Adele-Skyfall (90 second preview)

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bizzle wrote: »
    It's nice. A lot more like Garbage's The World is Not Enough. Now, imagine this being sung by Lana Del Rey and how infinitely superior it would be.

Exactly what was going through my mind listening to the snippet. Skyfall actually sounds like it was written for Lana (yes I know Adele wrote it) but Lana's voice would have given it that extra kick.
    Such a shame:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Exactly what was going through my mind listening to the snippet. Skyfall actually sounds like it was written for Lana (yes I know Adele wrote it) but Lana's voice would have given it that extra kick.
    Such a shame:mad:
    Extra kick? It would have sounded even more boring with her voice imo.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Adele really is a 1 trick pony . Very boring and bland !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's retro and classy - If it builds to a dramatic finish it's perfect.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Exactly what i thought it would sound like. Stunning

Agreed!!!
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine, exactly as I thought it'd be when I heard Adele was doing it.

Using the famous Bond riff for the main melody is a bit of a cheat though.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds too predictable, almost like a parody of Bond theme songs. In fact, using so much of the classic Bond strings as the backing pretty much removes any kind of unique identity for the song. 'You Know My Name' was brilliant because it was a twist on the theme instead of just a new melody over the top of the old.

If they think they're being 'in' by having Adele singing it then fair enough, but that's not what a Bond theme should be based around.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's better than I was expecting, not too bad. In comparison with the other recent Bond themes, it doesn't have the same impact as "You Know My Name" but it certainly beats "Another Way To Die" by miles!
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds too predictable, almost like a parody of Bond theme songs. In fact, using so much of the classic Bond strings as the backing pretty much removes any kind of unique identity for the song. 'You Know My Name' was brilliant because it was a twist on the theme instead of just a new melody over the top of the old.

If they think they're being 'in' by having Adele singing it then fair enough, but that's not what a Bond theme should be based around.

I'd say they were probably going for someone with a great voice to carry the song rather than just be "in" ... I quite like how it sounds like a classic Bond theme. Whenever they try something new they get criticised for being naff... Then when they try and do classic they get criticised for being boring and not bringing anything to the table. Its a catch 22 I feel. I'm not a major Bond fan to be fair but I have liked Daniel Craig so far and I've always listened to the various Bond themes.
    Lana would have been interesting to listen to as well but I think Adele has done a good job. The song is 5 minutes so I am sure the song builds to a climax. Can't wait to hear the full version
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    Adele really is a 1 trick pony . Very boring and bland !

that expression needs binning along with 'generic'...it's become lazy

how is this song even remotely like Rolling in the deep, or any of her others?

but still 1 trick would be1 more than most have these days
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Extra kick? It would have sounded even more boring with her voice imo.

Lana may have her qualities (mostly lost on me but that's my fault i guess;)) but adding an emotional kick isn't one of them:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana may have her qualities (mostly lost on me but that's my fault i guess;)) but adding an emotional kick isn't one of them:p
    Yeah it's the poor song that's the problem. Someone else singing it wouldn't really improve it imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    SORRY But i disagree with all the bad reviews on here

I think its stunning!! I dont really like adele usually, shes a bit over hyped but i LOVE this song! Instantly catchy. Ive been singing it all morning. So i know its good!

It also sounds like its gonna be epic towards the end
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds a lot like a classic Bond theme. I like.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's the poor song that's the problem. Someone else singing it wouldn't really improve it imo.

Twitter
    @paulepworth: I hear a short excerpt of Skyfall leaked.. I can't wait for everyone to hear the whole thing because Adele's performance is jaw dropping.

So we discuss and judge on a bloody snippet with a quality of 128 kp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    So we discuss and judge on a bloody snippet with a quality of 128 kp.
    The preview gives a strong indication of the music and melody of the song. The rest may sound better but not everyone's going to like it but so what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The preview gives a strong indication of the music and melody of the song. The rest may sound better but not everyone's going to like it but so what?

Let's discuss this on Friday :rolleyes:
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's discuss this on Friday :rolleyes:

Stop ragging on people discussing the preview, 90 seconds is plenty to form discussion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Stop ragging on people discussing the preview, 90 seconds is plenty to form discussion.

Indeed it is, it not like it's going to mutate into say, a country & western song after 91 seconds.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    soundstory wrote: »
    Indeed it is, it not like it's going to mutate into say, a country & western song after 91 seconds.

Not even close, I have it on good authority that the last 3.5 mins is mostly Plan B acting all hard with one of his 'famous' raps. That's the image that 'Ben Drew' in my mind anyway....damn, I've given away my source now :p
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    People calling it boring, I think you misunderstand what most Bond themes do. They are not some catchy Rihanna song playing on Capital - they actually have artistic substance.

WHat if it just is boring? From the preview, nothing really happens..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dynopia wrote: »

I have really a problem with the quality of this snippet. If you hear it on a good entertainent center it sounds flat.
    And I don't believe that Smudged is thinking, I'm ragging on him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have really a problem with the quality of this snippet. If you hear it on a good entertainent center it sounds flat.
    And I don't believe that Smudged is thinking, I'm ragging on him.
    True, I couldn't care less if you don't like my opinion. I doubt the things you've said (too short, bad sound quality) will change my opinion but we'll see when the full song is out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Ive got an amazing entertainment centre and it sounds sublime, slinky, epic, purring. The violins building in at the end of the snippet really bring it life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is something from the Telegraph

A 90-second leak of Adele’s new Bond theme is doing the rounds on the internet. It seems rather unfair to review on this basis, however, since it is just a bit of a verse and a chorus, which starts mid-phrase and ends abruptly.
    Websites hosting it say things like “it has become available to preview”, which is a modern euphemism for "sorry officer, I didn’t realise it was stolen".
    But there is certainly enough here to raise levels of anticipation for fans of both Bond and Adele. It’s a far more traditional Bond theme than we have heard in recent years, a piano ballad with a dramatic chorus and those big, romantic, John Barry strings pulsing beneath while ominous horns swell.
    Adele’s performance, in this short section at least, is more understated than the classic belters from Shirley Bassey (it would be hard not to be) but there’s a warmth and soul in her voice that lends the typically sinister lyrics (“for this is the end / I drowned and dreamt this moment”) a quality of emotional depth they probably don’t actually warrant.
    It is odd to hear Adele in this context. Her calling card has been a kind of untutored authenticity, so the part of Bond chanteuse, with its aura of femme fatale and its very particular musical conventions, doesn’t exactly fit like a velvet glove. Yet she manages to imbue this filmic torch song with something of her own, a sense of personality and heart