Options

Advice on buying new laptop

jaanfxjaanfx Posts: 264
Forum Member
I am thinking about buying myself a new laptop and need some advice on which one to purchase.

I have had an Acer Ferrari 1000 for near to 4 years now. It has been doing the job but I have spent around £400 on it through the years.

I am looking for something compact and a very small screen size, but not a Notebook. I hate those things.

I would prefer miinimum 4 gb memory and disk space doesn't matter. Even 100 gb will do.

I don't use CDs so drive for that is not needed.

I require at least 2 usb slots and if possible a memory card slot, but not essential.

My budget is £500 but the cheaper the better.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaanfx wrote: »
    I am thinking about buying myself a new laptop and need some advice on which one to purchase.

I have had an Acer Ferrari 1000 for near to 4 years now. It has been doing the job but I have spent around £400 on it through the years.

I am looking for something compact and a very small screen size, but not a Notebook. I hate those things.

I would prefer miinimum 4 gb memory and disk space doesn't matter. Even 100 gb will do.

I don't use CDs so drive for that is not needed.

I require at least 2 usb slots and if possible a memory card slot, but not essential.

My budget is £500 but the cheaper the better.

Any ideas?
    Dell make good laptops for around £500. The Dell inspiron has good spec ones.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaanfx wrote: »

You mean a netbook...a notebook is a laptop.

Here is a link to some with small screens

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/20/group_test_11in_notebooks/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your happy with the Acer brand -

Acer with 13" screen - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176853
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    The Sony Vaio is a good buy, as are some of the Samsung models. I'm typing this on a Samsung Q210, and it has been a superb little machine.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Sony aren't cheap. What minimum size screen you after? Toshiba do some nice ones with screens under 15''.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Toshiba!
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get a Sony Vaio for £500, I've had one for about 3 yrs, no problems.

I had Toshiba before, 2 to be precise, rubbish imo.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My last laptop was a toshiba and lasted 6 years, it had the best keyboard aswell. Since then I've had a dell inspirion. Was £399, excellent spec and so far 18months trouble free!
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    You can get a Sony Vaio for £500, I've had one for about 3 yrs, no problems.

I had Toshiba before, 2 to be precise, rubbish imo.

Be that as it may but generally most Sony's tend to be the wrong side of £500.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »

Course they can, I agree, but you can still buy a Sony Vaio at £500 today.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my Toshiba is great, but its more high end and too big to take it anywhere. Dont know if Tosh make a compact laptop. I saw a Sony 13in laptop in off-white finish with the right kind of spec inc an i3 processor - very nice looking, but quite expensive. As far as I know all laptops come with a optical drive (CD-DVD burner) as standard. The only stuff that doesnt is the pointless netbooks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Dell make good laptops for around £500. The Dell inspiron has good spec ones.

Dell used to be great, but their tech support is now abismal. I had a Dell for 6 years nwith no probs. Bought a new one about a year ago, hard drive went a few months ago, then the ethernet port. Support was useless, and I now use a wee shop down the road to sort anything out. I won't be buying another one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got an MSI wind U230 from Argos clearance shop on ebay. It's got a 12 inch screen and was £250 - they go for around £400 usually. I would recommend it, my OH is the computing expert and he thought it looked good then went and bought himself one once I'd got it and he had a go on it!!
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msjj wrote: »
    Dell used to be great, but their tech support is now abismal. I had a Dell for 6 years nwith no probs. Bought a new one about a year ago, hard drive went a few months ago, then the ethernet port. Support was useless, and I now use a wee shop down the road to sort anything out. I won't be buying another one

Given the downwards trend in price of Dell products I get the feeling that the quality must be going down hill as well. I managed to pick up a 4 gb ram, 160 gig hard drive, 15" screen dell job for only £329 last year - which I thought was a bargain. However i've not been overly impressed with the performance. Saying that it hasn't had any major breakdowns (though I do look after it and pretty much only surf the web).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toshiba and asus manufacture laptops using good quality parts...for £500 you can pickup a good spec

dell break down after a year or sooner if you are unlucky because they use cheap parts.

sony and samsung - err stop you are paying for the name only..

remember when buying a laptop it is key you understand what you can upgrade the machine should you ever need, if you ask the sales advisor this question they will look puzzled or will have to actually work for the sale.

