Microsoft Word/office!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thank you.

Sorry to sound dumb + ask lots of Qs, but how do i open Microsoft office within Works. if that makes sence

and also, what is the format i save microsoft word documents in to use it in works?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    molybecks wrote: »
    Ok thank you.

Sorry to sound dumb + ask lots of Qs, but how do i open Microsoft office within Works. if that makes sence

and also, what is the format i save microsoft word documents in to use it in works?

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. :)

I'm assuming you have Office 2003. Open Office, and open your document. Click File, Save As....
    Next to Save as Type, click the downward-facing arrow and the drop-down box will open. Click on the appropiate option, then Save.
    The document will now open in Works.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said earlier that it had to be MS Word, but now you seem happy to use Works. What's suddenly changed? If you are willing to use non MS Office programs, I think you'll find Open Office to be a far superior product.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    works is not as good as word itself...

try and grab a version of word..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Office is a very good piece of software - as it visually resembles the older versions of MS Word it doesn't function like the 2007 pile of poo. It opens almost all document file extentions anyone could feasibly want (.doc, .docx, .odf and the MS Works one whatever it is) and has a few other little useful bits like direct PDF exporting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you at University? When I was at University you could buy software through the IT department for next to nowt as it was for educational purposes. If you are at University does it offer a similar service
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think you should download Open Office and give it a go before you dismiss it out of hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I see that you are still at School. Try Open Office.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Try OpenOffice. I use it and I think it's good.
  • Options
    LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    open office is free and compatible with word documents.

You just have to ensure you set the default "save" to be for .doc instead of the open office default (can't remember what the file extension is sorry), and it is completely compatible with word.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    If you can do it with Word, you can do it with Open Office. Don't waste your money on anything else...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get Open Office on a disc on ebay if you don't want to download it.
  • Options
    Veni VidiVeni Vidi Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Nobody is going to spoon feed you a free (read illicit) copy of Word.

Get your head in the game!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veni Vidi wrote: »
    Nobody is going to spoon feed you a free (read illicit) copy of Word.

Get your head in the game!!!

No ta, im not a fan of high school musical
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ultimate steal really is a bargain :)

I got my copy via that.

It's available for all those who have an educational email address - Open University students are also eligible :)
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Did you get MsWorks with your lappy? With the latest updates, it can work with Word files up to Word 2003.

This really should be in the Computing and Networks forum.

Anyway, to try to express the relative functionality of various option in very crude terms:

Wordpad = 10-20% of MS Word
    Works = 40-60% of MS Word
    OpenOffice = 95-98% of MS Word

OpenOffice, and its derivatives, are by far the closest thing to Word in terms of functionality, compatibility and appearance. It even has some nice extra features which Word lacks.

The OP needs to get OpenOffice, try it out, and let us know if there are any problems. Unless they are using macros, there shouldn't be any serious ones.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get MsWorks with your lappy? With the latest updates, it can work with Word files up to Word 2003.
    Thanks for the tip! I just downloaded the free update for M/S Works 8. Had no idea it existed! So much for Microsoft Update automatically updating m/s products!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    etldlrl wrote: »
    This really should be in the Computing and Networks forum.

Anyway, to try to express the relative functionality of various option in very crude terms:

Wordpad = 10-20% of MS Word
    Works = 40-60% of MS Word
    OpenOffice = 95-98% of MS Word

OpenOffice, and its derivatives, are by far the closest thing to Word in terms of functionality, compatibility and appearance. It even has some nice extra features which Word lacks.

The OP needs to get OpenOffice, try it out, and let us know if there are any problems. Unless they are using macros, there shouldn't be any serious ones.

Actually, the OP needs to get his documents converted to Works format tonight, because his Office trial runs out tomorrow. He's not experienced enough to learn a whole new app in that time. But of course, you knew that, because you read the OP, didn't you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Actually, the OP needs to get his documents converted to Works format tonight, because his Office trial runs out tomorrow. He's not experienced enough to learn a whole new app in that time.

If you can work Word, you can work OpenOffice. There isn't any need to 'learn a whole new app'.

I wonder just how many people would have to recommend this solution before the OP would consider it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can always take them into school and convert them there if he hasn't already done so!

Go and talk to your School's IT bods, they may be able to sort you out with a cheap license.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you work for a larger company i would check if you get special offers at work. Both my current and previous employer participated in the microsoft software programme, where staff can usually get a copy of Microsoft office Enterprise for approx £17 (inc P&P). Firms dont tend to advertise this fact, and usually hide it away in there intranets. it Surprised me that no one knew about this at either my previous or current employer, and several had recently bought inferior MS Office packages at a lot higher costs. the only draw back is you only have a licence for the software while you work for that company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i'm still at school (sixth form) and i really need it to finish my presentations and essays etc. Ahh well, i'll keep looking around:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Openoffice can do your presentations too. If you really dont want to pay for MS office, its really the only way to go.