.
    I don't think they did succeed to be honest. I would imagine a lot of people (those that refuse to believe her death) are not very impressed at all.

Speaking of Hunter though, I might have missed it, but what was his purpose for stunning all the team? He betrayed them, and was then given a job for it? That makes complete sense. I wonder, if I went to Google Head Officer and Tazered a few of the employees, would I then be granted a job? :p
    I was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing since I didn't know Lucy Lawless, never watched Xena so to me she was just a character. But reading other forums, a lot of people just refuse to believe she's gone, saying no one really dies in the Marvel universe. I'm pretty skeptical she will return. There was the same fuss over Victoria Hand and she has stayed dead.
    Spartacus? Battlestar Galactica?

I am also skeptical about her return though, however she did come into contact with that artifact, so there's a window of opportunity there should the show producers wish to take it.
  • treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Hunter though, I might have missed it, but what was his purpose for stunning all the team? He betrayed them, and was then given a job for it? That makes complete sense. I wonder, if I went to Google Head Officer and Tazered a few of the employees, would I then be granted a job? :p

They wanted to take Creel alive, but he wanted to kill Creel as revenge for the death of Hartley.

With regards to Lucy Lawless, it was kind of obvious that she wasn't going to be a series regular. They released a promo photo (which can be seen on the Digital Spy Agents of Shield main page) showing the regulars for the series (Coulsen, Skye, May, Fitz, Simmons, Triplett, Ward, Hunter, Mac).

Did anyone else notice in the scene where Coulsen was looking on his virtual wall, he brought up a picture of Peggy Carter, then the 084 and then the message "keep an eye out for this". Is he somehow communicating through time with Peggy Carter?
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wanted to take Creel alive, but he wanted to kill Creel as revenge for the death of Hartley.

With regards to Lucy Lawless, it was kind of obvious that she wasn't going to be a series regular. They released a promo photo (which can be seen on the Digital Spy Agents of Shield main page) showing the regulars for the series (Coulsen, Skye, May, Fitz, Simmons, Triplett, Ward, Hunter, Mac).

Did anyone else notice in the scene where Coulsen was looking on his virtual wall, he brought up a picture of Peggy Carter, then the 084 and then the message "keep an eye out for this". Is he somehow communicating through time with Peggy Carter?[/QUOTE]

He said it aloud. He was making a mental note for himself, for later reference.
    Forum Member
    I don't think they did succeed to be honest. I would imagine a lot of people (those that refuse to believe her death) are not very impressed at all.

Coulson said he understood how Hunter felt about wanting revenge and then admitted he made a mistake in letting him join the team to take down Creel. But remember Skye, how she betrayed them initially and Coulson still gave her a chance ? I see it as totally in his character to want to give Hunter a 2nd chance coz not only did Hunter come highly recommended ( even May said he was a good mercenary ) but Shield also badly needs boots on the ground. Beggars can't be choosers.
    Spartacus? Battlestar Galactica?
    I am also skeptical about her return though, however she did come into contact with that artifact, so there's a window of opportunity there should the show producers wish to take it.

Nope, was a fan of the original Battlestar but never saw the reboot. Doesn't make sense to bring her back if the artifact/obelisk is what we think it is. It fries normal humans and allows 'special people' like Raina ( speculated to be Inhuman ) to live.
    Forum Member
    Ah, that explains it.
    Did anyone else notice in the scene where Coulsen was looking on his virtual wall, he brought up a picture of Peggy Carter, then the 084 and then the message "keep an eye out for this". Is he somehow communicating through time with Peggy Carter?
    007Fusion wrote: »
    He said it aloud. He was making a mental note for himself, for later reference.
    Stated here by 007Fusion, I believe he was just speaking out loud. I doubt very much he was communicating through time. I hope that the cinematic universe stays the hell away from time travel. It might work in the comics, but it would destroy the cinematics.
    Coulson said he understood how Hunter felt about wanting revenge and then admitted he made a mistake in letting him join the team to take down Creel. But remember Skye, how she betrayed them initially and Coulson still gave her a chance ? I see it as totally in his character to want to give Hunter a 2nd chance coz not only did Hunter come highly recommended ( even May said he was a good mercenary ) but Shield also badly needs boots on the ground. Beggars can't be choosers.
    A fair point.

Nope, was a fan of the original Battlestar but never saw the reboot. Doesn't make sense to bring her back if the artifact/obelisk is what we think it is. It fries normal humans and allows 'special people' like Raina ( speculated to be Inhuman ) to live.
    I would imagine that Raina is the same species (or rather hybrid) as Skye. I am slightly puzzled though, Skye appears Human, as does her Father, and her mother was apparently a Shield Agent (am I missing something?) - surely if one of her parents was something else, it would be ... more obvious?

Failing that, if her parents have the ability to shape shift, or appear human, what other species (in the Marvel Universe) have that ability? What blood could Skye have in her veins?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stated here by 007Fusion, I believe he was just speaking out loud. I doubt very much he was communicating through time. I hope that the cinematic universe stays the hell away from time travel. It might work in the comics, but it would destroy the cinematics.

