Starting school

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
Forum Member
My little boy is starting school in a few weeks. We are in Scotland so he has had his 2 years at nursery, now he's 5 he's shy and timid but more than ready to start school. For ages I have been so excited and thinking about all this spare time I am going to have, I thought I'd be skipping with glee down the school gates. He's my oldest, I have a 3 year old who's starting nursery. So I have been a stay at home mum for the past 5 years. This afternoon sorting out his school clothes I have been blubbering like a baby. Hopefully I can contain myself on the big day. Any first day school experiences anyone would like to share?

Comments

• housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Fiona72 wrote: »
    My little boy is starting school in a few weeks. We are in Scotland so he has had his 2 years at nursery, now he's 5 he's shy and timid but more than ready to start school. For ages I have been so excited and thinking about all this spare time I am going to have, I thought I'd be skipping with glee down the school gates. He's my oldest, I have a 3 year old who's starting nursery. So I have been a stay at home mum for the past 5 years. This afternoon sorting out his school clothes I have been blubbering like a baby. Hopefully I can contain myself on the big day. Any first day school experiences anyone would like to share?

I was the same then when the day came I felt sick, funny thing was there was a dinner ladies job going so I applied and got the job, every day I got to see my two boys at lunch time.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Hopefully I can contain myself on the big day. Any first day school experiences anyone would like to share?

My wife works as a TA in reception class - so has the new starters as they arrive.

I would STRONGLY advise you to push him through the door and leave immediately, you blubbering is only going to upset him. Even the kids that are crying stop as soon as the parents have gone (they only seem to do it for the parents sake) - it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the parents.

So take him to school, leave him, and go home - don't hang about.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They told me I couldn't bite ppl. Who knew?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I remember taking my only one to school for the first time. She'd been with a child minder since she was 7 months old but school seemed so different!! I blubbed all the way back to the car!! :cry: She was fine!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    My wife works as a TA in reception class - so has the new starters as they arrive.

I would STRONGLY advise you to push him through the door and leave immediately, you blubbering is only going to upset him. Even the kids that are crying stop as soon as the parents have gone (they only seem to do it for the parents sake) - it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the parents.

So take him to school, leave him, and go home - don't hang about.

That must be a man thing lol. Me and my partner took him to nursery a few months ago, he was going through a clingy stage. I stood and pandered over him but my partner just walked away outside and left him. But as soon as I left not even a min he stopped crying!!
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter starts school next year and I can't wait for 6 hours of peace a day! Recently thought I've been having dreams where I'm out buying her uniform and then taking her to school and I'm really upset dropping her off. I'm going to be a mess on her first day but I know she'll love it and won't be bothered by me going away and leaving her. After that first day I'll be skipping to school every day.
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    My little girl goes to toddler's playgroup and loves it. She's found a little boy who she gravitates towards as soon as she sees him and they get on very well.

Introducing her to the idea of going to a place where she is part of a group of children who are not her family at the earliest possible opportunity is, in my opinion a good thing. She's very social and plays well with the other children.

If we move her through the various pre-school levels then by the time she starts full time school she should have no trouble with it.

What small children, left in an unfamiliar place, among unfamiliar people feel is often a sense of abandonment. There is very little you can do about that except put your trust in the professionalism and care of those who care for your little one.

When you return he will be glad to see you and in a relatively short space of time begin to understand that when he is left in this place every day, you will return to collect him soon enough. In the meantime, he will make friends and begin to trust his teacher. He'll start to look forward to going to school and his natural curiosity will soon kick in when he starts learning.

I'm sure he'll be fine.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Taken to first day at school age 5 by my mother for the first and last time. Thereafter on my own as were most of us but we were different people in a different era.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Taken to first day at school age 5 by my mother for the first and last time. Thereafter on my own as were most of us but we were different people in a different era.

I only took my daughter on her first day too. She was furious. She wanted to go with her friends. I took my eldest for the first week. After that no more. Neither of them cried and neither did I. !I used to enjoy all their milestones. I was never sad to watch them growing up.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my son's first day a couple of years ago I didn't even get to the classroom door before he kissed me and ran off into class.

My daughter starts in September but she's been at the school nursery for a year so her new classroom is just opposite her old one and she already knows her new teacher, I have no doubt that she'll be fine.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    My daughter starts school next year and I can't wait for 6 hours of peace a day! Recently thought I've been having dreams where I'm out buying her uniform and then taking her to school and I'm really upset dropping her off. I'm going to be a mess on her first day but I know she'll love it and won't be bothered by me going away and leaving her. After that first day I'll be skipping to school every day.

