‘CONAN’ – Monday to Thursday at 11pm from 4th August on TruTV

Comments

• montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think Comic-Con is next week...so we should be able to see them before TruTV pulls the plug on the show (assuming they do).

Phew. Cheers!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    That's not a rumour, Corden confirmed it. Sky1 will have the rights to his US talk show. What's not been confirmed is when it starts airing. I imagine all the details will have been discussed with Sky since Corden's over here in the UK filming A League Of Their Own for Sky1.

Thanks. I did see a news article quoting Corden saying Sky 1 had picked up the rights, but I also saw other news articles with the exact same quote but saying it was from a source close to Corden, so I wasn’t sure. He also hasn’t mentioned anywhere publically as far as I know (not even on his twitter). But I’m still assuming there’s truth to it.

As for when Sky 1 will start broadcasting it, I’d say a good bet would be September. The Late Show with Stephen Colbert premiers in September on CBS which will get a lot of publicity, so I’d image The Late Late Show with James Corden will want to capitalise on the back of that with some big shows – making it the ideal time for Sky 1 to start broadcasting it.

Back to Conan... I’m still hoping the Conan POP Vinyl toys will be at least available to order in the UK...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the Comic-Con episodes being aired in the UK this week? On TruTV or TCM?

He had the cast of The Hunger Games, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, XMen: Apocolypse and Dr Who (Peter Capaldi only) on his show.

I've watched the YT clips but they're just so damn short.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the Comic-Con episodes being aired in the UK this week? On TruTV or TCM?

He had the cast of The Hunger Games, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, XMen: Apocolypse and Dr Who (Peter Capaldi only) on his show.

I've watched the YT clips but they're just so damn short.

TruTV air Conan on a 2 show delay, so the 4 comic con shows should air from tonight.

HOWEVER, there are new shows in the US this week so I'm not sure what TruTV are going to do as the Friday and Saturday comic con shows were effectivly 'bonus shows' that won't fit into TruTVs schedule. They are either going to have to skip 2 shows, add 2 shows to their schedule (no sign of this in the EPG) or start airing it on a 4 show delay.

Maybe someone with a twitter account can ask them what their plans are?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Watched an episode last night. I don't usually watch.

I can't stand the amount of audience cheering he allows. They could have another 5 minutes of interview time if he cut it down or it was edited out.

I must say that in that regard, Corden has struck the right balance. Lets them cheer but not for too long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Watched an episode last night. I don't usually watch.

I can't stand the amount of audience cheering he allows. They could have another 5 minutes of interview time if he cut it down or it was edited out.

I must say that in that regard, Corden has struck the right balance. Lets them cheer but not for too long.

Conan does allow more audience applause than most, but this week is an extreme example of that as he’s at Comic-Con. There’s always more applause from the audience when he takes the show on the road.
    Conan might not have the most fans of all the late night hosts, but I think he has the most fanatical fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It’s now confirmed, next week will be the final week TruTV airs Conan. The final broadcast will be Thurs 30th July, and from Mon 3rd of August it will be replaced by an episode of Crime Stories – which will be part of 9 hour (!) back to back block of the programme every night (midnight to 9am).

However... it appears to continue on TCM for the w/c 3rd August! I’m not sure if that’s a mistake or not (as both TruTV and TCM are owned by the same people, so presumably have been sharing the same contract)...
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    It’s now confirmed, next week will be the final week TruTV airs Conan. The final broadcast will be Thurs 30th July, and from Mon 3rd of August it will be replaced by an episode of Crime Stories – which will be part of 9 hour (!) back to back block of the programme every night (midnight to 9am).

However... it appears to continue on TCM for the w/c 3rd August! I’m not sure if that’s a mistake or not (as both TruTV and TCM are owned by the same people, so presumably have been sharing the same contract)...

Well, you can hardly say it was a surprise, but it's a shame nonetheless. Another US late night show crashes and burns in the UK.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tru TV as a whole seems to have crashed and burned in the UK. The ratings are very low for a Freeview channel. The old crime-related shows (from when the channel was known as Court TV in the US) seem to be the only thing pulling in an audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, you can hardly say it was a surprise, but it's a shame nonetheless. Another US late night show crashes and burns in the UK.

Well at least we've still got Jimmy Fallon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And Last Week Tonight with John Oliver too (which admittedly isn’t a talk show, but I include it in the ‘late night’ family).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just can't take to Jimmy Fallon I'm afraid. Maybe it's his overly fawning style, his all consuming niceness, or maybe it's a relic of my Tonight Show disdain and preference for Letterman...whatever it is, Fallon is not for me.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just can't take to Jimmy Fallon I'm afraid. Maybe it's his overly fawning style, his all consuming niceness, or maybe it's a relic of my Tonight Show disdain and preference for Letterman...whatever it is, Fallon is not for me.

