Nice to Knight you, to Knight me NOT

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
I have to say that i am disgusted that all these so called politicians that rip us off left right and centre as well as corporate leaders that also hike up the bills to give there foreign owned companies more profit get OBE's CBE's etc....

BUT....

Someone that has given his entire life to providing MILLIONS of people in the country with over 5 decades of entertainment has been IGNORED yet again.

Yes i signed the petition to get Brucie a Bonus, oops i mean Gong, and so did many many other people.

Why cant the BRITISH PUBLIC have a PUBLIC CHOICE and vote for who THEY would like to see receive a small reward for all the years hard work they have put in....

Please keep on Subject

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that i am disgusted that all these so called politicians that rip us off left right and centre as well as corporate leaders that also hike up the bills to give there foreign owned companies more profit get OBE's CBE's etc....

BUT....

Someone that has given his entire life to providing MILLIONS of people in the country with over 5 decades of entertainment has been IGNORED yet again.

Yes i signed the petition to get Brucie a Bonus, oops i mean Gong, and so did many many other people.

Why cant the BRITISH PUBLIC have a PUBLIC CHOICE and vote for who THEY would like to see receive a small reward for all the years hard work they have put in....

Please keep on Subject

Bruce hasn't been ignored. He already has a CBE. He hasn't done much since receiving it, apart from a few weeks in Strictly for a vast sum of OUR money. I am glad there are not so many hangers on receiving accolades for what is actually their job and for which they get paid enormous sums of money.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he hasn't been upgraded.
    He is an embarressment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell and David Beckham (especially Victoria) must be feeling sick too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Bruce hasn't been ignored. He already has a CBE. He hasn't done much since receiving it, apart from a few weeks in Strictly for a vast sum of OUR money. I am glad there are not so many hangers on receiving accolades for what is actually their job and for which they get paid enormous sums of money.

What rubbish you talk, he has raised millions over the years for Charity, and continually does work outside of "the few weeks in Strictly"

So you agree that the thieving politicians and corporate greedy pigs should get rewarded for there efforts over someone that has entertained numerous generations of people, and people that no one has ever heard of in the entertainment world ?

And he does not get paid "Enormous" sums for Strictly, he is one of the very FEW who have voluntarily taken a pay cut.

And at the end of the day if some one says to you i will pay you X amount of money to do this why would you turn it down.??????????????????????????
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with Doc Tor Brucie should be knighted if only for all of his charity work. There are far far too many politicians who get honoured for just doing their job. I also agree with another poster who said there should be a public vote so that we can say who we think should be honoured and not just a comittee of a few public servants.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact he hasn't been speaks volumes, and there must be a reason for it. Perhaps the Queen thinks he is as self obsessed and unfunny as I do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Brucie, he needs to stand down before he falls down. He's a rude unpleasant man as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is strange that he hasn't received one as nowadays they are
    awarded for the flimsiest of reasons. Seems like he could have
    upset somebody in the Queen's family though
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When all's said and done entertainers stand or fall in history based on how well-loved and remembered they are after they're gone. The public has no say in the handing out of OBEs, so having one or not having one neither reflects or really impacts public perception of someone.

As for charity, if helping people isn't reward enough for someone and they're hoping for accolades and honours as a result, then it's not really charity, is it?
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    When all's said and done entertainers stand or fall in history based on how well-loved and remembered they are after they're gone. The public has no say in the handing out of OBEs, so having one or not having one neither reflects or really impacts public perception of someone.

As for charity,
    if helping people isn't reward enough for someone and they're hoping for accolades and honours as a result, then it's not really charity, is it?

I`ve seen nothing to suggest Bruce is hoping for or thinks he deserves a Knighthood :confused:

It`s some of the public who think he deserves one.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    I`ve seen nothing to suggest Bruce is hoping for or thinks he deserves a Knighthood :confused:

It`s some of the public who think he deserves one.

