Options

Marvel's Agent Carter

Comments

• Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Thought this series was great. I particularly loved the relationships between the characters - Peggy and Jarvis were such a great team and made good friends, her friendship with Angie really blossomed, the love/hate thing with Howard was interesting. I adore Steve and Peggy as a couple and dealing with her feelings for him in this was both beautiful and sad. It's not often you have the heroine talking about keeping the hero safe like that. I suspect their scenes in AoU will be real tear jerkers!

I do hope we get to see more of where Peggy goes from here. Another 8 episode series 2 would be perfect imo.
    The show runners did say that they wanted to do limited series last year because... Unlike most network shows that are 22 or 23-episode seasons, Markus and McFeely think Agent Carter should be a limited series with a maximum of 13 episodes per season. McFeely said, “[13 episodes] is how this is envisioned, maybe even less… That’s my hope, is that it would be something like [Under the Dome]. Our case would be that it would be a limited series and you would wrap up that one bad guy and that one case, and then if you like it we’ll do it again next year and it’s 1947.”

The entire article in spoilers to save space...

Screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely Talk AGENT CARTER TV Series; Reveal Timeline, Plot and Planned Episode Count
    by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub March 13, 2014

Agent-Carter-Christopher-Markus-Stephen McFeely

While Marvel has done a lot of smart things, one of the best decisions they made was casting Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter in Captain America: The First Avenger. Unlike some of the Marvel movies where the love story feels forced and unrealistic (see: Thor), the relationship between Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) and Peggy Carter (Atwell) was fantastic thanks to the actors’ chemistry and a great script. With her character becoming an instant favorite after the film’s release, it was no surprise Marvel asked her to appear in one of their One Shot short films, Agent Carter, which was included on the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray. The short picked up where the events of Captain America: The First Avenger left off—right as Carter joins this new organization called S.H.I.E.L.D.: “As she searches for the enigmatic ‘Zodiac’ key, Agent Carter also battles her sexist, bureaucratic boss, Agent Flynn (Bradley Whitford), who thinks women have no place in the secret-agent business.” Dominic Cooper also reprised his role as Howard Stark.

Almost immediately after fans got a look at the short at Comic-Con, people began asking about a possible Agent Carter TV series. I was one of them. Thankfully, ABC thought it was a good enough idea that they started developing it with Captain America screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. Yesterday at the Winter Solider junket, I asked them the status of the pilot, what the show would focus on, its timeline, whether Atwell is still interested in playing the character, and more. They also revealed that the show is envisioned as more of a limited series with 13-episode seasons or less. Hit the jump to see what they had to say.

Here are a few of the highlights I learned from the interview:

ABC has the script for the pilot but nothing is greenlit yet.
    Markus and McFeely have recently spoken to Hayley Atwell and she is very interested in doing the show.
    Howard Stark would be a recurring character, not a series regular. This is assuming Dominic Cooper would be willing to continue to play the role. I’ve spoken to him about this and he seemed very interested. But this was a few months ago and things change.
    The show would start in 1946, sort of in the middle of the timeline of the One Shot. McFeely said, “We can’t get her to the end of S.H.I.E.L.D. that fast. We wanna stay in that world longer where people are disrespecting her and she’s proving herself and going on missions and things like that.”
    Unlike most network shows that are 22 or 23-episode seasons, Markus and McFeely think Agent Carter should be a limited series with a maximum of 13 episodes per season. McFeely said, “[13 episodes] is how this is envisioned, maybe even less… That’s my hope, is that it would be something like [Under the Dome]. Our case would be that it would be a limited series and you would wrap up that one bad guy and that one case, and then if you like it we’ll do it again next year and it’s 1947.”

Watch what Markus and McFeely had to say about Agent Carter below. There is a slight Captain America: The Winter Solider spoiler in the video (it concerns a character that appears in the film…which most of you already know about).

While network television produces a lot of crap, I really think Agent Carter could be something special and I’d love to watch Atwell play Agent Carter on a weekly basis. Especially with the show taking place in the 40s and showing the early formation of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has agent carter done worse in the ratings in its first season than AOS did?
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I love this show and I don't know how well reiceved Hayley is as Peggy in the states but for me she is fantastic. Really want it to continue.

If going on critic response outside of ratings and the like, I haven't seen one bad review of Hayley as Peggy tbh. Even in slightly negative reviews, she's been highlighted as a reason to watch. It's a bit like the praise Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black gets.