I think it was more than speaking aloud - he was using a voice command to instruct the nuSHIELD computer system to "keep an eye out" for it.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I think it was more than speaking aloud - he was using a voice command to instruct the nuSHIELD computer system to "keep an eye out" for it.
    My point was he walking talking through time. :p
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the new Skye this season. Makes her character a lot more interesting than just sitting back and doing nothing. Especially since May is her SO this season.

Feel really bad for Fitz. I hope Simmons comes back to the team soon! I kinda like the new mechanic guy Mack. Hope he sticks around for this season. He seems to work quite well with Fitz.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, that explains it.

A fair point.

I would imagine that Raina is the same species (or rather hybrid) as Skye. I am slightly puzzled though, Skye appears Human, as does her Father, and her mother was apparently a Shield Agent (am I missing something?) - surely if one of her parents was something else, it would be ... more obvious?

Failing that, if her parents have the ability to shape shift, or appear human, what other species (in the Marvel Universe) have that ability? What blood could Skye have in her veins?

In the US, the speculation

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55939

Is "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" Setting Up Inhumans in the MCU?

Wed, October 1st, 2014 at 3:28pm PDT | Updated: October 1st, 2014 at 4:03pm

For a long time now, murmurs of the word "Inhuman" have circulated through the Marvel Cinematic Universe fandom, particularly surrounding Marvel Comics' recent "Inhuman" launch, Vin Diesel's tease that he may be playing Black Bolt, and the fact that Fox currently controls the rights to X-Men characters and related mutants (thus excluding this element from the MCU). However, none of that may be as convincing as what's going down on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." -- and here's why.

Here's my biggest piece of evidence: Coulson's alien writing. Now, ever since he discovered that it's experimentation with alien blood that resurrected him, he's taken to carving a strange "alien" language, as follows:

I've been puzzling over this for some time now, because I thought it looked familiar but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it before, because I read a lot of different comics. But then it hit me:

Look closely at the first few letters, particularly "INHU." Although they certainty aren't identical, there are a lot of similarities between the symbols in the logo and Coulson's writing.

These aren't your mama's Inhumans.

As we've seen, the MCU doesn't follow comics to the letter. I mean, really, who could, with source material that stretches out for decades? Joss Whedon's "Avengers" film even blends elements from the "Ultimates" universe in with the main Marvel U's trappings. As such, it makes sense that the MCU definition of Inhuman is a little different than what we see in the comics; it's not going to play by the same rules. And, since it's not playing by the definition laid down in the source material, who's to say humans couldn't engineer Inhumanity for themselves? Or, on the other hand, why couldn't it be possible for humans to recreate an experiment that the Kree may have already performed?

But how do we know the Kree were involved?

The body in the tube -- the one Coulson discovers, much to his horror, is almost definitely a member of the Kree race. Although we could only guess at this at the time of the episode's release, "Guardians of the Galaxy" gave us a pretty good look at healthy, walking, talking Krees. The body in the tube is certainly emaciated (who knows how long it was in there? or even what state he was in before he was captured?) but the similarity between the body and the Kree citizens we saw in "Guardians" is pretty striking.

How does this play into the larger MCU?

Easy. Do you remember the after credits sequence from "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? They're a good candidate for the first powered Inhumans we see in the MCU. Obviously, they can't be mutants and they can't be the children of the on-again-off-again villain Magneto, whose rights are firmly locked at Fox. So how do we spin this for the MCU? This sequence gave us a glimpse of Baron von Strucker, a HYDRA agent and longtime Captain America villain. In the comics, von Strucker has children -- a set of twins, a boy and a girl, who were experimented on by HYDRA and had their own super powers. They become super villains themselves and operate under the name Fenris. Change the mythos around a little, and Wanda and Pietro could easily substitute as von Strucker's evil progeny. Utilizing the same procedure that brought Coulson back to life, they too could have been infused with Kree blood/genetics. What's more, von Strucker and his HYDRA scientists could have invented (or reinvented) terrigenesis, which would grant Wanda and Pietro their super abilities -- and perhaps make them a little unstable. Wanda and Pietro could be the first of many such powered Inhumans, as Coulson and Skye both seem to be affected by the same transfusion.

But Nick Fury/Garrett would have known!

Not necessarily! Nick Fury, for all his experience and knowledge, didn't know about HYDRA. What's more, a team, no matter how small, must have worked on Coulson as he underwent this procedure. Who's to say a member of this medical team wasn't associated with HYDRA in some way? Who's to say the procedure wasn't invented by HYDRA themselves? It certainly isn't below HYDRA to toy with human lives for the sake of advancement.

