does josie have panic attacks?

124»

Comments

• BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's too much assumption going on though in order to feel offended.

Everybody gets a bit panicky when they are stressed, human nature fight or flight, people start to imagine their breathing is going wrong. It's pretty common knowledge that breathing into a paper bag can help with hyperventilating.

Does that make every person who's ever used a sick bag on a plane to breathe into some kind of piss taker who's going out of their way to offend you?
    That's the stance that posters here are taking.

You can't compare it to pretending to need a wheelchair because there are no feelings to back up believing that you can't walk.
    Whereas even the most unshakable will at least once in a lifetime feel that their breathing is going wrong.

The assunption being made is that Josie, over reacting to levels of stress, probably most normally, is somehow belittling and making comment on those who suffer proper attacks.
    I doubt she ever gave it much thought, much as the rest of us. It did nobody any harm unless somebody wants to take offence at it and harm themselves.

The title of this thread is.......Does Josie have panic attacks.

My posts are pertinent to the title of this thread and I don't think Josie does have bona fide panic attacks in my opinion. Which is the only opinion I can give. Now if that isn't acceptable to some on the forum there is little I can do about that or indeed intend to try.

As I said, I think she got her knickers in a twist which I also stated was understandable.

The nature of this thread was simply to discuss the matter.

In regard to the wheelchair. Of course there are no feelings to back up. But, I still firmly believe that to portray yourself as disabled in some way when indeed you are not it's unacceptable. But then I suppose we all have our own morals on what is right and wrong.

:)
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoyalMile wrote: »
    Some posters say one can't function when having a panic attack, hence Josie must be faking it. But other posters, myself included, say one can function when having a panic attack. We are giving examples of our experience to debate whether or not Josie has been faking panic attacks.

My own position is that she has not been faking and that there is not enough empathy with her here.

I don't she's either faking it or having panic attacks.

I doubt she's given it that much thought. People are thoughtless, to some extent they have to be. Lets face it, wth all the "issues" people are expected to think about, one would cease to be able to function day to day without turning a blind eye.

It's the idea being put forward that unless one "suffers properly" one can't be a bit of an over reacting prat without it being taken personally and seen as trying to give offence.

Taking the stressful situation she was in, a little empathy for her behaving like an "over reacting prat" surely can be expected rather than muscling in and telling everybody that only they deserve any consideration?

I hope that explains.
    My objection is the with the demand for empathy when none is being shown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's too much assumption going on though in order to feel offended.

Everybody gets a bit panicky when they are stressed, human nature fight or flight, people start to imagine their breathing is going wrong. It's pretty common knowledge that breathing into a paper bag can help with hyperventilating.

Does that make every person who's ever used a sick bag on a plane to breathe into some kind of piss taker who's going out of their way to offend you?
    That's the stance that posters here are taking.

You can't compare it to pretending to need a wheelchair because there are no feelings to back up believing that you can't walk.
    Whereas even the most unshakable will at least once in a lifetime feel that their breathing is going wrong.

The assunption being made is that Josie, over reacting to levels of stress, probably most normally, is somehow belittling and making comment on those who suffer proper attacks.
    I doubt she ever gave it much thought, much as the rest of us. It did nobody any harm unless somebody wants to take offence at it and harm themselves.

I never said anything of the sort. It was quite clear to me that she needed the bag and it was helping her. I said it actually gave me new found respect for her. Whether she suffers from anxiety regularly or this was a one off, anybody who goes through an intense stressful or even highly excitable situation could benefit from using a paper bag. Get more oxygen in the stystem. No big deal to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she's just found that "inhaling" pork pies is o more effective method of consuming them:o
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really that inconceivable to the people on here that Josie was perhaps..... joking?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her hyperventilate the other day, when someone waved a bar of soap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really that inconceivable to the people on here that Josie was perhaps..... joking?

Joking about what? Panic attacks? Why should she do that,particularly when leaving the house?
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joking about what? Panic attacks? Why should she do that,particularly when leaving the house?

I don't think she really gave it much thought. I bet she wouldn't have done it though if she realised that she'd have upset about 17 hysterical people on the DIGITAL SPY FORUMS!! :eek:
  • meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oceanracer wrote: »
    never saw her having one - that sick bag trick going out last night turned me off her a bit.

Believe me if she had suffered from panic attacks she wouldn't have left the sitting room - you think you are going to die when you get one and its no joke.

that "acting" last night was an awful thing for her to do.

I think her popularity is going to plummet now that she is in the house with the biggest backstabbers and biatches of the history of the series.

We will all get to see another side to her I think - and we can finally make our minds up as to which is the real Josie.

last nights final was a borefest.

I did type this on another thread entitled "last nights borefest" or something, but for some reason it was taken down.

It is clearly about getting the sympathy vote!

But that girl is not at all shy or lacking in confidence when being in a house with celebrities, unlike many would be!

It is all an attention seeking act - I can't believe how many fall for it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meecha wrote: »
    It is clearly about getting the sympathy vote!

But that girl is not at all shy or lacking in confidence when being in a house with celebrities, unlike many would be!

It is all an attention seeking act - I can't believe how many fall for it!

