Options

LED TV - Not a fault, but where are these pictures being stored?

I have a 32" Sharp TV connected as follows (all connections HDMI).

TV connected to HDMI output of a Tvonics receiver/recorder for freeview
Sky HD receiver (Pace) connected through HDMI input 1 on Tvonics receiver
Humax HD receiver for french TNT-Sat and other foreign broadcasts through HDMI 2 on Tvonics receiver (Humax receiver purchased recently from France)

Apart from what follows it all works perfectly.

Now this is what is happening. If I switch off the TV off after watching somehing from the Humax, the "old video" is displayed when I switch the TV back on. By that, I mean the TV displays about 10 seconds of pictures from the time the set was switched off, the picture then dissolves and the current programme then appears. The sound is always the current programme and the picture and sound are synchronised correctly when it appears.

So where could these few seconds of video be being stored and why are they not overwritten with the current input when the set is switched back on? it seems very odd and only happens with programmes from the Humax, an HDMI issue perhaps? I have never seen anything like this before and it does not happen with output from the sky or freeview equipment.

Comments

• Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I have two PVRs, both different makes to yours. I get a similar thing - except I just get a still frame from the last time they were used. I assume it comes from the buffer in the PVR.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Strange isn't it? It only affects the output from the Humax receiver so I wonder if there might be some minor issue with their implementation of HDMI?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Strange isn't it? It only affects the output from the Humax receiver so I wonder if there might be some minor issue with their implementation of HDMI?

I reckon it's stored in the video processing buffers in the TV. Instead of putting it into sby, try turning the TV off at the mains for say 5 minutes. Does it happen when you turn on the TV again ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reckon it's stored in the video processing buffers in the TV. Instead of putting it into sby, try turning the TV off at the mains for say 5 minutes. Does it happen when you turn on the TV again ?

Will try that and see what happens
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that were the case then surely it would affect every source not just the Humax PVR only?

Though one thing that might point to the source of these images is if the TV comes back on with the Humax HDMI selected or not. If it defaults to switching on with, say, it's built in tuner selected then that does suggest its the TV storing the images. But if it remembers which source it was set to and goes back to that then it might be the Humax.

Does seem rather odd that it only seems to be the Humax images that get stored in this way.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If that were the case then surely it would affect every source not just the Humax PVR only?

Though one thing that might point to the source of these images is if the TV comes back on with the Humax HDMI selected or not. If it defaults to switching on with, say, it's built in tuner selected then that does suggest its the TV storing the images. But if it remembers which source it was set to and goes back to that then it might be the Humax.

Does seem rather odd that it only seems to be the Humax images that get stored in this way.

My TV remembers the input, there is no issue with any of my 4 Humax recorders.

That includes a HDR100Os (boots to the freetime home screen). the others 2 HDR FOX-T2 and a Foxsat-HDR boot to live viewing of the last viewed channel. This has been the case with 3 different TV's (2 Sonys and a Panasonic) and 3 different AV receivers (Denon, Sony and Yamaha).

All of them buffer live content to a fixed size file on the hard disk, switching off or changing channels starts recording over the buffer file from the beginning. As this totally destroys the previous recorded data it would seen impossible to be down to the Humax PVR. It's possible on a Foxsat-HDR with the Custom Firmware to actually copy this file to a PC and examine the contents (Even HD is not encrypted).

The Foxsat-HD has no recording capability and therefore no buffer, so it's quite impossible it remembers anything.

This data afaik cannot possibly exist on a Humax box other than on the hard disk in the time shift file.

Booting the box if the box was sending this to the TV it must appear on the connected display, this has never ever been posted on any forum I have ever read.

Hard to see it can be anything but a peculiarity with the TV, The TV the OP has is not exactly mainstream so my guess it has to be the cause of the peculiarity :) .

It would be interesting to know what the video output settings of the various other kit is set to. Perhaps swap the HDMI inputs to see if it's input specific.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My TV remembers the input, there is no issue with any of my 4 Humax recorders.

That includes a HDR100Os (boots to the freetime home screen). the others 2 HDR FOX-T2 and a Foxsat-HDR boot to live viewing of the last viewed channel. This has been the case with 3 different TV's (2 Sonys and a Panasonic) and 3 different AV receivers (Denon, Sony and Yamaha).

All of them buffer live content to a fixed size file on the hard disk, switching off or changing channels starts recording over the buffer file from the beginning. As this totally destroys the previous recorded data it would seen impossible to be down to the Humax PVR. It's possible on a Foxsat-HDR with the Custom Firmware to actually copy this file to a PC and examine the contents (Even HD is not encrypted).

The Foxsat-HD has no recording capability and therefore no buffer, so it's quite impossible it remembers anything.

This data afaik cannot possibly exist on a Humax box other than on the hard disk in the time shift file.

Booting the box if the box was sending this to the TV it must appear on the connected display, this has never ever been posted on any forum I have ever read.

Hard to see it can be anything but a peculiarity with the TV, The TV the OP has is not exactly mainstream so my guess it has to be the cause of the peculiarity :) .

It would be interesting to know what the video output settings of the various other kit is set to. Perhaps swap the HDMI inputs to see if it's input specific.

The TV is a bog standard 32" Sharp bought from Richer Sounds about 18 months ago. They told me they were selling a lot of them at the time, what's not "mainstream" about it?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    The TV is a bog standard 32" Sharp bought from Richer Sounds about 18 months ago. They told me they were selling a lot of them at the time, what's not "mainstream" about it?

Depends what you mean by 'mainstream'?, it's just a cheap Vestel set - identical to most other cheap makes.

Most common fault on them is rectifier failure, due to their poor design - common across numerous Vestel sets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Depends what you mean by 'mainstream'?, it's just a cheap Vestel set - identical to most other cheap makes.

Most common fault on them is rectifier failure, due to their poor design - common across numerous Vestel sets.

By "mainstream" I just mean mass market. it doesn't say Vestel on it but as you as, it will be made by them. It isn't as solidly built as a previous Sharp set I had. Not a bad picture but the sound is only just about adequate.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Not a bad picture but the sound is only just about adequate.

To be fair, that applies to almost all sets :D