What an awful attitude.
  • aoife44aoife44 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was more upset when my daughter started nursery but she was absolutely fine and went off to play without a backward glance. When she started school we took her into her class and sat her down at her desk...and she said "just go" ...so we did. I could hardly speak, so hard was I trying to keep it together. She is going to high school after the holidays and I wonder what state I will be in then.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    What an awful attitude.

Quite. she should be with her child 100% of the time and love every second of it.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think parents find it more emotional than the kids, to most kids it's an adventure starting school.
    I remember when we took my son to school on his first day last year and he happily went in and I was so pleased until I got in the car to go to work and a song come on the radio that was out when he was born needless to say I went into work with puffy red eyes :)
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I was so worried and apprehensive for my oldest boy (now 35) on his first day at school. The parents were allowed/encouraged to go into the classroom with them on their first day and stay for half an hour or so to settle them down.

After about five minutes my son looked at me and said 'Are you staying all day?' - I said 'no' - he then said 'well go on then'

I came out and cried my eyes out. He was absolutely fine - most kids are in my experience - it's the parents who go to pieces.
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to him going to school as I can tell he's bored and ready to learn new things. Emotionally I don't know. I have been fine right up till the past few days as I have had him shopping getting all his new gear. I think with all the excitement on the day, I will hold it together. My daughter doesn't start school till she's 5 and a half so she will be more than ready.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    What an awful attitude.

Oh for God's sake it's a joke. I love my daughter more than anything I'm with her 6 days a week with no help whatsoever no children round about for her to play with. God forbid me for looking forward to a bit of time to myself to be able to work and for my daughter to make some friends rather than being bored playing with her mum all the time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to him going to school as I can tell he's bored and ready to learn new things. Emotionally I don't know. I have been fine right up till the past few days as I have had him shopping getting all his new gear. I think with all the excitement on the day, I will hold it together. My daughter doesn't start school till she's 5 and a half so she will be more than ready.
    I'm exactly the same. My daughter loves playing with other children and loves going to nursery (3 hours a day) and I know she will love it. I'll be in tears after I drop her off as she's still my baby and will only be 4 when she starts :(
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    I was the same then when the day came I felt sick, funny thing was there was a dinner ladies job going so I applied and got the job, every day I got to see my two boys at lunch time.

I always feel it must be a bit awkward having family members work at the same school that you go to.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    These stories are sweet and are reminding me of having gone over to support my best friend when she took her eldest to nursery for the first time. It was only a dry run and she was only going to be separated from her daughter for an hour.

Or at least the wise woman at the nursery had said she mustn't come back for at least an hour. The instructions were. Bring your daughter along any time after 10. Hand her over to a member of staff. Turn around and walk away and don't look back. Don't return for one hour or longer. My job was to ensure that happened.

My friend got down the drive before falling apart, thereafter she was in bits. It was so weird. She is a professional woman at the top of her field and this blubbering wreck did not fit her usual persona at all.

Anyway her daughter had a lovely time. My friend slowly settled down and we managed a coffee and a piece of cake before picking up the little one 2 hours!! later.. I had a sneaking suspicion the whole dry run the nursery arranged for new starters was not about acclimatising the child so much as acclimatising the mother. :)
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My little girl was 3 in December and started nursery in January. She's in a pre-school class (she goes all year round) with other 3 and 4 year-olds, and won't start reception until September 2016.

I am absolutely gutted for her (and so will she be when she realises its "forever") that most of her little friends will not be coming back after the holidays. One of her friends in particular was only 4 a couple of weeks ago and her mother said she feels like she's just too young to go to school yet.

I can't really remember starting school, although I recall time spent in reception class quite clearly. I don't think I found it particularly traumatic, and am pretty sure my Mum was glad to have me off-hand so he could get on with Mummy-activities like keep-fit and coffee mornings :)
    Forum Member
    Oh for God's sake it's a joke. I love my daughter more than anything I'm with her 6 days a week with no help whatsoever no children round about for her to play with. God forbid me for looking forward to a bit of time to myself to be able to work and for my daughter to make some friends rather than being bored playing with her mum all the time!

Quite right you deserve it. I'm looking forward to me time as well. My son will be at school and my daughter will be at nursery 4 hours a day. So I have planned to go to the gym a few hours a week also got a wee home help job lined up 10 hours a week as well. Just got the settling in at school/nursery to dread first lol x
    Forum Member
    I'm exactly the same. My daughter loves playing with other children and loves going to nursery (3 hours a day) and I know she will love it. I'll be in tears after I drop her off as she's still my baby and will only be 4 when she starts :(

I think it's different here in Scotland with school starting ages. We go to nursery for 2 years when you turn 3. Then at 5 you go into primary one. My son has just turned 5, but my daughter has a march birthday so she won't start school till the aug, so she'll be 5 and a half. Which I think personally the older the better for them. x