We're not all as clever as you.
  • tjbumptjbump Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    I think I may have possibly breathed into more paper bags than some folk have had hot dinners. The sheer feeling of panic is truly overwhelming and whilst in the back of my head I know I will eventually be ok, nothing at the time makes sense and the feeling of needing to flee and suchlike is all consuming.

The paper bag technique does not work for me and to suggest I try and concentrate on something and it will make things better is ludicrous.

I won't go into details but before now I've had attacks so severe I've needed to be sedated.

Everyone gets anxious and I firmly believe Josie may have been 'getting her knickers in a twist' which is understandable. But I don't in all honesty think you can say that was a panic attack or indeed a potential panic attack she was experiencing. Believe me she would never had made it down those stairs to face the public if she had.

I feel your pain Twinkle.

:)

I have been in that situation where i had to be sedated it, for two weeks could not leave the house, if i had to i would only go a certain distance thinking if i had an attack how long would it take to get an ambulance to me then to the hospital ,cos everytime i had an attack i thought i would die, my poor husband and girls i felt so sorry for them as attacks did not just affect me it affected them too and i find it awful when people who use the expression or pretend to have panic attacks detract from the real sufferes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I suffer from panic attacks and I carry and use paper bags as soon as i feel the first 'twinges' come over me and it helps prevent a full blown attack...perhaps it was for this reason.
  • JB220706JB220706 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Back to the OP - No she doesn't, she was just hyper ventilating with all the excitement of winning.
  • BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tjbump wrote: »
    I have been in that situation where i had to be sedated it, for two weeks could not leave the house, if i had to i would only go a certain distance thinking if i had an attack how long would it take to get an ambulance to me then to the hospital ,cos everytime i had an attack i thought i would die, my poor husband and girls i felt so sorry for them as attacks did not just affect me it affected them too and i find it awful when people who use the expression or pretend to have panic attacks detract from the real sufferes

'hugs'

Yes, and that is my point exactly. It makes me furious when folk make light of anything that is so distressing.

Like you say, it's not only the sufferer that suffers, it's the people around them too. I feel so guilty at times.

Of course, Josie was nervous and like I have said, who could blame her. But in all honesty it does make me cross when someone just seems to jump on the bandwagon.

We had dreadful snow this year and I panicked for days that if I needed help how would they get to me etc etc.

I would dearly love to be rid of my panic attacks. Alas thus far it doesn't seem likely.

'sigh'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Deep breathing, which I'd learnt at Yoga.

I find deep breathing makes it worse - strange I know
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Josie never mentioned panic attacks until Caiomhe told her that she suffered from them.

As a long time sufferer from hyperventilation and panic attacks I was advised never to breathe into a paper bag as it can cause dangerously low levels of oxygen and also increase CO2 levels making anxiety symptoms worse..
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackie34 wrote: »
    Josie said in the house that she had panic attacks whenever John James wasn't in the room. I think there's a wee chance she might be prone to over exaggeration. :rolleyes:

For her sake, i hope she never experiences a genuine panic attack, if she did she would not make stupid remarks like that one.
  • tjbumptjbump Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    'hugs'

Yes, and that is my point exactly. It makes me furious when folk make light of anything that is so distressing.

Like you say, it's not only the sufferer that suffers, it's the people around them too. I feel so guilty at times.

Of course, Josie was nervous and like I have said, who could blame her. But in all honesty it does make me cross when someone just seems to jump on the bandwagon.

We had dreadful snow this year and I panicked for days that if I needed help how would they get to me etc etc.

I would dearly love to be rid of my panic attacks. Alas thus far it doesn't seem likely.

'sigh'

well blue mine was twenty years ago i thought i would never be rid of them but over time they have got less and less and i only get them when i am really stressed, i woke up one day and suddenly said to myself sod it they are not taking over my life they are not going to kill me and as i said i get them few and far between but have great sympathy with genunie sufferes.
    I do hope that that day comes for you.

big hugs xx
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xPandora wrote: »
    i really can't see anyone wanting to be photographed breathing into a bag whilst walking upstairs unless they thought it was necessary.

i cant see anyone admitting they pissed themselves and they werent drunk yet josie has done that too
  • meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're not all as clever as you.

Obviously! :rolleyes:
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't need that paper bag for anything. She was obviously just trying to be funny, but failed miserably.

If she did have a pretend panic attack, or claim that to be a panic attack, it would offend me slightly. I've suffered from panic attacks for about 2-3 years now and they are the most awful thing ever, I actually feel like I might die. They're nothing to joke about. Just another thing that pees me off about Josie.
  • VampiraVampira Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was no panic attack, she's a big fake. She looked like an idiot huffing on that bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mangomoon wrote: »
    She didn't need that paper bag for anything. She was obviously just trying to be funny, but failed miserably.

If she did have a pretend panic attack, or claim that to be a panic attack, it would offend me slightly. I've suffered from panic attacks for about 2-3 years now and they are the most awful thing ever, I actually feel like I might die. They're nothing to joke about. Just another thing that pees me off about Josie.

You're not alone. We've been discussing our panic attacks on this thread all day.