Options

HO - Friends...

vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone find it a bit odd that nobody seems to have any 'mates' in Hollyoaks.

Obviously the students and the kids have thier groups but The McQueen sisters only seem to keep eachother company, Rhys and Gilly only know eachother...I mean occasionally people will share scenes as if they're mates (despite never actually being together otherwise) but otherwise...

If for instance it's someones birthday you have the cast there and very rarely any extras. I think it'd be quite good to introduce a couple of characters that have just always been there such as just having Mercedes sat with some girl talking about Mal and that's her introduction...they've known eachother for years, she's always lived in Hollyoaks we've just never seen her.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. :rolleyes: All soaps are the same tbh.. Although, in EastEnders, most of the characters talk with extras as if they are friends/know them very well. But I think Hollyoaks should do the same with their extras, it makes it more believable. :)
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in the past Hollyoaks have been quite good with the cast members having friends, mostly in the early days but especially with the school kids - Michaela for example was originally introduced simply as Amy's friend.

For the majority of it's run Brookside was quite good at it's characters having friends others than those living on their street!
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmc93 wrote: »
    I agree. :rolleyes: All soaps are the same tbh.. Although, in EastEnders, most of the characters talk with extras as if they are friends/know them very well. But I think Hollyoaks should do the same with their extras, it makes it more believable. :)

Definately. I mean you think of the age group of HO aswell - it's a very social age particularly students. For a village next to a Uni there's very little 'buzz' about it. That's definately a prob I give to EE they have alot of regular extras.
  • Options
    PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collybird wrote: »
    I think in the past Hollyoaks have been quite good with the cast members having friends, mostly in the early days but especially with the school kids - Michaela for example was originally introduced simply as Amy's friend.

For the majority of it's run Brookside was quite good at it's characters having friends others than those living on their street!

Wasn't that the same with Steph too? She was Zara's annoying friend for ages then eventually she became a main character and got a family.

It's the same with all soaps though to be fair. In Eastenders for example, if someone gets married the only guests are the people who live on the square! In the real world, who has friends who all live in the same road?!
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »

It's the same with all soaps though to be fair. In Eastenders for example, if someone gets married the only guests are the people who live on the square! In the real world, who has friends who all live in the same road?!

At Craig and Sarah's engagement party in Hollyoaks, the pub was full of people. Now I know it was a pub but everyone present was a 'young person' there were no 'oldies' there, so it was easy to take that as meaning they were all Craig and Sarah's friends.

When Craig had his birthday a few months before, Jake, Sarah and JP attended, no one else. Not one other mate in sight! lol

I'd love to know who turned up at Craig's 18th birthday party, but I've never seen that so I haven't a clue, but I wondered how many mates he had for the occasion, unless it was no more than a family thing, with, as you say, other familiar faces from the programme, even if he barely spoke to them!

In 2006/7 for the beginning of the McDean storyline, they had a foursome of friends in JP, Craig, Hannah and Sarah, and Nancy was a friend of them all as well. That was the closest I've seen to a bunch of friends that genuinely came across as a bunch of friends.
  • Options
    lobeydosserlobeydosser Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmc93 wrote: »

Problem with extras is they have to be paid more if they speak!

EE always had a few characters from the market who went in the pub and occasionally had a few lines. I thought it was very bad that when the did the big anniversary edition of RT, they missed out Big Ron.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem with extras is they have to be paid more if they speak!

EE always had a few characters from the market who went in the pub and occasionally had a few lines. I thought it was very bad that when the did the big anniversary edition of RT, they missed out Big Ron.

I love when the extras get lines, I feel happy for them that they're getting a few extra quid that week! :D