Options

What's your favourite late career album?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Diamond '12 Songs'
    Brian Eno 'Another Day on Earth'
    Kate Bush '50 Words for Snow'
    AC/DC 'Black Ice'
    Mary Chapin Carpenter 'Ashes and Roses'
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    As late career albums go, Brian Wilsons Smile is pretty good.

Does it really count, though? It was essentially a recreation of what the Beach Boys' "Smile" album would have been if it hadn't been abandoned almost 40 years before.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    These aren't really old bands but are late career albums so I liked:
    I'm With You - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Butterfly House - The Coral
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aztec Camera - Frestonia
    Bevis Frond - Leaving Of London
    Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
    Stereolab - Cobra & Phases Group..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyleee wrote: »
    Kylie X - i know it didnt fare v well commercially but its my fave kylie album...a little gem

Sold 420'000 copies in the UK.

More than Cheryl's/J Lo's/ Mariah's/Madonna's last solo UK albums. :)
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    Sold 420'000 copies in the UK.

More than Cheryl's/J Lo's/ Mariah's/Madonna's last solo UK albums. :)

yet, madonna's last album, her biggest flop in her career still outsold that album worldwide by a comfortable margin.;) however, it would have been fairer to compare the other artists albums around 2007/2008 though, but of course madonna and mariah completely eclipsed the worldwide sales of "x" with "hard candy" and "E=MC²".:D

you could suggest that these comparisons are equally unfair due to madonna and mariah's more international statuses, but kylie heavily promoted that album here in the uk (like she does with all her releases with the uk being her most successful territory) and she even had a tv special to promote that record.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1

A lifelong favourite album of mine. The group members ranged from late 30s (Tom Petty) to their 50s (Roy Orbison).
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1

A lifelong favourite album of mine. The group members ranged from late 30s (Tom Petty) to their 50s (Roy Orbison).

Oh yes, that reminds me - The ELO "Mr Blue Sky" compilation from last year with all the big hits re-recorded by Jeff Lynne. Very good indeed (but possibly a bit of a cheat for this thread since they're old songs re-worked :-)
  • Options
    LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Crowded House's Time On Earth is a brilliant album and a great comeback.

Also, I know she's still only in her 30's but Melanie C's 5th album The Sea is excellent, one of her best. Such a shame people didn't seem to bother with her much after her debut album as I think she just got better and better with each subsequent album (not counting Stages as that's an album of showtune covers, not original songs). The Sea is probably her best album, imo! Some amazing songs on it!

I completely agree with you regarding Melanie C - I love all her albums can't really decide on a favourite though:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Waits - Alice
    Tom Waits - Blood Money
    Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (provided I ignore the song featuring Elton John)
    PJ Harvey - White Chalk
    PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
    Glen Campbell - Ghost On The Canvas
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Also, I know she's still only in her 30's but Melanie C's 5th album The Sea is excellent, one of her best. Such a shame people didn't seem to bother with her much after her debut album as I think she just got better and better with each subsequent album (not counting Stages as that's an album of showtune covers, not original songs). The Sea is probably her best album, imo! Some amazing songs on it!

The Sea is a fantastic album from beginning to end, i love how it all flows and definatley has some of the best songs of her career so far, Drown is my favorite track from her, period.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Bush's Aerial was outstanding and completely cemented her as the greatest British female singer/songwriter.

Tori Amos 'Night Of Hunters' is also I believe the best since her 90's output.
    I love you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Madonna's Confessions On a Dancefloor is epic, she was in her late 40's when it came out.

Have to agree with this. I think it's her best album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Duran Duran's last album, All You Need Is Now was produced by Mark Ronson. It has some great tracks.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    u2- How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    u2- How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Yeah, over 25 years into their career and U2 produce a Grammy winning album (9). Of course, there's always the next album due soon!
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrecking Ball by The Boss, back on form after a few so so albums.