Memory by which I mean (RAM) and processor are key as this will ensure your laptop runs quickly. These days at a minimum I would only buy 4gb RAM laptops and dual core processors that will keep you going for a few years and handle most things you throw it.

Graphics card - lets not go there, you dont come across as a vivid gamer :)
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xirok1x wrote: »
    toshiba and asus manufacture laptops using good quality parts...for £500 you can pickup a good spec

dell break down after a year or sooner if you are unlucky because they use cheap parts.

sony and samsung - err stop you are paying for the name only..

remember when buying a laptop it is key you understand what you can upgrade the machine should you ever need, if you ask the sales advisor this question they will look puzzled or will have to actually work for the sale.

Memory by which I mean (RAM) and processor are key as this will ensure your laptop runs quickly. These days at a minimum I would only buy 4gb RAM laptops and dual core processors that will keep you going for a few years and handle most things you throw it.

Graphics card - lets not go there, you dont come across as a vivid gamer :)

This post sums it up IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the shops today, i couldnt find the same spec Toshiba as my one. They were all fitted with lesser AMD processor, but were only about £100 cheaper than my i5 from several months ago. When I did find similar spec laptops with i3 and i5 (although made by other people), they were starting at £700 - more than what I paid for my one.

Nearly all laptops now even quite expensive stuff uses the lesser Shared graphics system, rather than a proper graphics card like my one.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »

I've been through a lot of laptops over the years, including several Sony Viaos, and I wouldn't touch them again. Sony put such a lot of extraneous crap on them that it takes about 10 minutes to boot up from a standing start! The spec is good, and Sony were certainly leaders in producing the netbook type of small laptop, but they're seriously overpriced, and I think the build quality of Samsung machines, for example, is much higher for less money. Currently I'm using a Toshiba as my main machine, my second Toshiba, and I'm very happy with it. I also have a Samsung netbook for travelling, which I also like - Samsung have a fast boot from hibernate that's very handy.
  • Options
    ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Toshiba, I've had one for 2+ years with no problems whatsoever (Touch wood :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my last laptop was a Toshiba and thats still going (although very slowly) at over 5 years of age.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if it's worth getting a second hand Mac rather than a pc.

Everyone who has one can't sing their praises enough.

They're still dear second hand though:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had 2 dell laptops and a mini 9 netbook. The laptops lasted a few years. In fact the latest one I got still works, though the screen is a bit dim and the keyboard really needs replacing, and theres a problem with 1 usb port. The oldest one probably still would work as well, the only issue with that was that the hard drive went. Could have fixed that but the laptop was getting a bit slow. :D

The netbook on the other hand died after a year. The drive went. :rolleyes:

So dell laptops do last more than a year in most cases, unless you're really unlucky and get a duff one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if it's worth getting a second hand Mac rather than a pc.

Everyone who has one can't sing their praises enough.

They're still dear second hand though:cry:

They don't devalue much. You really need to find a student though and get a discount through them!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say, another acer, they're good value for money.

But what's wrong with your current one?

Remember, ALWAYS make the recovery DVDs (usually 2), first thing, when you get any computer, before anything else!

The cheapest Toshibas have poor batteries. Doesn't matter if you use it plugged in.

NEVER get an Advent/Emachines, they may be slighlty cheaper, but literally drop to bits very quickly!

Sony seem overpriced.

Don't get an HP or Packard Bell, even if discounted. Because of the tattoo:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2680-packard-bell-recovery-and-master-cd#how-to-re-tattoo

Acers have the notorious "file type error" problem on system recovery (if you need that). You get locked into an endless loop! The solution is simply to run a partition manager directlyy from the optical drive, and reset the recovery partition as "bootup". "Trivial", but not if you don;t know about it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung occassionaly do laptops with a free three year warranty. Mine was from Tesco's.

However my favourite laptop is my IBM X61. 12 inch screen, 6 hour battery life and a pointer stick instead of those hideous touchpads. Used off Ebay, £300.