I wasn't trying to suggest he did want/feel he deserves one (although I think there were references made to that effect on one of the episodes of HIGNFY he presented), just that people saying he or anyone else deserves one for charity work might be missing the point.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very happy to see Annie Lennox getting an OBE for her sterling charity work. Congrats to her. Well deserved.

I'm trying to care about Brucie and the absence of a knighthood... but it's not happening. Just because he's been around for centuries is not a good enough reason to elevate him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    it has nothing to do with what he feels he needs or wants it is what the public are saying, if it is being mentioned in the press and via a political petition and even mentioned on Wikipedia then surely that must count for something.

At the end of the day why should the public NOT have a say in who they think deserves to be rewarded for many years service in there job.

Employers in some industries reward long service and offer bonuses to staff that perform above and beyond, so why should people that have devoted there lives to entertaining people and raising millions for charity not e offered the same respect.

OR]

Shall we just give to the free-loading politicians that do sweet FA for us
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reckon there is a dark secret in Bruce's past, that the establishment know but he has manged to keep quiet in the public arena.
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    I'm glad he hasn't been upgraded.
    He is an embarressment.

Not half as much as people who can't spell:rolleyes:
    Exactly in what way is he an embarrassment?
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you are absolutely sure that if the public were allowed to vote that Brucie would get a knighthood ??? not so sure myself....I would vote if it guaranteed he wouldnt be on my screens anymore, but I think the sound of Alan Dedicott saying 'please welcome your host SIR Bruce Forsyth' would be too tempting for him to stay for one more series.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched him in a show once - comedy heroes or something I think it was. Every other star who had been on the show picked 5 or 6 of their showbiz heroes, and the clips were that person doing part of their act.

Every clip Bruce picked was of him with that person.

Sums him up, really - it's all about him.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I reckon there is a dark secret in Bruce's past, that the establishment know but he has manged to keep quiet in the public arena.

I'm sure plenty of people with dark secret pasts have received OBEs and CBEs. What do you think Brucie's might be though? He doesn't seem interesting enough to have a dark secret. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far worthier nominees. Why should he receive a knighthood for doing his job?
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the damehood for Angela Lansbury, a career still very much alive surely her CBE form 1994 could be upgraded
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it has nothing to do with what he feels he needs or wants it is what the public are saying, if it is being mentioned in the press and via a political petition and even mentioned on Wikipedia then surely that must count for something.

At the end of the day why should the public NOT have a say in who they think deserves to be rewarded for many years service in there job.

Employers in some industries reward long service and offer bonuses to staff that perform above and beyond, so why should people that have devoted there lives to entertaining people and raising millions for charity not e offered the same respect.

OR]

Do you really think that is a good idea? Wouldn't we then be in danger of someone like Katie Price getting a nod?

It makes no difference to me whether Brucie is knighted or not, although I will say that he has not been entertaining me. I would applaud him for his charity work however.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about all the "normal" people who've done loads of charity work? No OBE for them. It seems like it's only the celebrities that get the OBEs.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Exactly WHAT charity work has Bruce done in recent years???

Even with the so called "voluntary pay cut" he took, he still got nearly HALF A MILLION pounds of licence payers' money for this series of SCD AND he didn't do the results show. As far as a lot of people are concerned he is well over the hill, and should retire gracefully from live presenting now.

Sorry - but as he has already been given at least two honours, one of them being at the level just below a knighthood in 2006 - I for one think that that is more than enough for one person.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,209
    Forum Member
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Where is the damehood for Angela Lansbury, a career still very much alive surely her CBE form 1994 could be upgraded

Quite agree- Angela would be highly deserving of a damehood. I also think it is about time Steve Davis was knighted for his career. This is a sporting legend who contantly gets overlooked for recognition to massage the ego of Beckham(Beckham didn't deserve lifetime achievement at SPOTY)

The problem is there is a lot of snobbery from Cameron and Clegg who are too busy extending their big society agenda to listen to what the wishes of of those who actually do nominate people. I am not saying that the unsung heros do not desevre recognition- but there azre still too many people from bsuiness being honoured
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What about this politician:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Begg