Names that annoy you

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane is fine, but not Jayne or Jaine. The deliberate misspelling of names to make them seem unique when they just sound the same as the original spelling.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I don't like names that are very common - as in popular.

I know of numerous people recently who have called their new babies Mia and Logan.

Schools will be awash with Mias and Logans in a few years to come.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    What about Emily, Mary, Molly, Penny, Lucy. None of them are nicknames and all of them are adult names (I know about 7 Emily's who are all now in their 30's). I agree with things like Daisy (I always think of the Bucket woman's sister when I hear that name) and Poppy. Nice names for a child but come adulthood and old age it might be strange.

Emily and Mary are the only ones I don't mind. The others are twee and awful.

It's not the nickname thing that bothers me. It's they sound childish. Penny and Molly especially! They are names for pets :D (We had a dog called Penny when I was a girl)
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ralph
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »

It's not the nickname thing that bothers me. It's they sound childish. Penny and Molly especially! They are names for pets :D (We had a dog called Penny when I was a girl)

That's my thing - if you want to call your little one Penny (or Molly) all well and good - but actually name them Penelope (or Mary) - at least that way they have more 'grown up'? options if they ever need them.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Princess, Angel, Prince, Chelsea, Alesha, Logan, Levi, Zane, Axel, Mia, Savannah, Shay, Mason, Jaydon, Braydon, Braison, Kaidan, Chad, Troy, Maddison, Morgan, Rhys, Leon, Keiran, Jackson, Mitchell, Lola, Tiffany, Tia, Mya, Christal, Diamond, Christabel, Chantelle, Jade, Natasha, Brooke, Brooklyn, Rihannon, Romeo, Cruz, Amber, Blake, Joel, Finn, Corey, Lea, Michelle, Teagan, Jay, Hood, Caleb, Reuben, Malachi, Soloman, Gabriel, Gabrielle, Imogen, Zoe, Ellie, Warren, Jamie, Talisa, Starr, Elvie, Summer, Hero, Nia, Melissa, Heidi, Tigerlily, Nahla, Karis, Tahlia, Jasmine, Keagan, Leighton, Jenson, Owen, Samson, Milo, April, Zack, Bethany, Macey, Aliannah, Ashton, Rafael, Dexter, Rio, Violet, Joshua, Justin, Lewis, Sonny, Melody, Elodie, Aaron, Holly, Alexa, Eden, Riley, Tianna, Kerry, Kayla, Kya, Kaya, Jada, Kenzie, Kenzo, Mckenzie, Darcy, Verity, Charity, Chasity, Ruby, Cara, Naomi, Yazmin, Cadence, Candy, Cindy, Cody, Tamara, Aurora.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Martha is one which REALLY annoys me!!!

It may sound nice when you're an old lady but having this name when you're a kid, would annoy the hell out of me (one of my mate's kids has the name)!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    That's my thing - if you want to call your little one Penny (or Molly) all well and good - but actually name them Penelope (or Mary) - at least that way they have more 'grown up'? options if they ever need them.

Exactly.

It's a matter of choice. I have a name that is grown up but I could call myself a shortened version which is 'cuter' if I wanted to (I don't but there is the option). I heard a woman call her toddler daughter Popsy once and I do hope it was a nickname and she won't have to go through her adult life with it.
  • molyeshamolyesha Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Penny is actually short for Penelope and Daisy is a short form/derivative from Margaret and Molly is a derivative of Mary - in the same way that Jack/Jake are from John. (I tell you, it's my hobby horse :blush:).

Thank you! Someone else who realises that Jack is NOT an actual name! Also, Lucy is a shortened form of Lucinda. I agree, I don't like it when people give their children shortened form names rather than the proper one, but it's starting to look as though a lot of people just don't know the proper versions anymore.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pippa... always seems to be snobs who have it..

Nellie. Maggie, Lizzie, Ina, Peggy, Jessie. Bessie...old shortened names
  • MubMub Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Names that are traditionally surnames - like Macauley and McKenzie and Harrison.

Completely agree. Add Mitchell to that list.

Also any phonetic spellings - Meeshell, for example.

And I agree with those who hate double-barrelled first names, Ellie-May, Bobbie-Jo. Makes me slightly stabby.

I think this thread could easily fit into the one on "Trivial things that annoy"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mub wrote: »
    Completely agree. Add Mitchell to that list.