Carter has been doing slightly worse than AoS but has a better DVR percentage increase in its first run. I think AoS put it at a disadvantage straight off the bat tbh.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If going on critic response outside of ratings and the like, I haven't seen one bad review of Hayley as Peggy tbh. Even in slightly negative reviews, she's been highlighted as a reason to watch. It's a bit like the praise Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black gets.

Carter has been doing slightly worse than AoS but has a better DVR percentage increase in its first run. I think AoS put it at a disadvantage straight off the bat tbh.

The main thing I have with Agent Carter (the show) is the sledge hammer approach to sexism in the 50s.

We get it men were bad, women were great. The world wouldn't have survived without Peggy and Angie putting men to rights in the cafe.

rolleyes.

But Hayley has been great as Agent Carter, she is so watchable and I do hope they give her more to do in a 2nd series. She is definitely a good role model for people (not just women).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    It's set in the 1940s not 50s.

I loved it, despite the slow start. I don't mind if it's only 8 episodes, it's quite nice to have a small season. Better than dragging it for 15-20 episodes cause some shows get ridiculous. I'm glad they made it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's set in the 1940s not 50s.

I loved it, despite the slow start. I don't mind if it's only 8 episodes, it's quite nice to have a small season. Better than dragging it for 15-20 episodes cause some shows get ridiculous. I'm glad they made it though.

Yes thanks for the correction, I was being lazy and not checking. But thought they were both sexist eras so didn't matter. :)

I would like the 2nd series to move on to the setting up of SHIELD.

And have Peggy working with more intelligent people who don't worry about gender so the sexism angle doesn't come up so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes thanks for the correction, I was being lazy and not checking. But thought they were both sexist eras so didn't matter. :)

And have Peggy working with more intelligent people who don't worry about gender so the sexism angle doesn't come up so much.

That was part of the plan for 1947 and more back story on Peggy Carter, Howard Stark and the Howling Commandos.

Personally, I'd like to see how "Angie" fits in. And, I don't want to hear any arguments about the name "angie." For all any of us know, that's her stage name and her real name could be something else like Angelica Aloni or Maria Angelina.

My guess would be she's either the MCU's version of Loni Stane, Howard Stark's first wife or the MCU's version of Maria Stark, Howard's second. If Angie becomes Loni Stane, then she'll probably marry Zebediah Stane and have Obediah as her son and it'd be interesting to see how Angie ends up as Loni. But, if Angie becomes Maria Stark then it'll be interesting to see how she ends up as Maria and Tony's mother.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Lol, you're welcome :):p:D

Er no I wouldn't like that as of yet. I think it should stick to the back story of the SSR first and then the introduction of Hydra (Unless you've watched Captain America 1, which might be unheard of but can be true) and move forward. Or just sticking with the back story of the SSR. Because Dotty to me is where the Black Widow might have trained so for me this show is like linking the past with the present. Jumping to SHIELD is too premature. Peggy Carter has to become a lead character in her own right now in the Marvel Universe.

For someone like me who doesn't follow Marvel comics or have the encyclopedia (my uncle the lucky git got it from me as a gift) or have all of this Marvel knowledge I would like to understand the SSR. What they were doing and why SHIELD are who they are now.

Ties in nicely with the 2nd half of season 2 for SHIELD that just started this week in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, you're welcome :):p:D

Er no I wouldn't like that as of yet. I think it should stick to the back story of the SSR first and then the introduction of Hydra (Unless you've watched Captain America 1, which might be unheard of but can be true) and move forward. Or just sticking with the back story of the SSR. Because Dotty to me is where the Black Widow might have trained so for me this show is like linking the past with the present. Jumping to SHIELD is too premature. Peggy Carter has to become a lead character in her own right now in the Marvel Universe.

For someone like me who doesn't follow Marvel comics or have the encyclopedia (my uncle the lucky git got it from me as a gift) or have all of this Marvel knowledge I would like to understand the SSR. What they were doing and why SHIELD are who they are now.

Ties in nicely with the 2nd half of season 2 for SHIELD that just started this week in the US.

I don't really care about the SSR. Never heard of them before SHIELD. We've seen enough of them to know what they are, just another FBI type squad. And sexist of course.

What we really need to see is the set up of SHIELD and especially Peggy's role in it. Dotty and Angie can be part of the show still.

