Options

My 72 year old mum is being victimised. However, it's a Bank Holiday

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
My mum walked into her sitting room this morning only to see a five inch diameter hole in her window and glass all over the carpet. This is now the fourth time her windows have been shot at in a year. This is frightening and upsetting her.

She phoned the police and was told that they wouldn't send anyone out because this wasn't a repeat crime. My mum argued that it was and the woman on the phone became impatient with her and said "We can't record crimes if you don't report them, can we". She said there was no record of any previous incidents.

My mum had to find an old note book where she had recorded the other crime/incident numbers. The woman on the phone then said, "Oh, how do you spell your name again?" My mum started to spell out her surname and the woman said, "No, I mean your first name". She had spelled my mum's first name slightly wrong and couldn't find her information. Even though she had all her other info including her full postal address.

After all that the woman said they won't be sending out a policeman because it's a Bank Holiday.

Huh!

Comments

• Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you know, crime takes a break for bank holidays!

On a serious note, it's ridiculous, just seems like the police force aren't interested in doing their job in the first place.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Tell her to phone again and say "I pay your wages!"

I would keep phoning until I got someone decent.
  • Options
    moondrops1moondrops1 Posts: 3,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's disgusting the way your mum was treated. The officer sounded like a real bitch. I'd complain about her attitude to be honest. Can't you phone on your mum's behalf?
  • Options
    TS ElliotTS Elliot Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Yes it is unfortunate.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah that sucks.

My windows have been shot at before as well. Once was the afternoon of a big party my mum was throwing that evening :o she freaked out! We didnt report it though - was just the feral neds again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sketcher wrote: »
    My mum walked into her sitting room this morning only to see a five inch diameter hole in her window and glass all over the carpet. This is now the fourth time her windows have been shot at in a year. This is frightening and upsetting her.

She phoned the police and was told that they wouldn't send anyone out because this wasn't a repeat crime. My mum argued that it was and the woman on the phone became impatient with her and said "We can't record crimes if you don't report them, can we".

Repeat crime?????

If they take that to a logical conclusion, does it mean that they wouldn't send anyone out until someone had been murdered for the second time then???? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the police do all they can and it is not their fault. ;) Remember these officers risk their lives for us everyday and calls like this just waste their valuable time. :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TS Elliot wrote: »
    I think the police do all they can and it is not their fault. ;) Remember these officers risk their lives for us everyday and calls like this just waste their valuable time. :sleep:

What??!!

'Calls like this' ? The poor woman's had her window shot through for the 4th time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whereas racial diversity training is really time and money well spent then is it??

Last time I looked, the police's role was crime detection and law enforcement.................. or am I missing the point??? :confused:
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell your Nan to ring them up again and say "It's OK, I borrowed my Grandsons air rifle and i've shot the bastard who did it". They'll come then.....
  • Options
    cazkinscazkins Posts: 5,136
    Forum Member
    Cazza23 wrote: »
    Repeat crime?????

If they take that to a logical conclusion, does it mean that they wouldn't send anyone out until someone had been murdered for the second time then???? :confused::confused::confused:

Now look, you! This is serious thread and I'm sitting here, reading away, feeling really sorry for the OP's mum and beginning to feel quite angry on her behalf; then you go and post that and make me lol! :D:D

sketcher, I hope your mum is ok. I'd contact the local press, it's often amazing how quickly that causes a change of attitude.
  • Options
    AVFC.AVFC. Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Do you mean shot as in shot with a gun ?
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does your mother not have a tenants association or a representative that can contact the police and speak on behalf of your mother, its wrong that an officer isn't going to see your mother even if it was only to offer some reassurance, she's vulnerable and needs her mind put at ease.

Is it local youngsters that is behind these incidents? If so what are the local authorities and police doing about them?

Don't let your mother be another statistic, you fight for her and her right to live in peace. Contact your ward councillors or MP to see what can be done to help her.

If you want anything from this country in the way of help you have to fight for it. Too few people to sort and fix far to many problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes but what can the police do when they come out to her? Whereas they can get better results by only going to a premises where the culprits can be caught. They do their very best our police and we still have the best police force in the world. That is why other countries are always trying to recruit British officers. I am sure wiz net, deep purple and stumblebum will back me up on this. I am very sure they will. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member

You are forgetting that we PAY their wages via council tax.

If we are paying for a service,we expect to see results and quickly.

Otherwise,what is the bloody point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but what can the police do when they come out to her? Whereas they can get better results by only going to a premises where the culprits can be caught. They do their very best our police and we still have the best police force in the world. That is why other countries are always trying to recruit British officers. I am sure wiz net, deep purple and stumblebum will back me up on this. I am very sure they will. :cool:

Obviously.

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about the ignorant officer who took this poor woman's call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cazkins wrote: »
    Now look, you! This is serious thread and I'm sitting here, reading away, feeling really sorry for the OP's mum and beginning to feel quite angry on her behalf; then you go and post that and make me lol! :D:D

sketcher, I hope your mum is ok. I'd contact the local press, it's often amazing how quickly that causes a change of attitude.

Sorry Cazkins!! :o:o:o

I'm not really!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I find it hard to believe that a 999 operator (I'm assuming the OP's mother called this number) said that as it was a bank holiday police wouldn't be attending calls. The calls are recorded aren't they, ring back and complain about her attitude OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are forgetting that we PAY their wages via council tax.

If we are paying for a service,we expect to see results and quickly.

Otherwise,what is the bloody point?

We don't pay them enough! I could cry when I hear that officers got less than 2% and look how food etc. has shot up (sorry pun not intended). Our officers eat a lot as well due to the nature of their work. Poor mites have to eat crap like macdonalds etc. Who else would do such a difficult job? I wholeheardedly take the side of the police here. ;)
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a serious note, it's ridiculous, just seems like the police force aren't interested in doing their job in the first place.
    Or maybe, the Police are nothing more than businessmen for the superiors in Government. Doesn't it seem strange that they seem to take a proactive role in motoring and litter offences which can generate fine revenue but nothing is done for crimes which would involve the perpetrator being arrested and taken down to the nick?

Sadly the OP's experience with Police is one that is coming up more and more on these forums, and I would personally keep pursing it with the Police. But with treatment from the Police like this, it wouldn't surprise me if people soon turn to vigilantism to uphold respect and law in the community, which the Police seem to be doing less of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't pay them enough! I could cry when I hear that officers got less than 2% and look how food etc. has shot up (sorry pun not intended). Our officers eat a lot as well due to the nature of their work. Poor mites have to eat crap like macdonalds etc. Who else would do such a difficult job? I wholeheardedly take the side of the police here. ;)

Why on earth do these 'poor mites' eat any more than anyone else?

You're on a wind up, right :D
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Is there a Police "Neighbourhood Team" you could contact?

Nigel
  • Options
    Forum Member

The ones I have met are serially incompetent and try to turn you into the criminal instead of going about and doing their jobs properly.

I would never phone the police again but I can't get a rebate on my council tax.

It should paid by result. That way they would get off their fat arses and do something instead of eating doughnuts all day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moondrops1 wrote: »
    Why on earth do these 'poor mites' eat any more than anyone else?

You're on a wind up, right :D

Absolutely not and I can't believe that you are not taking me seriously. The police are bogged down with paperwork (sorry pun not intended) and that makes you hungry. They can only pop into fast food premises for their lunch etc. where they justifyably get consessions. Poor buggers. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there a Police "Neighbourhood Team" you could contact?

Nigel

They're probably on a survival weekend in the Peak District - babysitting the Youth Action Team and building a raft with the Racial Diversity Team!!!! :D:D:D