The Great Eastenders Cast Cull of 2012

Comments

• Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Cotton
    felixrex wrote: »
    Unforunately, if recent EE trends are anything to go by, the exact opposite will probably happen. The modus operandi of the EE production team for the past few years seems to have been "what do you mean the audience don't like something?? Well then just do more of it until they do like it!!"

Then looks like we'll be waving goodbye to those whose votes are in single digits :(

Thankfully, no EP would dare axe the likes of Dot and Ian. But, as its a new EP, they may actually listen to the viewers- about as shocking as a happy day in Walford.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mo Harris
    My immediate choices for axing would be: Derek, Tyler, Anthony, Whitney and Ben.

All of them just need to go, and quickly.

Characters that aren't really going anywhere: Jack, Jean, Mo, Billy and Lola.

However, I know that Perry Fenwick will never be axed; they obviously see him as a real asset. Which means that Lola is also very likely to stay for the foreseeable. They really need to sort out Kat as well; the last 18 months have severely damaged her character to the extent that I wouldn't care if she didn't come back. Hopefully, with some decent writing they will be able to redeem her.

I hope that somebody from EastEnders looks at this poll (and yes I know DS only represents a very small number of fans). But the fact that nearly 80% of people want to see Tyler and Anthony axed should be a serious cause for concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mo Harris
    sorry, double post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Cotton
    I do like Billy and lola's relationship- there is still a lot of potential for the both of them
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Andrew Cotton
    IanMandy wrote: »
    Then looks like we'll be waving goodbye to those whose votes are in single digits :(

Thankfully, no EP would dare axe the likes of Dot and Ian. But, as its a new EP, they may actually listen to the viewers- about as shocking as a happy day in Walford.

Well I suppose stranger things have happened! :D

Hopefully, when we get a new permanent EP, it will be somebody from 'outside' of Eastenders. Not somebody who is already working within the production team in some capacity. I think when people are on the 'inside' of shows too long, they lose sight of what state it is actually in. Nobody likes to look at the work they've produced and admit it isn't very good. I'd love to get somebody in the position who is a real old-school EE fan and who has seen, from an outside perspective, how much it has been suffering the past few years. That's not going to happen if we get somebody who already has a close connection to the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Andrew Cotton
    Just get rid of Derek and Ben!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how much more of them I can take!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Cotton

Hopefully, when we get a new permanent EP, it will be somebody from 'outside' of Eastenders. Not somebody who is already working within the production team in some capacity. I think when people are on the 'inside' of shows too long, they lose sight of what state it is actually in. Nobody likes to look at the work they've produced and admit it isn't very good. I'd love to get somebody in the position who is a real old-school EE fan and who has seen, from an outside perspective, how much it has been suffering the past few years. That's not going to happen if we get somebody who already has a close connection to the show.

This. Felix, you've hit the nail on the head!

The show needs new meat, people who have watched EE and knows where it's failing. I'm sure someone on this forum would do a good job as EP- they are exposed to people's opinions and have their own
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Mandy Salter
    How many people have actually left? several producers and script editors have all gone over to Hollyoaks as they are talking about it on their Twitter pages. Did the BBC just come in and axe like 80% of the production team or something?

I agree however. Its looking like it was for the best.

Well, judging by the dross that has been churned out under BK, Hollyoaks is VERY welcome to the whole bunch of 'em.

I hope we don't have to live with the poorer element of BK's legacy (Derek, assorted Moons, miserable-Kat, newLucy) for too long, that a new EP proves to be a good 'new broom' in clearing out the rubbish, that better scriptwriters/story editors are utilised and that previously neglected (pre-BK) characters shine at the helm of the show again so that EE once more becomes TV you just can't bear to miss.

I rather hope that someone from the creatives of EE DOES actually check this forum and take heed of comments made.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Andrew Cotton

The show needs new meat, people who have watched EE and knows where it's failing. I'm sure someone on this forum would do a good job as EP- they are exposed to people's opinions and have their own

Maybe all the forum members should team up and stage a revolution and take over the production of the show :D
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Cotton

I'm still waiting for my phone to ring.

Only a matter of time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Anthony Moon
    Tyler is on 77% ! :eek:

Serves him right. I cannot believe they axed Ryan for Anthony & Tyler. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Andrew Cotton
    look there never going to axe ian or dot or phil are they
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Cotton
    look there never going to axe ian or dot or phil are they

Good. all three are good characters
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Rose Cotton
    Well, the top three that people want gone didn't surprise me in the slightest!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Dixon
    One thing EE is lacking especially with it's younger cast, is realism.

