Options

Samsung Galaxy S6 a radical redesign

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Samsung are going to do a radical redesign of the Galaxy S6. Samsung is working on “Project Zero”, a complete reimagining of their premier handset with the launch of the Galaxy S6 in 2015.

Rumoured Specs include:

Quad HD display, 2560 x 1440 pixels, no word on size
16 Mpx back camera, with OIS
5 Mpx camera same as the Galaxy A5 and A3
New Exynos 7420, 64-bit chip / Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
Possible in-house LTE modem

Samsung may also produce an Edge variant of the S6.

Samsung may well be aiming for a phone that is more akin to the Galaxy Alpha?

http://www.neowin.net/news/project-zero-samsung-is-re-imagining-its-flagship-with-the-galaxy-s6

http://www.neowin.net/news/next-samsung-flagship-said-to-be-galaxy-s6-and-there-may-be-an-edge-variant-too

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had the Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2, Mega 5.8 and 6.3. I was a bit of a Samsung lover until......I got hold of a OnePlus One. I don't think, personally, I'll ever go back to Samsung.

The problem they all seem to have, even the powerful ones like the S5, is Touchwiz. It's seems to remove the 'wiz' part and causes lag, on what would otherwise be a very good mobile.

I guess that's why so many people flash the likes of Cyanogen or Paranoid Android to remove the bloatware from them.

They need to do something very radical to bounce back.
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently own the Samsung Galaxy S5 and pay £15 a month for 300 minutes unlimited texts and 300MB of data which is on O2.

I've had a read of your post and the link on 'Project Zero' and i'm having a look at the concept design and it appears that there's no mention nor visible design that shows a port of USB 3.0 which was a huge feature of the Samsung Galaxy S5 in my opinion.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    I have had the Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2, Mega 5.8 and 6.3. I was a bit of a Samsung lover until......I got hold of a OnePlus One. I don't think, personally, I'll ever go back to Samsung.

Just checked out the OnePlus One having never heard of it before.

There's no removable battery and no microSD card slot. They look cheap and have no physical home button. For me, those are the marks that makes the Samsung Galaxy range so great. The next choice for me would be the G3, except it lacks a physical home button.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main issue I have with the OnePlus One is that it doesn't support the 800Mhz LTE band that will be / is used over here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »

There's no removable battery and no microSD card slot. They look cheap and have no physical home button. For me, those are the marks that makes the Samsung Galaxy range so great. The next choice for me would be the G3, except it lacks a physical home button.
    Battery life is absolutely fantastic. And I do mean fantastic! I start work at 5am, I use my phone a lot during the day, and with the Samsung I would ALWAYS have to plug in by 11ish because the battery life was poor. On this OnePlus since I've had it, 2 months now, I've not had to plug in during the day. When I go to bed in the evening there is more often than not around 25-30% left...every day! I would NEVER have that with the Samsung.

No need for a removable one with this phone.
    No microSD car because it has 64GB internal as standard compared to Samsung's feeble 16/32GB option.

The home button is at bottom of the as capacitive buttons. Less thing to physically break.

As for the "they look cheap"...seriously? They are actually extremely well built, and feel very, very premium to the touch. Far superior to the touch than the Galaxy S5 I had. Believe me, there's nothing cheap about it except the price.

Go watch some proper reviews from real users. Honestly, for £280 I have got (IMHO and others opinions) a £700 phone! :cool:
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sealed battery, sealed storage and no physical home button are a win, win, win. Removable storage, batteries and physical buttons should be consigned to the dustbin of history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I am keeping an eye on topics like this, as i am due an upgrade in the spring. I would prefer a better build than the previous S phones.

To be honest, I am not bothered with removable storage, I make use of what i have. I have never needed to replace a battery but i know people who have, so thats one i am not sure about yet. Not too fussed on physical buttons but i dont think on-screen home buttons always work. On My Nexus 5 on most apps you have to put up with a black bar at the foot of the page, i have never known why they can make it transparent, or the buttons are hidden after X seconds of inactivity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FreeFool wrote: »
    I am keeping an eye on topics like this, as i am due an upgrade in the spring. I would prefer a better build than the previous S phones.

To be honest, I am not bothered with removable storage, I make use of what i have. I have never needed to replace a battery but i know people who have, so thats one i am not sure about yet. Not too fussed on physical buttons but i dont think on-screen home buttons always work. On My Nexus 5 on most apps you have to put up with a black bar at the foot of the page, i have never known why they can make it transparent, or the buttons are hidden after X seconds of inactivity.
    One the OnePlus there are capacitive buttons that take no real estate, as well as optional on screen buttons that take on screen estate.

Good thing is, you have user choice as to what you use. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One Plus One is generally acknowledged as the smartphone 2014 :confused: It feels premium in the hand and has a quality screen. It is built like a HTC desire HD, anyone who has tried one has been very impressed. I bought one I was so impressed - go on YouTube to have a look, its a looks like a premium phone.

The only downside for me was it runs CM (earlier versions were buggy, but improved with later builds) but you can now get AOSP.

