Options

How I Met Your Mother

Comments

• Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I've pretty much given up on this show and have only watched about 4 episodes of the new season. I did watch the most recent one, purely cos I heard it was another Robin Sparkles one but it wasn't very good at all, which really disappointed me cos I loved the other Robin Sparkles episodes. I've thought that Marshall and Lily were the best characters for many seasons now but they've become increasingly annoying. Even when they reveal big details about the Mother I find myself not really caring, cos its just been dragged out for far too long now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I like How I Met Your Mother, but I do know where the OP is coming from. The ''search for the mother'' narrative started out fresh and original, but is now annoyingly drawn-out, and I do feel the characters are sometimes nasty to each other in a way that makes them unlikeable. That said, I think you have to watch the show for a while before you really start to enjoy it - once you become more familiar with some of the running jokes and stuff, it becomes funnier. It reminds me a little of Seinfeld in that way, although it's nowhere near as well-written as Seinfeld. In a way I feel like it's a cross between Seinfeld and Friends - but less smart and sharp than Seinfeld, and less warm than Friends.
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally enjoy this show but last nights episode was dire,aside from a couple things "The Captain" came out with.I'll watch it too the bitter end but its becoming a chore,even Barney is annoying me and I never thought I say that.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dar W wrote: »
    I normally enjoy this show but last nights episode was dire,aside from a couple things "The Captain" came out with.I'll watch it too the bitter end but its becoming a chore,even Barney is annoying me and I never thought I say that.

Really sad to see the show in such decline. It used to be one of my favourite comedies ever but now I'm just watching out of loyalty and stubbornness.

This week's US episode was mostly a waste of time (and time travelling). The only highlight was the brief reappearance of the lovely Jayma Mays.
  • Options
    mercykatemercykate Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Really sad to see the show in such decline. It used to be one of my favourite comedies ever but now I'm just watching out of loyalty and stubbornness.

This week's US episode was mostly a waste of time (and time travelling). The only highlight was the brief reappearance of the lovely Jayma Mays.

I could be being stupid but did you understand the latest episode? what the hell was that about at then end! totally boggled me and i normally like the little episode twists!
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    mercykate wrote: »
    I could be being stupid but did you understand the latest episode? what the hell was that about at then end! totally boggled me and i normally like the little episode twists!

I thought it was a terrific episode. Ted was basically on his own in the bar, fantasising about the hijinks him and his friends used to get up to. But at the end it turned out that Marshall and Lily were upstairs with their son, and Robin and Barney were at home planning their wedding. Ted's decision whether or not to watch Robots vs Wrestlers - which used to be the thing the gang did every year - was actually whether or not to continue the tradition by going on his own, It was basically his darkest moment, but his future self knows that in 45 days he would meet the love of his life.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I agree, it's bad. It tries to be unique with the whole 'who is the mother?' angle, when really, it is just shamefully ripping off 15 year old stories from friends, only with worse writing and bad acting. The whole Barney 'bro' thing gets really tiresome as well, it isn't believable or funny, and just feels so 90's. Ted Mosby has to be on of the blandest sitcom characters ever created, oh, and I hate how it seems to go out of its way to be inoffensive- that really bothers me :p
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I agree, it's bad. It tries to be unique with the whole 'who is the mother?' angle, when really, it is just shamefully ripping off 15 year old stories from friends, only with worse writing and bad acting. The whole Barney 'bro' thing gets really tiresome as well, it isn't believable or funny, and just feels so 90's. Ted Mosby has to be on of the blandest sitcom characters ever created, oh, and I hate how it seems to go out of its way to be inoffensive- that really bothers me :p

That doesn't really make any sense regarding Friends. Ripping off of Friends? Honestly, I've got no idea why anybody would even make that claim, strange.

Caught up now and the most recent episode was brilliant. Quite interested to see how the final season will eventually pan out and still a touch worried that Monday's episode was an indicator to what happens to the mother, though that really could swing either way.
  • Options
    mercykatemercykate Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a terrific episode. Ted was basically on his own in the bar, fantasising about the hijinks him and his friends used to get up to. But at the end it turned out that Marshall and Lily were upstairs with their son, and Robin and Barney were at home planning their wedding. Ted's decision whether or not to watch Robots vs Wrestlers - which used to be the thing the gang did every year - was actually whether or not to continue the tradition by going on his own, It was basically his darkest moment, but his future self knows that in 45 days he would meet the love of his life.

Ahh that actually sounds really sweet, i think i should rewatch it, i was multitasking when i watched it! Thanks :)
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with US pace, because I know if they do reveal the mother in the season finale I won't be able to keep away from spoilers. The second to last episode made me sad that Ted and Robin will never be together, they were so great in the park scenes. Instead I think this will just be the one last push they both need to get what/who they really want, Barney and the mother.

There's definitely been some improvement from where E4 are currently at which is good, and I'm looking forward to next season as they know it's the final one which should give the show the kick up the arse it needs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Just found out that Robin was going to be the mother had the show lasted past Season 1!