Fat Boy - this guy hardly works, yet seems to afford to live & play in expensive London. His "jobs" are always limited to the 4 corners of the EastEnders lot - a guy like this in real life would be constantly all over London, fingers in all pies, not stuck in a Square hanging out with Dot Cotton (remember in EE she's not the legend as we all know her, she's supposdly just some old busy body)

Moon Brothers - had potential when David Essex was there, now pointless & dull

EastEnders needs to get a grip back on reality:

THE VIC - this place is currently lacking character. As Sharon returns, I'd install her back behind the bar as landlady (Alfie would work better on the market) Sharon as boss, and a strong team of two barmaids, a cellar/barman and someone to cook.

Ensure they are never all together behind the bar - some would work days, some nights, like the old Kathy/Lofty/Wicksey era) At present anyone & everyone seem to be jumping behind the bar all fully experienced at any needed hour of the day - unrealistic

MARKET - Needs a big boost - maybe a storyline could see it given a cash injection from Walford Council following the Olympics - introduce a new character as Market Manager (with office & if sucessful, family to follow/develop)

Put Alfie working on Pete Beale's fruit stall - at present, everyone seems to be jumping on this stall to serve - Alfie would suit it perfectly, with his gift of the gab, and it's central location, Ian would employ Alfie to run it after he looses the Vic to Sharon.

Other stalls would be revamped, and more characters from the cast (not just extras) would start working on them, giving more scope and potential - more stalls to reflect the EastEnd - foriegn food stalls, meat vans, more textiles, more clothes, etc

CAFE - Set up another rival to the Cafe - instead of McClunky's - lets have a healthy Subway style sandwich/deli bar. The younger cast would visit this more than the greasy spoon - ideal location would be the old Video Shop on Turpin Road or the old Mama's Pizzera/Pawn shop opposite the R&R Club.

The Cafe would be more used for the market traders, and old time cast

R&R - This place is stale. Needs a boost - get Whitney & Lucy working part time as barmaids - we don't need to see much this but occasionally it could generate a storyline.

MOON EMPORIUM - do they pay rent here? Even if they don't, surely it doesnt generate enough income to support both brothers, their van, their three bedroom house, their lifestyles etc - this place needs to finish, and the boys Moon either axed, or moved onto market stalls

DOCTOR - Lets get a doctor back in the surgery - a semi regular character only there when needed for a medical metter - a doctor who just does his job & does not get too involved with storylines or have any of his own, like Dr Legg used to have

A storyline could see a threatened closure of the old surgery - giving the community a "Save our Surgery" (SOS) storyline, led by Dot, maybe Leonard Fenton could return to show support to the campaign - bringing the community together

DOT - EastEnders most popular character, loved by many viewers young & old - I think however, Dot needs more light hearted storylines, lets give her a year off from the misery. Get Dot smiling & doing comedy again, cheer us all up!

BEALES - Beef up EastEnders leading family - re-introduce Kenny Beale, from NZ - and his family, maybe a fit Aussie son or daughter. Kenny would live with Ian & become a father figure & lead the Beale family, getting them back on track

ROXY - time to be axed, now Ronnie is gone, her character is just running around loose & has no real need to be there.

Just a few ideas there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anthony Moon
    One thing EE is lacking especially with it's younger cast, is realism.

Fat Boy - this guy hardly works, yet seems to afford to live & play in expensive London. His "jobs" are always limited to the 4 corners of the EastEnders lot - a guy like this in real life would be constantly all over London, fingers in all pies, not stuck in a Square hanging out with Dot Cotton (remember in EE she's not the legend as we all know her, she's supposdly just some old busy body)

Moon Brothers - had potential when David Essex was there, now pointless & dull

EastEnders needs to get a grip back on reality:

THE VIC - this place is currently lacking character. As Sharon returns, I'd install her back behind the bar as landlady (Alfie would work better on the market) Sharon as boss, and a strong team of two barmaids, a cellar/barman and someone to cook.

Ensure they are never all together behind the bar - some would work days, some nights, like the old Kathy/Lofty/Wicksey era) At present anyone & everyone seem to be jumping behind the bar all fully experienced at any needed hour of the day - unrealistic

MARKET - Needs a big boost - maybe a storyline could see it given a cash injection from Walford Council following the Olympics - introduce a new character as Market Manager (with office & if sucessful, family to follow/develop)

Put Alfie working on Pete Beale's fruit stall - at present, everyone seems to be jumping on this stall to serve - Alfie would suit it perfectly, with his gift of the gab, and it's central location, Ian would employ Alfie to run it after he looses the Vic to Sharon.

Other stalls would be revamped, and more characters from the cast (not just extras) would start working on them, giving more scope and potential - more stalls to reflect the EastEnd - foriegn food stalls, meat vans, more textiles, more clothes, etc

CAFE - Set up another rival to the Cafe - instead of McClunky's - lets have a healthy Subway style sandwich/deli bar. The younger cast would visit this more than the greasy spoon - ideal location would be the old Video Shop on Turpin Road or the old Mama's Pizzera/Pawn shop opposite the R&R Club.

