Will & Kate's baby name?

15678911»

Comments

• pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son is called George he is nearly 5 it will be really popular now, but I dont know another child called George at the moment. We chose the name as its a good solid traditional name. So in my biased view they couldnt have picked a better name for the new baby
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who is calling their child George in this age? I don't think its popular at all.

Traditional or not this up there with Henry, Ethel, Gertrude, Ruth, Maeve, Alfie and Sarah in horrible. No offence to anyone with those names.

Alexander is a cute name tho.

Number 6 in the top boys names for 2012 so you'd be wrong
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Number 6 in the top boys names fir 2012 so you'd be wrong

My grandson starts school in august , 12 in his class and three are called George
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So pleased about the 'Louis'

It makes me imagine One Direction fans getting excited over the baby sharing a name with one of their darlings. 'Shud of cald im Prince Liam Harry Louis Zayn Niall LOL!1!', they'll be tweeting.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    So the Name is George. How disappointing! Rather boring Name! Perhaps privately they will call him Alex? I do not use my first Name!!! At least when Diana and Charles picked Henry we were told he would be referred to as Harry!! A much more fun Name! Oh well, the main Thing they were lucky enough to have a healthy Baby, so many People do not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My youngest sons middle name is George, and my oldest sons middle name is Louis. I pick such posh names ;)
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After they named the royal baby I was still thinking wonder if they would have called the baby after Diana had it been a girl and so as im quite into family trees & geneology decided to have a quick look at Dianas family tree as all I really knew was she had a titled brother. So....wikipaedia showed me that she had 3 siblings...Sarah McCorquodale, Jane Fellowes and Charles Spencer, in that exact birth order, each of these 3 siblings had children , however interestingly they all have ONLY one son each..

Sarah's son is called George...Jane's son is called Alexander....and Charles' son is called Louis....George Alexander Louis.....I wonder if William chose the babys names for this reason to honour his mothers side of the family or is it a coincidence? wouldnt put it past William after giving Kate his mothers engagement ring.

Wish Id spotted it a few weeks ago as could have put a bet on it.
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After they named the royal baby I was still thinking wonder if they would have called the baby after Diana had it been a girl and so as im quite into family trees & geneology decided to have a quick look at Dianas family tree as all I really knew was she had a titled brother. So....wikipaedia showed me that she had 3 siblings...Sarah McCorquodale, Jane Fellowes and Charles Spencer, in that exact birth order, each of these 3 siblings had children , however interestingly they all have ONLY one son each..

Sarah's son is called George...Jane's son is called Alexander....and Charles' son is called Louis....George Alexander Louis.....I wonder if William chose the babys names for this reason to honour his mothers side of the family or is it a coincidence? wouldnt put it past William after giving Kate his mothers engagement ring.

Wish Id spotted it a few weeks ago as could have put a bet on it.

Diana's brother, Charles, has TWO sons. They are named Louis and Edmund. I like your thinking, Having watched some interviews with Diana on youtube from many moons ago, she says that William and Harry play a lot with her sisters' children (George and Alexander would be in the same age group as William and Harry) and are very close to them. So it would be a nice gesture to name his son after his cousins on his mother's side and of course, they are regal names anyway. Louis, Charles' eldest son, is a lot younger than William, still a teenager I think.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying bbnutnut, I didnt notice Charles Spencer had 2 sons, I thought id discovered something of deep significance lol:D
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replying bbnutnut, I didnt notice Charles Spencer had 2 sons, I thought id discovered something of deep significance lol:D

It was still good detective work and was still probably significant in their choice of names
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I have a brother called Georg. Yes it is spelled that way too. He's my favorite brother.
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I'd say it is significant. You did well with noticing the names. I wonder if they'll choose any of the Spencer side as a Godparent. The more prominent royals tend to have quite a few Godparents.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who is calling their child George in this age? I don't think its popular at all.

Traditional or not this up there with Henry, Ethel, Gertrude, Ruth, Maeve, Alfie and Sarah in horrible. No offence to anyone with those names.

I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that a lot of the "oldfashioned" names such as the ones you mention above are becoming trendy again. To be honest if I was about to become a parent I would rather give the child an oldfashioned traditional name rather than some of the names given to the children of some celebrities in recent years. At least these are "normal" names.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    My cousin was considering George for her unborn son, not because of the Royals, she did say it earlier :D. Might have a hard time convincing people now :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My two year old is named George, after my grandfather. I winced when I heard that they were naming him that. Can imagine a thousand George's rocking up at school.:o
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did laugh at the letter's page of my local Scottish paper .One lady was moaning that the baby had no Scottish names :D

She needs to do some research on the name Alexander !!
  • Pablo79Pablo79 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I did laugh at the letter's page of my local Scottish paper .One lady was moaning that the baby had no Scottish names :D

She needs to do some research on the name Alexander !!

Origin: Aléxandros (Greek)
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like his names. Not keen on the initials though - GAL
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oi, I have a George and an Alfie - both fab names in my opinion :D
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin was considering George for her unborn son, not because of the Royals, she did say it earlier :D. Might have a hard time convincing people now :p

My husband's cousin named her baby "Rylan" about 18 months ago. Poor woman is mortified now, but at the time "he" hadn't hit anyone's tv screens!