Not sure why you need a physical button either :confused:
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The best thing about the one plus is the price. There it's nothing exceptional about the phone apart from this. However this it's a big factor to consider given the price/spec. I often wonder why people are so keen phones they have bought :)

No sd and sealed battery as mentioned would be major downers and the current price of the g3 would make this more attractive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    The best thing about the one plus is the price. There it's nothing exceptional about the phone apart from this. However this it's a big factor to consider given the price/spec. I often wonder why people are so keen phones they have bought :)

No sd and sealed battery as mentioned would be major downers and the current price of the g3 would make this more attractive.

1+1 screen is quality, it really fast, terrific battery and it has 64GB. I cant remember the last battery I needed to change. I doubt I will ever need 64GB, currently I have used around 10GB max and decreasing as I delete movies once watched.

I like the G3 the only thing putting me off is the button placement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with then no, if however it was priced at the same point as the note 4 say there would be far less fans of this phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with then no, if however it was priced at the same point as the note 4 say there would be far less fans of this phone.
    So this must mean the Note 4 is overpriced and bloated :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could make the argument it is overpriced indeed.

Not sure how you get to make the bloated part of the argument.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    No need for a removable one with this phone.
    No microSD car because it has 64GB internal as standard compared to Samsung's feeble 16/32GB option.

Just to keep it accurate, the standard one+ one is actually a "feeble" 16GB option.

It's a reasonably decent phone with a few flaws like lack of SD and lack of full European/UK LTE support and less backup if issues occur than from a proper manufacturer.

Your gushing about the phone reads like a paid for advertorial...
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some great phones out there but the unpublicised (almost alternative) reality is that the S5 is still way ahead of the rest.

I watched some CNET info telling the other day us how the S5 now has the most accurate screen of any smartphone available. But as no one panders to Samsung with semi truths, we get properly informed that it works best with the curtains closed because accuracy actually means lower intensity 'cinema mode'.

For normal use we all do prefer a more visible and thus saturated setting. It does seems a shame if they are having to pander to the US media half truth perception by going radical.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an S3 and by January the android 5.0 is going to be downloadable.

So there's no need for me to upgrade in the meantime and I use it indoors with the fixed line wifi.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    I have an S3 and by January the android 5.0 is going to be downloadable.

So there's no need for me to upgrade in the meantime and I use it indoors with the fixed line wifi.

The S3 wont have anything beyond Jelly Bean officially unless you intend to download a custom ROM of 5.0.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    For me one the big downsides of the Samsungs is the physical home button. i much prefer the configurable on-screen buttons. When I was looking to upgrade the other things that pushed me towards the Nexus 5 were:
    1) Touchwiz
    2) Price - I just couldnt see why I would want to pay so much more for an S5 over a N5

With the N6 being much closer in price the choice becomes less clear again. I still think Touchwiz would put me off the S range - I could be tempted towards an HTC though.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the insistence on retaining a physical button (and I suspect it was only ever put there because Samsung wanted to copy Apple) is one reason I don't own a Samsung tablet, despite them making some extremely nice ones.

I don't want a button. I don't want other soft keys on the shell either. At first I wasn't convinced about on-screen keys, but now I'm sold and there are so many benefits. It's not even as if they eat up screen real estate as you can still make a lot of apps full-screen (if they don't go full screen by themselves).

It took long enough for Samsung to add the recent apps button, but in 2015 I'd really love to see all of them gone and for Samsung to just go with the flow. Oh, and tone down TouchWiz and give up trying to replicate every Google App to try and prepare for one day when you ditch Android. Tizen is going nowhere Samsung - give up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no physical buttons on samsung tablets, not that I am aware of.

As for soft buttons on a phone until they become fully removable (as was supposed to be available from 4.0) I remain unconvinced. the bigger the screen becomes the less of an issue it is but there are still too many instances of these not being fully hidden for my liking.

I for one like the intergration offered by lg/samsung in their versions - particularly like the multi screen implementaion LG have have with the windows popping up for certain tasks. I am happy to forgo the marginal speed benefit of stock for some nice features as in reality it is not noticeable.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no physical buttons on samsung tablets, not that I am aware of.

As for soft buttons on a phone until they become fully removable (as was supposed to be available from 4.0) I remain unconvinced. the bigger the screen becomes the less of an issue it is but there are still too many instances of these not being fully hidden for my liking.

I for one like the intergration offered by lg/samsung in their versions - particularly like the multi screen implementaion LG have have with the windows popping up for certain tasks. I am happy to forgo the marginal speed benefit of stock for some nice features as in reality it is not noticeable.

Several members of the Galaxy Tab family have physical buttons on the front.

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/idge/imported/article/cio/2013/09/18/samsunggalaxytab3family-100340359-orig.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So they have, never had a samsung tablet with buttons, weird coincidence.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which ones don't have buttons? Any tablet from Samsung that I'd be looking to buy has the Apple-esque button and capacitive buttons underneath the screen.

Given a tablet is regularly swapped from portrait to landscape, it's even more silly to have this on a tablet than a phone.

And I also think the button on the iPhone and iPad is equally stupid.

All my personal opinion so I'm not trying to change opinions, just explain why I personally won't buy a Samsung tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My old tab never had nor does my note. As i said never used a Samsung with buttons.