And John Garrett? Well, it doesn't seem as though Garrett -- for all his talk -- was exactly in line to be the head of HYDRA. He's only one of the branches, albeit a powerful member of his branch. It's entirely possible HYDRA, in its compartmentalization, sent Garrett as their errand boy, there to pick up the package rather than to use it himself. Garrett was full of bravado and acted as a double agent for years; it's hard to take anything he says at face value. There's a lot of wiggle room there.

Where do we go from here?

Good question. This is a fan theory, gathered over the bits and pieces of evidence scattered throughout the MCU. "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." seems to be gearing up to answer these questions for us, of course. In the last episode, Raina talks about how she yearns to see "what we'll become." It hints at a change -- maybe metaphorically, but I think literally. HYDRA's experimentation could go a long way, especially considering how little we actually know about them and how widespread they are. Or, perhaps, they have nothing to do with it -- maybe the comics origin holds, and the Kree did pay earth a visit back in the day, leaving behind thousands of dormant Inhumans, waiting for the day that terrigenesis is unleashed upon the world, and that S.H.I.E.L.D./HYDRA's manufactured Inhumans are a fluke. Perhaps Black Bolt and Medusa already rule in secret on the dark side of the moon, silent and watching, aware that these dormant Inhumans may or may not manifest their powers.

We'll just have to wait and see.

A version of this article originally appeared on Meagan Damore's Tumblr and has been reprinted with permission.

TAGS: marvel comics, marvel studios, agents of shield, agent coulson, inhuman, inhumans

And, by episode, we'll see Maynard...

S.H.I.E.L.D. Recruits White Collar Vet Tim DeKay to Play Ward's

TVLine.com
    By Matt Webb Mitovich October 1, 2014 11:35 AM

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will likely shed more light on HYDRA mole Grant Ward’s dark past when Tim DeKay guest-stars on the ABC sophomore.

As first reported by Zap2It, DeKay — who in early August wrapped production on White Collar‘s final season — will appear in Episode 6, titled “A Fractured Rose,” as the S.H.I.E.L.D. prisoner’s older brother, Senator Maynard Ward.

As shown in Season 1’s “The Well,” the elder Ward regularly tormented if not outright abused his younger siblings. Grant ultimately acted out so much that, as revealed in Season 1’s “Ragtag,” he landed in a juvenile detention facility, where he was ripe for recruitment by S.H.I.E.L.D. specialist/HYDRA mole John Garrett.

In addition to his run as White Collar G-man Peter Burke, DeKay’s TV credits include appearances on Revenge, Body of Proof, Chuck and The New Adventures of Old Christine.

Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't believe we were ever actually told this.

IIRC Skye was dropped off at an Orphanage by a female Shield Agent which led Skye to think that was her mother but presumably that Agent was just the one who found Skye in the Chinese village.

Enjoyed Ep3.

I'm guessing Donnie Gill will be back again one day.
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Simmons is undercover in HYDRA............glad she's not gone out of it to be honest as I rather like her.

Looks like it could be a good season so far.

Dave
    Forum Member
    IIRC Skye was dropped off at an Orphanage by a female Shield Agent which led Skye to think that was her mother but presumably that Agent was just the one who found Skye in the Chinese village.
    I knew there was something about Skye and a Shield Agent Woman, this would have been it.

I guess then, that her mother was Human (and dead) and her Father is ... something else ...
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good one.

Wasn't sure what they were gonna do with Ward in the 2nd season. So far, it's believable. They hate him but they need the infos.

I miss the old Skye. She was unique, now she's just another agent.

Fitz is slowly coming back it seems. But i suspect something else will happen to him. Didn't hear anything, just a feeling.

One thing that's bugging me a bit; Hydra doesn't seem to hide anymore. It seems they're out in the open with the authorities (apart from Shield) doing nothing.
    Is it just an impression because of the way the stories are told or have they gone public under a commercial front?
    Forum Member
    One thing that's bugging me a bit; Hydra doesn't seem to hide anymore. It seems they're out in the open with the authorities (apart from Shield) doing nothing.
    I don't think they're out in the open so much, it's more that they're around, and there's nobody who's truly capable of taking them down, what with Shield being the minority now.

That said (and spoilers coming) the start of Avengers 2 is rumoured to be the Avengers taking down the last remnants of Hydra, so Season #3 of Agents will be about something totally different still.
    Forum Member
    Wow, another good episode. That song fit perfectly with the Simmons opener. Now, I can't get it out of my head. I thought the highlight of the ep. was the Fitz and Ward encounter. Great characterisation and Ian really nailed it. Fitz going dark, who would have thought. I reckon he would have gone all the way to inflict brain damage on Ward if Ward hadn't offered that info about Donnie.

I knew there was something about Skye and a Shield Agent Woman, this would have been it.

I guess then, that her mother was Human (and dead) and her Father is ... something else ...

We haven't been told any details about Skye's mother, though. Raina just said that her parents were the monsters who killed those villagers and the Shield agents trying to protect her. So we don't know if her mother was human or dead. I suppose we'll find out when Skye finally meets her father. I think it will happen quite soon, most likely before the Christmas break judging from the rumours.