Options

Upgrading from Gingerbread to ICS, Samsung S2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
Forum Member
✭✭
I’ve got a Samsung S2 on 3, contract. Had it since April, contract ends in a long time. I’m currently running Gingerbread XWKI8.

I’d like to upgrade it to ICS.

Apart from Kies, is there a way of upgrading it. Could I take it into a 3 Store and would they do it for me? What is the process of upgrading it – will it lose all data/apps/contacts etc?

Cheers all!

Comments

• Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From memory on your Galaxy S2

Go to your apps, click on the Settings icon, scroll all the way down to About at the end and click.

Then click Software update.

Any reason why you don't want to use Kies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Red

I've heard by using Kies it may lose everything, or could that happen anyway?

is there much difference/point in upgrading to ICS?
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    red_g00ner wrote: »
    From memory on your Galaxy S2

Go to your apps, click on the Settings icon, scroll all the way down to About at the end and click.

Then click Software update.

Any reason why you don't want to use Kies?

That doesn't work for some of the network updates.....
    Kies worked fine on mine, just plugged it in and clicked ok for the update. I backed up everything on kies before the upgrade and also used MyBackup Pro from the Play store. I didn't lose anything.....
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I updated mine to ICS 4.04 and its still buggy random lock ups and freezing lots of force closes wish I had never updated.If your happy with GB I would stay on that as ICS just seems to screw u some phones.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    I updated mine to ICS 4.04 and its still buggy random lock ups and freezing lots of force closes wish I had never updated.If your happy with GB I would stay on that as ICS just seems to screw u some phones.

My experience to a tee.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »

Did you do the factory reset after the update? If not try it.....;)
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Did you do the factory reset after the update? If not try it.....;)

Not yet but i did a reset before i updated.Another reset will be the next step before reverting back to GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think I'll wait, cheers!!