Options

San Marino vs England

BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
Forum Member
✭✭
According to Sky the starting line-up is

England team: Hart, Walker, Smalling, Lescott, Baines, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lampard, Cleverley, Young, Rooney, Defoe.

Really down to the bare bones starting Smailling, Lescott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. I think Lescott and The Ox are brilliant players but all three are struggling to start for their own clubs.

Would have preferred Caulker or Taylor over Smailling and I feel they deserve it more too.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Selva is likely to start for us which is great news if we are to get a goal. Hopefully we start as well as the previous game and the smaller pitch should help us keep our legs in the second half.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although England usually beat the minnows convincingly, we don't usually give them a real pasting (8 goals or more) like some other teams have done so in the past.

Would be nice to see us do it tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Meh..
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't read too much into a team selected to play San Marino.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into a team selected to play San Marino.

Exactly, there's nothing wrong with Chris Smalling though, but, with all due respect to San Marino, England could select pretty much anyone in their squad for this match. It's just +1 cap really.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    San Marino will no doubt defend in depth, and try to keep the score down.

Hopefully England can get a few though to boost confidence for the next one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I don't think it will be a massive scoring game. England are usually pretty feeble in these situations. 3-0 I think

I may have to skip ITV pre match punditry. Adrian Chiles trying to make a joke about every San Marino player being a butcher, baker or candlestick maker is going to be awful.
  • Options
    Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iNCY wrote: »
    I don't think it will be a massive scoring game. England are usually pretty feeble in these situations. 3-0 I think

I may have to skip ITV pre match punditry. Adrian Chiles trying to make a joke about every San Marino player being a butcher, baker or candlestick maker is going to be awful.

Yeah, I'm just going to tune in on the actual kick off.

I don't really need or want the pre-match chit-chat - it's unnecessary and a lot of it just inane platitudes from Giles.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are San Marino actually going to keep passing the ball back to England like they did at Wembley or are though going to attempt to retain possession?
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be fun if we could match the 13-0 that Germany managed a few years ago against them (or even beat it!), but I highly doubt that we will get even half of that, I think that we might only score three or four, and then just take the foot off the pedal and coast towards full-time.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I'll support San Marino tonight then, because no one else does.

Poor guys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll support San Marino tonight then, because no one else does.

Poor guys

Hey I'm here :D

Pleased A. Simoncini got over his knock he got at the weekend, were gonna need him a lot I fear.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    They actually have a pretty well-drilled defence these days, compared to further back. On their day they can limit chances on their goal to reasonably low levels (relatively speaking).

But they're obviously always at risk of completely messing things up and letting in 10, etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's only 4 or 5 England score. Depends on how many bodies SM can put on the line when needed.

England are a strong side, but not the most fluent and incisive, so I don't expect double figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm considering anything less than a 5-0 win for England tonight to be a victory for us proud San Marino fans.
  • Options
    Ghost MisguidedGhost Misguided Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the build up to this game has been embarrassing, these reporters acting as if this game is as big as a world cup final, it's bloody san marino, i could pick 10 other men on my street to play san marino and we'd win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing 5 at the back in this game is probably the right decision against such a great team. We need to try and slow the game down and not let the game get too frantic and quick or we'll struggle. Hopefully the English defenders are rusty. Vieni a San Marino :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We'll play 10 at the back. All of them will shout "come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough!" or the Italian translation at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    the build up to this game has been embarrassing, these reporters acting as if this game is as big as a world cup final, it's bloody san marino, i could pick 10 other men on my street to play san marino and we'd win.

I agree with the embarrassment bit. The press and TV build up these games as if its an epic battle. No wonder the players feel the pressure (as they claim)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV being tossers as always :rolleyes: I would love to see how they'd react if we somehow won :D
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    ITV being tossers as always :rolleyes: I would love to see how they'd react if we somehow won :D

Sneering, bullying.... are they trying to out-do Sky? Gray and Keys aren't role models y'know Chiles....
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England should be 2-0 up by the time Eastenders finishes.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest score: Poland 0-2 Ukraine - 8 minutes gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like this guitar solo. Great stuff. San Marino are already 1-0 up in terms of musical embellishment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »

They are demanding that the weaker countries pre-qualify for the right to play the bigger countries, like the mighty England who haven't won an international tournament since before man landed on the Moon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are demanding that the weaker countries pre-qualify for the right to play the bigger countries, like the mighty England who haven't won an international tournament since before man landed on the Moon

Hahaha very good :D