Internet dropping out

foxydogfoxydog Posts: 423
Forum Member
My internet drops out when the land line is plugged in to the filter on the main but plug. If I unplug the phone the internet works. As soon as I plug the phone back in and pick up the hand set it drops out. There is a lot of crackling one line, I have rung by they say it is the Internet provider and the Internet provider say it is by. Very frustrating any clues?

Comments

• ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you have one of those setups where you pay the line rental to BT and someone else for the broadband? This can lead to both blaming the other and unfortunately one of the drawbacks of having the line rental with a different company for the broadband.

It sounds like you possibly have a high resistance fault, and obviously it needs the right company to deal with it.

Unplug the broadband into the socket. Still crackling? Call BT and insist they send someone to deal with the noisy line. Do not mention the broadband to them. They may say their tests show no fault and threaten to bill you. if it is with your equipment. As long as an engineer is able to replicate the issue, there is nothing to worry about.

If the line sounds clear in the above tests, then you need to call the broadband provider and it will be them that raises a job for Openreach to come and look at what is causing the broadband to drop out.

In both of the above scenarios, you obviously need to rule out faults with your own equipment first by trying spare filters, another router if possibly, another phone before reporting anything.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxydog wrote: »
    My internet drops out when the land line is plugged in to the filter on the main but plug. If I unplug the phone the internet works. As soon as I plug the phone back in and pick up the hand set it drops out. There is a lot of crackling one line, I have rung by they say it is the Internet provider and the Internet provider say it is by. Very frustrating any clues?

There are a number of things that you need to do before involving either your phone or broadband provider. This is necessary to eliminate any fault with your own equipment which could land you with a 130 quid or thereabouts call out charge if the fault is with your kit.

If your master socket is an NTE5 type with the two part face plate remove the lower section to reveal the test socket. This also disconnects any extension cabling you may have so you should be connected only to the incoming BT line and nothing else.

Plug only the phone by itself with no filter into the test socket. If the line is still crackly then try a different phone to check if it is the line or the phone. If there is noise and crackles on the line regardless of what phone you use then chances are it is a line fault.

However if the line is noise free with all the phones you try then it is possible the noise is due to a dodgy extension in your home or something plugged into an extension. That is your responsibility to sort out, hence the charge if you did call out BT for example.

If the test socket is noisy call your phone service provider and tell them that there is noise on voice calls. Fixing that should also cure the broadband.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd change the micro filter in the first instance.
  • foxydogfoxydog Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    There are a number of things that you need to do before involving either your phone or broadband provider. This is necessary to eliminate any fault with your own equipment which could land you with a 130 quid or thereabouts call out charge if the fault is with your kit.

If your master socket is an NTE5 type with the two part face plate remove the lower section to reveal the test socket. This also disconnects any extension cabling you may have so you should be connected only to the incoming BT line and nothing else.

Plug only the phone by itself with no filter into the test socket. If the line is still crackly then try a different phone to check if it is the line or the phone. If there is noise and crackles on the line regardless of what phone you use then chances are it is a line fault.

However if the line is noise free with all the phones you try then it is possible the noise is due to a dodgy extension in your home or something plugged into an extension. That is your responsibility to sort out, hence the charge if you did call out BT for example.

If the test socket is noisy call your phone service provider and tell them that there is noise on voice calls. Fixing that should also cure the broadband.
    My house is 160 years old and I think the socket is about that old too, a square box with the socket central, I have bought a new filter and it is no better, will do the phone call to bt and not mention the Internet, thanks