Turkey Farmer Bernard Matthews dies aged 80.

Comments

• ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bird flu...
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BM had Alzheimers, which must have been very distressing for all the family. However, there must have been a more serious problem because the weight had simply fallen off him in recent years and he was a shadow of his former self last time he was seen in public.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I agree. Perhaps people who claim he was convicted of several animal cruelty cases would care to show us the evidence.

There was a case a couple of years ago where 2 employees DID abuse turkeys (and it was well publicised) and they were convicted. There are always a few bad apples in any organisation!

I was recently at a BM farm and there were thousands of Turkeys wandering around OUTSIDE in the fields in the autumn sunshine. They could go in and out of the barns as they chose.

I think you would be very hard pushed to find people who have been employed by BM who have a bad word to say about him. Many of his staff have worked there for decades and he really does look after his staff and families.

I think it's very cruel to speak ill of the dead too. He was an old, frail man.

So, because it was an "Employee" it absolves him of his moral responsibility? To hide behind workers in these circumstances makes it even worse.

Just because you saw the more expensive line of products wandering around a field (hardly the natural habitat of the turkey), you assume that all the the birds from Bernard Matthews are free range? I guess you weren't shown the batteries then, where the birds are kept in cages, or the barns where they are crammed so tight, they start fighting each other, killing their opponents and then leaving the dead to rot on the floor.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BM had Alzheimers, which must have been very distressing for all the family. However, there must have been a more serious problem because the weight had simply fallen off him in recent years and he was a shadow of his former self last time he was seen in public.

Alzheimers can be a terribly debilitating illness all 'round. It can serioulsy affect organ function in it's later stages.

You're right - it must have been an awful strain on Mr Matthews' family - and despite some of the nastier comments on here, no right-minded person would say that old Bernard deserved to die like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    It might be if there was a scap of evidence for a single one of these allegations. Post a link, Flyboy. It doesn't negate his good points, but I am willing to admit there are things I don't know about him, especially if you can show me. None of those things carry a capital punishment in UK of course....

Yes, because there are loads of links relating to my experiences as an apprentice and about animal rights protest in Norfolk in the seventies and eighties. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Yes, because there are loads of links relating to my experiences as an apprentice and about animal rights protest in Norfolk in the seventies and eighties. :rolleyes:

So you could be making it up then?

You should watch that. Some people might take what you post on here at face value. Others might not of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Aside from a minority of smelly damp new age travellers, Islington bicycle-riding veggies and the odd soppy f****r, nobody really gives a toss about turkey welfare.

All most people want is affordable food that you can cook without too much effort and tastes fine with a bit of ketchup or gravy.

That's why Bernard Matthews' foodstuffs were/are so popular and why he made himself a very rich man.

Except the law of course. :rolleyes:

I am not a new age traveller, I don't live in Islington, I do ride a bicycle, but so do millions of others and I am not a soppy old, whatever you have pretend to write. I am a vegetarian, but I can't see why that is an insult to be honest and there are quote a few more who care about the welfare of all animals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member

You're sailing close to the wind, you have given no proof, it could be vitriol or could be construed as slander, get ready for the lock.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could certainly have a go at backing up claims about "his many convictions for abuse towards animals and poor hygiene" and your assertion of "don't forget he was a philanderer as well. Several affairs and illegitimate children, who he denied existed."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all my gran was a size 18. Then she got Alzhiemers and she is now just skin and bones, in the space of a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except the law of course. :rolleyes:

I am not a new age traveller, I don't live in Islington, I do ride a bicycle, but so do millions of others and I am not a soppy old, whatever you have pretend to write. I am a vegetarian, but I can't see why that is an insult to be honest and there are quote a few more who care about the welfare of all animals.

You go ahead an enjoy your mung bean sandwiches then.

Perhaps your brain has been adversely affected by lack of some sort of nourishment that you choose to so enthusiastically celebrate the horrible death of an innocent old man. Or maybe you're just that sort of person. The readers on here will have to judge for themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    So you could be making it up then?

You should watch that. Some people might take what you post on here at face value. Others might not of course.

You know what, I don't really give a stuff if you believe me or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're sailing close to the wind, you have given no proof, it could be vitriol or could be construed as slander, get ready for the lock.

Call his lawyers, I am sure they want a good laugh. :rolleyes:

P.S. The dead can not be "slandered."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what, I don't really give a stuff if you believe me or not.

Perhaps there are more suitable sites out there for your stories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such as what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find most hypocritical, is many of the ones here who are having a go at those who are as sorry that he is dead, the ones who write things like, "you shouldn't speak ill of the dead," or "no matter what he has done, he deserves compassion and respect," are the same people who denied that same compassion and respect for the guy was electrocuted attempting to steal copper wiring. Where is your compassion and respect now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Flyboy - you couldn't show us the evidence then could you?
    I agree. Perhaps people who claim he was convicted of several animal cruelty cases would care to show us the evidence. There was a case a couple of years ago where 2 employees DID abuse turkeys (and it was well publicised) and they were convicted. There are always a few bad apples in any organisation!

I think it's very cruel to speak ill of the dead too. He was an old, frail man.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have no respect for a man that had no care for welfare. I feel for his family of course, but I would not shed a tear for that man and his intensive farming practices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that the morons employed and contractors used by the firm had abused animals. I remember the uproar about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/6769111.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find most hypocritical, is many of the ones here who are having a go at those who are as sorry that he is dead, the ones who write things like, "you shouldn't speak ill of the dead," or "no matter what he has done, he deserves compassion and respect," are the same people who denied that same compassion and respect for the guy was electrocuted attempting to steal copper wiring. Where is your compassion and respect now?

Personally I have no idea what you're on about but I do know that it's very common for people to go off at tangents and introduce other topics when they know they are losing the argument!

You are saying that the late Bernard Matthews was convicted of several animal cruelty cases. You cannot provide us with any evidence though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that the morons employed and contractors used by the firm had abused animals. I remember the uproar about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/6769111.stm

You're right and that's already been pointed out.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I have no respect for a man that had no care for welfare. I feel for his family of course, but I would not shed a tear for that man and his intensive farming practices.

Nobody has demanded a day of national mourning for him. Merely expressed indignation at the callous and arrogant 'I'm glad he's dead' brigade. You have stopped short of that, whilst expressing your perfectly valid point of view that he did little or nothing to promote animal welfare. He did a lot to promote cheap food, and was a man of his time. Back in the 60's and 70's you'd have a job to find anyone who gave a toss about factory farming. I am not sitting here weeping for him either, but neither would I express gratitude over his death, nor anyone else's death barring the odd mass murderer. It's utterly disgusting to do so. Even if you think it, it's one of those things that no decent person would say in public. I am quite shocked at FB and RM, it has shed a whole new light on them for me.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »

This, it's sad a man has died obviously, but i wish his company would die with him, animal cruelty and all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Personally I have no idea what you're on about but I do know that it's very common for people to go off at tangents and introduce other topics when they know they are losing the argument!You are saying that the late Bernard Matthews was convicted of several animal cruelty cases. You cannot provide us with any evidence though.

Yep, it took him 5 pages till he came up with his 'story' :rolleyes:

1st time I have ever used rolly eyes, and I don't feel bad :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right and that's already been pointed out.

Never heard the old man had any knowledge or played a hand in it though.

He probably did not have a clue what was happening on the shop floor, a lot of DMs in big companies do not, until the shit hits the fan.

Maybe some believe as the head of company he should take responsibility and have had a more hands on approach monitoring what was happening within his empire.

I'm not sure it is that easy myself but as whenever anyone dies, many are left traumertised.