SSR isn't going to take us anywhere Proto SHIELD can' take us.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was a good mini series, the finale was fantastic

not as good as AoS but i would welcome a 2nd season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Has agent carter done worse in the ratings in its first season than AOS did?
    About the same.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/marvels-agent-carter-season-one-ratings-35179/

Supposedly, it lost some of the younger male viewers but had more female viewers among 18-49.
    I don't really care about the SSR. Never heard of them before SHIELD. We've seen enough of them to know what they are, just another FBI type squad. And sexist of course.

What we really need to see is the set up of SHIELD and especially Peggy's role in it. Dotty and Angie can be part of the show still.

SSR can tell us the back story of Maria Stark. My guess: she's Angie...
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Angie was going to end up being Maria after that final scene too. Did we ever find out her real name? Angie was just her stage name remember.

I hope it gets a second series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told Angie was going to end up being Maria after that final scene too. Did we ever find out her real name? Angie was just her stage name remember.

I hope it gets a second series.

Her last name is Martinelli.

http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agent-carter/cast/angie-martinelli
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MikeAP001 wrote: »

And why can't that be done during the set up of SHIELD?
  • Options
    Forum Member

But what's the rush to get to SHIELD?!

This show has its own characters who all have stories to tell first and foremost before SHIELD even come into the picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    About the same.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/marvels-agent-carter-season-one-ratings-35179/

Supposedly, it lost some of the younger male viewers but had more female viewers among 18-49.

SSR can tell us the back story to many in my view
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But what's the rush to get to SHIELD?!

This show has its own characters who all have stories to tell first and foremost before SHIELD even come into the picture.

Because SSR is meaningless. We've seen it we know what it does. It is the formation of SHIELD that is really important about Carter's character.

There is no reason why some of those characters can't form part of SHIELD.

SSR is just filler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because SSR is meaningless. We've seen it we know what it does. It is the formation of SHIELD that is really important about Carter's character.

There is no reason why some of those characters can't form part of SHIELD.

SSR is just filler.

And once it gets to SHIELD we have a remake. Making it redundant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And once it gets to SHIELD we have a remake. Making it redundant.

Remake of what? Have we seen the formation of SHIELD properly in a film or series?

And isn't watching SSR being dismantled worse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Remake of what? Have we seen the formation of SHIELD properly in a film or series?

And isn't watching SSR being dismantled worse?

The programme cannot get to SHIELD without going through the SSR first to just become a subdivision of SHIELD anyway. Leviathan has to be dealt with, Dotty has to be dealt with. If you've never heard of the SSR then you need to watch the first Captain America because these films and shows are linked. And if you've never heard of the SSR until SHIELD then this show in my opinion should do that so that you understand the SSR.

If it just becomes the making of SHIELD then all we're seeing is SHIELD in the 1940s. Makes no sense. Hence the programme becomes redundant. Which is why I believe that getting to SHIELD is premature and allowing these characters to make their mark is more important. Understanding the SSR is the essence to understanding SHIELD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The programme cannot get to SHIELD without going through the SSR first to just become a subdivision of SHIELD anyway. Leviathan has to be dealt with, Dotty has to be dealt with. If you've never heard of the SSR then you need to watch the first Captain America because these films and shows are linked. And if you've never heard of the SSR until SHIELD then this show in my opinion should do that so that you understand the SSR.

If it just becomes the making of SHIELD then all we're seeing is SHIELD in the 1940s. Makes no sense. Hence the programme becomes redundant. Which is why I believe that getting to SHIELD is premature and allowing these characters to make their mark is more important. Understanding the SSR is the essence to understanding SHIELD.

How does seeing SHIELD get formed end up redundant when SSR which we know ends up getting disbanded for SHIELD is really redundant?

SSR is nothing to the story, especially now we've seen what it is like.

SHIELD IS the story, not SSR.

What more do we need to see of SSR? a

And again why can't Leviathan and Dotty be dealt with while SHIELD is being set up?

Agent Carter is a spin off from SHIELD, not SSR,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the blonde assasin had nice eyes, hope she comes back to fight agent carter again. anyone know her actress name?
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    the blonde assasin had nice eyes, hope she comes back to fight agent carter again. anyone know her actress name?

Bridget Regan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How does seeing SHIELD get formed end up redundant when SSR which we know ends up getting disbanded for SHIELD is really redundant?

SSR is nothing to the story, especially now we've seen what it is like.

SHIELD IS the story, not SSR.

What more do we need to see of SSR? a

And again why can't Leviathan and Dotty be dealt with while SHIELD is being set up?

Agent Carter is a spin off from SHIELD, not SSR,

What's the point in having Agent Cater then? I might as well watch SHIELD.

I'm done talking about this now...