Love this show, and while I am watching UK pace, I know what happens (cannot stay away from the spoilers) so looking forward to finding out what happens in the season finale tomorrow!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Just found out that Robin was going to be the mother had the show lasted past Season 1!
    Didn't you mean "had the show not lasted past Seasonn 1"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They showed us the mother! (For 5 seconds.) Never heard of the actress before but I think she's the right fit, she looks like she could be the kids' mum, and she seems like the type of woman Ted would go for.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, one of my favourites in a while, I always love it when Ted and Lily share scenes alone. I think they have the best friendship out of the group, they are always honest with each other.

So my Ted/Robin dreams have been crushed once and for all (I know I should have given up at the pilot) but I'm still interested in how the locket thing plays out. As for next season the writers have said it will be unlike any other season. I kind of hope they show all the key moments in Ted and the mother's lives up to the time he tells the story, like each episode will be set in a different month/year showing their first date and such.

Edit: The more I think about the casting the more I love it, we'll have to wait and see about her acting and how they write her but at this moment I'm struggling to think how they could have cast the mother better.

One final edit (I'm tired hence the overexcitement): This review pretty much sums up everything I feel about Ted and his story and I couldn't agree with it more so I'd thought I'd share. http://www.avclub.com/articles/something-new,97540/
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    She did seem to fit the role of the mother perfectly in that 5 second scene. I'm glad that Ted will finally be able to move on from Robin
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a fairly crappy season (with the occasional decent episode) but I did enjoy the finale.

Interesting that they have gone for a relatively unknown actress to play the mother. She's been in a few things but nothing that I can remember her from: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2129662/

Assuming the next season is the final one then at least we aren't going to have to wait until the last moment for the reveal. With the mother now "met", the show can take on a different path with some new ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like next season could be the set over the weekend of the wedding. http://t.co/s0UmcBGQY4 This could backfire quite badly, unless it gets announced that it's a shortened season. Yes, it's the kind of storytelling the show excels at but it's grown tired through overuse and a whole season of it could be grating.
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    The mother definitely looks like the type of woman Ted would go for so it was a great choice!

Loved the Lily/Ted scenes and the flashback to Robin being depressed about Ted marrying Stella that was well done. I have to agree with you guestofseth I think Lily and Ted have the best friendship she always gives him the best advice even if she does meddle a lot she has his best interests at heart!

Looking forward to next season and to see what happens next. I was actually thinking "what happened to Marshall wanting to be a judge" so was nice to see that news pop up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was rather disappointed with the reveal. After 8 years it was so low key. Her first scene should have been when Ted met her. Or maybe an episode with lots of new characters where we would wonder which was the mother until it was revealed.

I thought they would cast a relative unknown so I was correct about that. After the huge build-up, Cristin Milioti doesn't seem that special. She's not amazingly gorgeous and we didn't see anything of her personality to make her instantly likeable.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is she really the mother?

I can't believe they've finally shown her, and in such a low key way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    checkmate wrote: »
    I was rather disappointed with the reveal. After 8 years it was so low key. Her first scene should have been when Ted met her. Or maybe an episode with lots of new characters where we would wonder which was the mother until it was revealed.

I thought they would cast a relative unknown so I was correct about that. After the huge build-up, Cristin Milioti doesn't seem that special. She's not amazingly gorgeous and we didn't see anything of her personality to make her instantly likeable.

She is a musical theatre actress, starred in the Tony Award winning Once. So she fits the bill in terms of the musical side of the mother.

Not seen the episode but the reveal has been put online and I watched it and I loved it. I think it was a very fitting scene as the main cast obviously have huge changes coming in their lives and then there is the reveal of the mother, who as we all know, is going change Ted's life even more. And I felt like the scene reflected that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't you mean "had the show not lasted past Seasonn 1"?

Sorry, yeah that is what I meant. Had my three year old annoying me at the time, so didn't check!
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was low key, it's left us wanting to know more about her. Now we've seen her we have the anticipation of her meeting Ted and co. If we'd seen them meet in this ep then there would be no enticement to keep watching next year. It was the right decision.

The only thing that ruined the episode for me was the continual plot of Ted moping over Robin, I mean seriously she isn't that special and we've been there a billion times before. I would rather see Ted being really happy for his friends and I had hoped he wouldn't meet The Girl with The Umberella on the rebound.

"Hey Kids I was so upset that the love of my life married my best friend, that I shacked up with your mother to get over it"

Hardly the basis of a romantic relationship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They showed us the mother! (For 5 seconds.) Never heard of the actress before but I think she's the right fit, she looks like she could be the kids' mum, and she seems like the type of woman Ted would go for.

she looks like a cross between lily and robin!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    checkmate wrote: »

Ted is hardly amazingly gorgeous, so it's not like his wife needs to be. We already know quite a bit about the mother's personality and we know that she's a really good match for Ted.

I like that it was quite low key and away from Ted. Knowing that she is on her way to the wedding where she will meet him is good enough for me. At least we have their reaction to meeting each other to look forward to.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What will the last ever scene be?

Will it be Ted and the woman looking across a room at each other?