I feel the same. He is so awkward interviewing the guests and his jokes are not as funny as he thinks they are.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, it was nice while it lasted. I might as well delete Tru TV from my channel list now as there isn't anything else worth watching on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel the same. He is so awkward interviewing the guests and his jokes are not as funny as he thinks they are.

I agree with both your points about Fallon, but you get used to it after a while. I certainly have. If he has good guests on it doesn't matter, but it would be nice if he let them speak as he does seem to take over conversation sometimes and they don't get to finish what they were saying. That laugh of his however is annoying. Sometimes he laughs at the tiniest thing which doesn't even deserve a laugh.

Back to Conan. It's a shame. Anyone know who his guests are for the final week we get to see him next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Back to Conan. It's a shame. Anyone know who his guests are for the final week we get to see him next week.

Unfortunately the final week of shows are reruns as he’s on hiatus in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately the final week of shows are reruns as he’s on hiatus in the US.

Oh well, TruTV timed it just right to drop the show. Goodbye Conan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, TruTV timed it just right to drop the show. Goodbye Conan.

It’s only a 2 week hiatus, new shows return next week I think, so I’ll go back to watching it online.
    It’s a shame the official website is so ‘clunky’ (for me anyway, in all browsers) and the YouTube clips now have a bit on the end with Conan telling you to subscribe (which is annoying if you watch multiple clips with continuous playback).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCM are still showing Conan every night (sometimes 1 episode, but usually more) at around 2am – but I can’t work out whether they are new or old episodes! My guess would be they are old episodes simply because I can’t believe the owners of TruTV/TCM will have renewed their contract with the show (and continue to receive and edit it every day) to only to show it at 2am on TCM each night.

There are new shows this week in the US – show numbers 5763 to 5766.

This week, according to DigiGuide, TCM are broadcasting shows in the region of 5750, 5751, 5752 etc.
    Then next week they are broadcasting shows in the region of 5771, 5773 etc – which will be AHEAD of the US shows (so obviously a mistake!).

Anyone have any idea what TCM are doing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCM are still showing Conan every night (sometimes 1 episode, but usually more) at around 2am – but I can’t work out whether they are new or old episodes! My guess would be they are old episodes simply because I can’t believe the owners of TruTV/TCM will have renewed their contract with the show (and continue to receive and edit it every day) to only to show it at 2am on TCM each night.

There are new shows this week in the US – show numbers 5763 to 5766.

This week, according to DigiGuide, TCM are broadcasting shows in the region of 5750, 5751, 5752 etc.
    Then next week they are broadcasting shows in the region of 5771, 5773 etc – which will be AHEAD of the US shows (so obviously a mistake!).

Anyone have any idea what TCM are doing?

I was going to ask the very same question - perhaps there's hope for Conan fans after all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to ask the very same question - perhaps there's hope for Conan fans after all?

I watched last week’s shows online. I’ve yet to see a ‘new’ show on TCM since TruTV dropped it, but that could just be a TCM delay, it’s still in their schedules for the next two weeks at least so who knows...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conan is still airing on TMC UK – anyone figured out if they are new or old episodes (although its on reruns this week in the US).
  • abwabw Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Conan is still airing on TMC UK – anyone figured out if they are new or old episodes (although its on reruns this week in the US).

Assuming you mean TCM UK, it does not appear to be on at all for at least the next two weeks.
    http://mydigiguide.com/tv-guide/tv.dll?h=1&a=2&dt=55e89562&ch=24
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abw wrote: »
    Assuming you mean TCM UK, it does not appear to be on at all for at least the next two weeks.
    http://mydigiguide.com/tv-guide/tv.dll?h=1&a=2&dt=55e89562&ch=24

Indeed, the last airings were earlier this week, maybe that's it now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread hasn’t had much activity recently, not surprising given Conan is no longer on UK television, but having watched the ‘Conan in Korea’ special this week I thought it deserved a bump.

Conan’s other recent trips abroad with the show (Cuba, Armenia, and Qatar) have been enjoyable (and received very good ratings), but for me this week’s ‘Conan in Korea’ was probably the best so far.
    I really recommend the clips on YouTube if you can’t source the entire episode, and if you only watch one clip I recommend this one. Conan is allowed to cross the ‘border’ and become one of very few Americans to technically broadcast from North Korea. Fascinating, interesting, and very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46Ez-Igc9E