Lorde - Pure Heroine (Album Thread)

LMLM Posts: 63,332
Forum Member
✭✭
This is the debut album from Lorde. It was released in the states a few months ago but is released here today

It is a really good album, i must say. There are songs on there i feel are stronger than Royals.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Downloaded the album a couple of days ago, and although I have only listened to it once, I do quite like what I'm hearing.

I'm really liking the minimalist dance/ art pop/ future garage vibes I get off the album.

We could be doing a lot worse when it comes to having a new "it" girl. :)
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Just listened to it on Spotify, really liked it! Royals, Team, 400 Lux and Ribs are early favourites for me but overall a good body of work. Really hope she announces UK tour dates soon, I would really like to see her live :)
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still on the fence about this kid, but my god what an impact she has had. Chart success both sides of the Atlantic. Very impressive to have achieved that.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I'm still on the fence about this kid, but my god what an impact she has had. Chart success both sides of the Atlantic. Very impressive to have achieved that.

100% agree with all this. Time will tell if she will have longevity but she's taking the music world by storm at the moment, isn't she? I'm surprised there isn't more talk about her on here but I guess she's sort of come out of nowhere, really.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Not really, when you consider all the hype she's had.
    Forum Member
    I'm by no means a big fan but has she really had that much hype? I know she's had unbelievably kind press that bizarrely skirted over the fact she's been 'in development' (which has always sounded creepy to me) with one of the World's biggest record companies since she was 12 (which originally irked me as an LDR fan :p) but I'm not convinced she's been that hyped, certainly not in the UK.

PS Apologies for digressing from the idea of the thread, little-monster. I really must get round to having a listen to the album (for anyone who is interested it is available to legally download from 7digital for £5.99)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Downloaded the album a couple of days ago, and although I have only listened to it once, I do quite like what I'm hearing.

I'm really liking the minimalist dance/ art pop/ future garage vibes I get off the album.

We could be doing a lot worse when it comes to having a new "it" girl. :)
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I'm by no means a big fan but has she really had that much hype? I know she's had unbelievably kind press that bizarrely skirted over the fact she's been 'in development' (which has always sounded creepy to me) with one of the World's biggest record companies since she was 12 (which originally irked me as an LDR fan :p) but I'm not convinced she's been that hyped, certainly not in the UK.

PS Apologies for digressing from the idea of the thread, little-monster. I really must get round to having a listen to the album (for anyone who is interested it is available to legally download from 7digital for £5.99)

I purchased my copy of it on Irish iTunes :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly I'm not sure she has had that much hype either. And even if you have hype it doesn't guarantee success. She beat James Arthur in the UK singles charts by quite some margin in terms of sales. I don't think it would be unfair to say he has had waaaaaaay more hype than she did in this country (various plugs on radio & TV to flog his single). It didn't work for him did it? So yeah I think you've got to give her respect for doing that.

For whatever reason she does seem to have struck a chord with people out there. As I say, I couldn’t even say whether I really like her or not at this stage. The press do indeed seem a little too kind and I don't like how she tends to diss other female artists in most of her interviews. Indeed on one of the threads on here she was compared to the Gallagher brothers in terms of self-opinionated "pretentiousness." Not sure if she will attempt to grow a monobrow and say she's "mad-fer-it" to back that up!

However I ultimately rate people in the music world on their music, not whatever funny for the wrong reason waffle they come out with in interviews. So we'll see what happens with her. She's one to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly I'm not sure she has had that much hype either. And even if you have hype it doesn't guarantee success. She beat James Arthur in the UK singles charts by quite some margin in terms of sales. I don't think it would be unfair to say he has had waaaaaaay more hype than she did in this country (various plugs on radio & TV to flog his single). It didn't work for him did it? So yeah I think you've got to give her respect for doing that.

For whatever reason she does seem to have struck a chord with people out there. As I say, I couldn’t even say whether I really like her or not at this stage. The press do indeed seem a little too kind and I don't like how she tends to diss other female artists in most of her interviews. Indeed on one of the threads on here she was compared to the Gallagher brothers in terms of self-opinionated "pretentiousness." Not sure if she will attempt to grow a monobrow and say she's "mad-fer-it" to back that up!

