I'm so neurotic

India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll probably get loads of stick for this post .:o

Sometimes the love I have for my pets , absolutely overwhelms me. Some days I can't even "enjoy" them, as I worry constantly about something happening to them. If I go out, I have to have someone babysit them. I'm constantly looking for ways to improve their diet etc.

It's got worse over the last year, as we lost 2 dear little boys (guineas) who were loved very much. I still take their ashes to bed with me. And I'm still devastated.

My vet is sick of the sight of me, as I take my animals there for any little twinge. If one of my dogs vomits...I'm on the phone , ready to get an appointment. Once I took one of my dogs because I could feel something under his skin and was scared he'd got something stuck. It turned out to be his micro chip :o.

I sound like an idiot, and yet I'm in my 40s, and have brought up a daughter alone. I know that it probably isn't healthy to obsess so much. Some nights I sit there and cry as I don't know how I'd cope if anything bad happened to them.

I guess I'm hoping that someone else will tell me they feel the same. That it's pretty normal. Or am I a lost cause?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    We all love our pets and quite a few people take their dead loved pets ashes to bed with them.

It sounds like to me you need grief counselling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Well firstly I think when we care/love our pets very much, worrying over them is part of the process. I can understand where you are coming from totally as I have done the same thing. Been concerned and got upset and turned out there was no reason to be after all. But at least we care.

As long as you take your animals for their annual check ups,and keep an eye on them the best you can, that is all anyone can ask and you are doing everything right.

It sounds as if you are grieving still for your piggies, which is okay.... you maybe blame yourself and at the moment you are stuck with those thoughts and think by watching every single move your other animals make you can somehow protect them/need to protect them more....

When it comes to the point when this upset and worry is effecting you thoughts to the point when you cry with worry and it affects you every day life (taking ashes to bed) that is the point where you need to maybe sit down and consider everything and perhaps try and make a change, writing this thread, and admitting you may have an issue is a step forward.

Do you think it would help to speak to someone about your concerns/thoughts/actions, such as a GP or someone else? Have you maybe already spoken to someone, a family member, a friend etc and has it helped in anyway?
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you've both hit the nail on the head. I'm still grieving.

I should have said..I'm bipolar. So when I crash down, I really get bad.
    My two little boys died within months of each other. One I got out for his evening run and he just wasn't moving much. They were both indoor piggies, and I was constantly checking on them during the day and he seemed fine. He died 5 minutes later in my arms. It was such a shock.
    The other had an operation for his teeth and I hand fed him every 3 hours for a week. But he just gave up. I was stroking his head as he passed away.
    I still keep seeing their little faces and wondering if there was something more I could have done.

Maybe I will mention this to my psychiatrist on my next appointment.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    India_Rain wrote: »
    I think you've both hit the nail on the head. I'm still grieving.

I should have said..I'm bipolar. So when I crash down, I really get bad.
    My two little boys died within months of each other. One I got out for his evening run and he just wasn't moving much. They were both indoor piggies, and I was constantly checking on them during the day and he seemed fine. He died 5 minutes later in my arms. It was such a shock.
    The other had an operation for his teeth and I hand fed him every 3 hours for a week. But he just gave up. I was stroking his head as he passed away.
    I still keep seeing their little faces and wondering if there was something more I could have done.

Maybe I will mention this to my psychiatrist on my next appointment.

You are a very good care giver. I must admit I do check my Impossible Princess daily and brush her fur and get the goose grass seeds out in the autumn.

We do see the faces of our pets who have died. That is how we remember the happy times we had with them and how lucky we are to have animals in our lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    It really does sound as if you have had a lot to deal with :(

Losing a loved pet is never easy, but you posts strike me as if you care for your pets very much and did everything you possibly could.

I'm sure you have many happy memories of your piggies, I know I do of past pets and I will forget them.

I'm glad you are considering mentioning these thoughts at your next meeting, it sounds like a good idea :)
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both :)

I think today, I'm just having a "poor me" moment. Christmas was hard, as one of my boys was born on Christmas day, so we also used to celebrate that. It seems weird to go into the new year with 2 less members of my family.

I must remember though, that I still have 3 more "babies" who need my full attention. Can't give them that if I'm being miserable.
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to give you a ((hug)) and I'm sorry you are still missing your guineas. It sounds like you did everything you could and more for them so please don't feel guilty!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say much more than has already been said but just wanted to add I would prefer to be a pet owned by you than many other people I know !