Anyone recommend paying an Early Termination Fee to get a New Phone & Contract?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
Forum Member
Got two moths left on my current T-Mobile Combi 18 month plan. Paying £35 a month and then paying for Picture Messaging and Internet/Data Use on top of that. My current handset a Sony Ericsson C905 has broken, screen smashed so am struggling to use it.

Was in my local Carphone Warehouse store today and they suggested as I only have two months left on my contract to pay it off early and then be able to upgrade sooner or switch now to another supplier and get a better deal.

Has anyone ever done this before and what would be the pros or cons for it? The obvious one I see is that I'll be overlapping a contract for 2 months and paying double, the 2 months I've settled up on and then the 1st two months of a new contract.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not try and get the T-Mobile contract tariff downgraded to the lowest possible, then keep the contract as well. You are going to be paying for 2 months, might as well have it running.

Then you can also take a new contract out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I've already been onto T Mobile, which is why I'm faced with this option. They won't offer to repair my handset, they won't let me alter my current contract and they won't let me upgrade early.

I've also found that directly dealing with them I'm not going to get the phone and contract I want for the right price at renewal time. Where as Carphone and a couple of other retailers have some really great deals available. I get the impression from T Mobile they don't want me saving money next time round and want me to keep raising my tariff.
  • musicman099musicman099 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may aswell tbh.

It'll be VAT free bringing it to about £30 then I don't know if this is the same for T-Mobile but on Vodafone they deduct 25% meaning it'll be £45 to pay off and then you're free :)
    Forum Member
    Rang up to cancel last night and they wanted £68 from me, which I was happy to pay. But the women still seemed reluctant and instead convinced me she'd ring me on September 1st with an upgrade offer that won't be matched anywhere. I said I'd give her the benefit but if I'm not called on September 1st with a offer and a half, I'll be giving my 30 days notice then.

Think I'd be better off buying a handset and getting a sim only deal in the long term.
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im with 3 and i can change contracts 111 days before my contract is up . think u can do this with most phone companys .
    Forum Member
    Sadly not with T-Mobile, my contract ends 8th October officially, so earliest I can change or upgrade with them is 8th September. Though the lady I spoke to last night says I can ring up 1st September and get a great new deal as a reward for my loyal custom. I'll believe it when I see it,
  • magikmaxmagikmax Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever done this before and what would be the pros or cons for it? The obvious one I see is that I'll be overlapping a contract for 2 months and paying double, the 2 months I've settled up on and then the 1st two months of a new contract.

You've already answered your own question. I've done this too, but only because I 'couldn't wait' to get a new phone. The most I've paid is £100 up front to end an old Orange contract.

It's a total waste of money, there really is no need to do it, but hey ho, it made me happy at the time. If you've got the money to throw away, and you really can't wait, then go ahead.