However I ultimately rate people in the music world on their music, not whatever funny for the wrong reason waffle they come out with in interviews. So we'll see what happens with her. She's one to watch.

Oh, she already changed, she stated last week that she is aware that the reporters want to provoke her with question about her competition.

This is something you learn first if you are new. I recall an interview with Adele in the beginning of the 21 era where she said she was too mouthy in the past and the reporters stretched the truth a little bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an average album, I expected a little better if I'm honest. Royals is the best song by far imo with a couple of other decent songs but the rest is just average. Musically it's lacklustre, she needs to work with better producers/musicians in future imo (not necessarily to help with the songwriting but to help with the sound). It's an okay start but I'm sure there's better to come.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buzzcut Season is the free download of the week on iTunes....great track IMO.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing creepy about her being development for several years. Quite a few past and present artists are signed to labels but the label won't get an album straight out of them, they will watch them get older and allow their vocals and songwriting to grow and then prepare them for an album and success. Emeli Sande is an example of this. It's a much better way to do this i feel.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buzzcut Season is just amazing. So so hypnotic, lyrically interesting as well. I'm looking forward to hearing this album, I'm not overly fussed on Royals but Tennis Court I love too.
  • P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been listening to this album a lot since I bought it yesterday. :)
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the video to Tennis Court, she really has an awesome nonchalant look, very hypnotic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Love the video to Tennis Court, she really has an awesome nonchalant look, very hypnotic.

I hate it:o
    I just find her too creepy to watch in it.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to sound like an x factor judge, but I can't believe she is only 16.

That said, a lot of the tracks are kind of samey.. But "A World Alone" is really promising.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Not to sound like an x factor judge, but I can't believe she is only 16.

That said, a lot of the tracks are kind of samey.. But "A World Alone" is really promising.

They are meant to be samey because that's the sound she is working with. Like with Lana

I would rather have an album full of folksy alternative pop songs than an album full of club bangers where I will need to keep a pot of Aspirin at the side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know that statement Little-Monster makes about rather having an album of folksy alt pop songs than a load of club bangers I think sums up nicely why Lorde probably has had such an impact. Think a lot of people are fed up with the derivative club sound that tends to dominate radio. Although the perception is young people like the likes of Miley Cyrus and her Bangerz, many have got more sense and Lorde has been the most recent antidote to that.

And yeah you can definitely see the influence of Lana Del Rey and of course Adele and for that matter and the late great Amy Winehouse over the new talent that's coming through like Lorde. They've been the road map for what's possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you pronounce her name? I've been calling her "Lord-E"...my friend laughed at me:confused:
    Forum Member
    :D I have it on good authority that the E is most definitely silent. Like in Heroine:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh thanks koney....oops:o
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I has kinda divided opinion, some critics are giving it like 9/10 and hailing her as 'the savior of pop' and stuff whilst others are calling it underwhelming.

I really like it personally, I think the simplicity works really well and as a 15 year old I find the lyrics really relatable and refreshing.

All ten songs are really sharp and hard-hitting, Royals isn't one of my favourites (probably because I've been listening to it for months now and I'm getting a bit bored) but all the tracks are stellar.

The only thing I would change is the offensively dull artwork and packaging of it. I know it's meant to be 'pure' and simple but C'MON!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will just mention incase anyone wants to iplayer it: Lorde was on Nick Gwimmyshaw's Radio 1 show this morning. She was a bit jet lagged but came across well I thought. It was never going to be the deepest interview with him at the helm, but it was an enjoyable listen where she gave a bit of insight into how she got where she is today. She says she likes London & the British in general cause we get that she's a bit darker.

Was nice to hear Royals playing on his show too. Even he admitted that with a lot of the music they play, he's signalling fade it out a.s.a.p. cause its so bad, but he said that song's not one of them.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are meant to be samey because that's the sound she is working with. Like with Lana

I would rather have an album full of folksy alternative pop songs than an album full of club bangers where I will need to keep a pot of Aspirin at the side.

No it's not to do with the sound. You can still have different style songs but keep it within the same genre. I'm just thinking of the album as a whole. But I do like some songs on it, which is why I brought those songs and not the full album.

I don't think the whole album sound completely identical but I just don't think the sound varies enough to make the album exciting, but it's just my opinion.