The Cafe would be more used for the market traders, and old time cast

R&R - This place is stale. Needs a boost - get Whitney & Lucy working part time as barmaids - we don't need to see much this but occasionally it could generate a storyline.

MOON EMPORIUM - do they pay rent here? Even if they don't, surely it doesnt generate enough income to support both brothers, their van, their three bedroom house, their lifestyles etc - this place needs to finish, and the boys Moon either axed, or moved onto market stalls

DOCTOR - Lets get a doctor back in the surgery - a semi regular character only there when needed for a medical metter - a doctor who just does his job & does not get too involved with storylines or have any of his own, like Dr Legg used to have

A storyline could see a threatened closure of the old surgery - giving the community a "Save our Surgery" (SOS) storyline, led by Dot, maybe Leonard Fenton could return to show support to the campaign - bringing the community together

DOT - EastEnders most popular character, loved by many viewers young & old - I think however, Dot needs more light hearted storylines, lets give her a year off from the misery. Get Dot smiling & doing comedy again, cheer us all up!

BEALES - Beef up EastEnders leading family - re-introduce Kenny Beale, from NZ - and his family, maybe a fit Aussie son or daughter. Kenny would live with Ian & become a father figure & lead the Beale family, getting them back on track

ROXY - time to be axed, now Ronnie is gone, her character is just running around loose & has no real need to be there.

Just a few ideas there!

Fantastic ideas although I would axe the Moon's completely and keep Roxy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mo Harris
    Some really great ideas bronze bully; I especially like your ideas for the Vic and the market, both of which desperately need a boost (especially the Vic). I would also axe the pointless boxing gym; that space would work much better as a bar/nightclub than the broom cupboard that is R&R. The current nightclub could be turned into a restaurant. The Square also needs some more shops; it's unrealistic that everyone would get all their food from the Minute mart.

However, I would definitely keep Roxy, I think she's a very likeable character which is something EastEnders is lacking at present.
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Moon
    bass55 wrote: »
    Some really great ideas bronze bully; I especially like your ideas for the Vic and the market, both of which desperately need a boost (especially the Vic). I would also axe the pointless boxing gym; that space would work much better as a bar/nightclub than the broom cupboard that is R&R. The current nightclub could be turned into a restaurant. The Square also needs some more shops; it's unrealistic that everyone would get all their food from the Minute mart.

However, I would definitely keep Roxy, I think she's a very likeable character which is something EastEnders is lacking at present.

I find Roxy rather annoying an very nosey!
  • Options
    jamesisacejamesisace Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat Boy
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    Apparently Dot and Jay are the two characters people would most like to stay.

Both are really brilliant at the moment and IMO are the show's strongest characters
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    Fat Boy
    Bronce bully, I really like most your ideas except I'd keep Alfie on at the Vic, maybe as manager or somewhere else like front of house manager at Fargo's as he never worked on the stall and led to his downfall last time, he had some awful storylines alongside his time on the market like the awful Molfie story, but he has been fantastic since his return. And he gives the Vic a real heart.

And I'd keep Roxy, she has been rejuvenated recently as has the whole Mitchell family and I'm really enjoying them all together and as individuals. I'd also keep Ben on...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mo Harris
    Great poll. I ticked 14 boxes with only one Mitchell surviving:)
  • Options
    jamesisacejamesisace Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat Boy
    SULLA wrote: »
    Great poll. I ticked 14 boxes with only one Mitchell surviving:)

Which Mitchell survived?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anthony Moon
    Bronce bully, I really like most your ideas except I'd keep Alfie on at the Vic, maybe as manager or somewhere else like front of house manager at Fargo's as he never worked on the stall and led to his downfall last time, he had some awful storylines alongside his time on the market like the awful Molfie story, but he has been fantastic since his return. And he gives the Vic a real heart.

And I'd keep Roxy, she has been rejuvenated recently as has the whole Mitchell family and I'm really enjoying them all together and as individuals. I'd also keep Ben on...

Him and Kat have made the pub ice cold.

Sharon's whats needed in there. Both for history and for warmth.
  • Options
    shandygirl1211shandygirl1211 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Branning
    I voted for Derek Branning.

I am all for having characters that you 'love to hate' but since his arrival I could stomach him for a couple of weeks but then realised that I loathed him so much I could not enjoy the show, even with the characters I do like, I have since stopped watching and will try again when this heinous character (and IMHO awful actor) have left Albert Square (preferably in a coffin not a black cab, so there is no fear of his return).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Cotton
    Hate Derek too