Also any phonetic spellings - Meeshell, for example.

And I agree with those who hate double-barrelled first names, Ellie-May, Bobbie-Jo. Makes me slightly stabby.

I think this thread could easily fit into the one on "Trivial things that annoy"!

It's sometimes Ellie-Mae as well :o even worse
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Princess, Angel, Prince, Chelsea, Alesha, Logan, Levi, Zane, Axel, Mia, Savannah, Shay, Mason, Jaydon, Braydon, Braison, Kaidan, Chad, Troy, Maddison, Morgan, Rhys, Leon, Keiran, Jackson, Mitchell, Lola, Tiffany, Tia, Mya, Christal, Diamond, Christabel, Chantelle, Jade, Natasha, Brooke, Brooklyn, Rihannon, Romeo, Cruz, Amber, Blake, Joel, Finn, Corey, Lea, Michelle, Teagan, Jay, Hood, Caleb, Reuben, Malachi, Soloman, Gabriel, Gabrielle, Imogen, Zoe, Ellie, Warren, Jamie, Talisa, Starr, Elvie, Summer, Hero, Nia, Melissa, Heidi, Tigerlily, Nahla, Karis, Tahlia, Jasmine, Keagan, Leighton, Jenson, Owen, Samson, Milo, April, Zack, Bethany, Macey, Aliannah, Ashton, Rafael, Dexter, Rio, Violet, Joshua, Justin, Lewis, Sonny, Melody, Elodie, Aaron, Holly, Alexa, Eden, Riley, Tianna, Kerry, Kayla, Kya, Kaya, Jada, Kenzie, Kenzo, Mckenzie, Darcy, Verity, Charity, Chasity, Ruby, Cara, Naomi, Yazmin, Cadence, Candy, Cindy, Cody, Tamara, Aurora.

I'd agree with every one of those except Zoe and Imogen. I hate with a passion the name Alesha or God forbid when it's spelt Alicia (that should be Aliseeya).
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Martha is one which REALLY annoys me!!!

It may sound nice when you're an old lady but having this name when you're a kid, would annoy the hell out of me (one of my mate's kids has the name)!!!!

Oh I agree with this one too, I hate that name it actually makes me prickle with annoyance when I hear it (sorry any Martha's on here).
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    pickle
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double barrelled first names, most especially Sarah Louise.

Giving your child two first names is bad, but insisting on being addressed by both as an adult annoys me.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    Oh I agree with this one too, I hate that name it actually makes me prickle with annoyance when I hear it (sorry any Martha's on here).

Ha, that's one of my middle names, I blame my German mother :p

Thankfully none of my other names have cropped up, yet.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see the problem with Kieran/Ciaran, it's a perfectly cromulent name. Or is it an English people calling thier child an irish name thing?
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Penny is actually short for Penelope and Daisy is a short form/derivative from Margaret and Molly is a derivative of Mary - in the same way that Jack/Jake are from John. (I tell you, it's my hobby horse :blush:).

Molly is also a pet name for Margaret, I only know that because I used to read a book as a child and the main character was called Milly Molly Mandy (or Millicent, Margaret, Amanda when she was naughty)

I had a cat called Penny as child.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard a woman yesterday calling her two young daughters Presley and Memphis :o

Obviously an Elvis fan. I actually think it's quite cool to give your children names related to something or someone you're very passionate about - much better than choosing some stupid made-up collection of syllables just because it 'sounds nice' or it's 'different' - but, seriously. Memphis?! Can you imagine having to go through life being called Memphis?
  • MubMub Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    It's sometimes Ellie-Mae as well :o even worse

Ha, yes, I meant to type it that way! As you say, very annoying.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Molly is also a pet name for Margaret, I only know that because I used to read a book as a child and the main character was called Milly Molly Mandy (or Millicent, Margaret, Amanda when she was naughty)

I had a cat called Penny as child.

One of my dogs is named Molly and is named after my mum-in-law who's called Muriel but has always been known as Molly for some reason.

I adore the name but I am extremely biased ;-).

I find double-barreled first names sound very babyish and make me cringe.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    All American states and places. Dakota, Brooklyn, Madison, America. I also dislike names like Hunter, Bo, Tyrese, etc.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any name with La in front of it . La Keesha , La Leesha , La Toyah etc