Options

Brighton considers 'drug-use rooms'

2»

Comments

• Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Strange that they seem very keen to provide dry, warm and comfy rooms for illegal drug taking but if you are a smoker of legal cigarattes paying a large amounts of tax into the exchequer you cannot sit in a room in a Pub or Club, they force you to stand outside. Anyone see anything wrong with this? Mind you, this is the Greens, so they'll probably just do as they please.
    Tell you what - let's allow Brighton to do this, as long as they build a big fence around their madhouse and have border controls.

Spot on about the treatment of smokers.
    Wonder if Brightons going to provide some comfy drop in smoking rooms for addicts of nicotine
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was the violence i was referring to.

Me too. You'll feel it when you refuse to put your hands in the cuffs.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    Did you read the article ? They are NOT buying drugs for junkies .They're wanting to provide a safe place for addicts to use .Away from schools and public places .

On the radio this morning, a spokesman said they were looking at 'revenue streams' to supply the drugs. That usually means diverting tax-payers' money.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange that they seem very keen to provide dry, warm and comfy rooms for illegal drug taking but if you are a smoker of legal cigarattes paying a large amounts of tax into the exchequer you cannot sit in a room in a Pub or Club, they force you to stand outside.

Good point.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll no doubt be generously providing the drugs. What health professional would assist someone to inject unknown substances?
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the heartbroken best friend of an addict who died alone in an abandoned hospital and was found during regular police patrols days later I condone the provision of somewhere safe where people can be at least checked upon.

I wouldn't wish that death on anyone, it breaks my heart to think that he died alone in a place like that or worse - the people he was with realised he had died and just left him there and didn't contact anyone, not even anonymously.

People are going to do it no matter what, and they will do it wherever they can, hence needles being a problem in public parks/places etc. Let them do it in a safe place where they pose no risk to anyone else, let them discard of equipment properly and let there be people on hand to show them another way should they wish to choose it.

It's a good idea.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that they seem very keen to provide dry, warm and comfy rooms for illegal drug taking but if you are a smoker of legal cigarattes paying a large amounts of tax into the exchequer you cannot sit in a room in a Pub or Club, they force you to stand outside. Anyone see anything wrong with this?
    That's because nicotine addicts use their drug of choice in a way which is dangerous to others in the same room. I doubt smoking heroin would be allowed on the same grounds.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Yes, they call themselves the Green Party:

http://younggreens.greenparty.org.uk/AboutUs/Policy/Drugs

And youve read that and think theyre a " mob " ?..... Its eminently sensible. Drug use is a Pandoras box, the lid is well and truly off and its not going back on again any day soon. What would your drug policy be ?.... I know loads of people who use drug taking rooms ....theyre called pubs.