1940s films that hold up well today

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The 1940s was a classic decade for cinema. For one thing technical innovations were made, and sophisticated camera techniques were being developed. For another thing the screen acting styles were slowly changing, and becoming more naturalistic, just before the likes of Brando perfected the style of acting we know today. But what films do you feel still hold up well today from the 40s in terms of both a plot and acting perspective?

Here's my list, do you agree?

The Grapes Of Wrath- 1940

Citizen Kane- 1941

Woman of the Year- 1942

The Third Man-1949

Notorious- 1946

The Philadelphia Story- 1940

Comments

• lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    These aren't films that were made in the 1940s (apologies for being off topic) but if we were to go back to the 1930s then It Happened One Night (1934) holds up well today. It's essentially a road trip and works perfectly well today.

Another film moving on to the beginning of the 1950s Sunset Boulevard (1950) holds up well too. An aging, forgotten actress desperate to be young and famous again works well today. So many people cling on to their youth. Plus Sunset Boulevard is my all time favourite film. Need to watch it again.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The earthquake scene in San Francisco stands up very well for a film made in 1936.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoNDihnfbc
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    These aren't films that were made in the 1940s (apologies for being off topic) but if we were to go back to the 1930s then It Happened One Night (1934) holds up well today. It's essentially a road trip and works perfectly well today.

Another film moving on to the beginning of the 1950s Sunset Boulevard (1950) holds up well too. An aging, forgotten actress desperate to be young and famous again works well today. So many people cling on to their youth. Plus Sunset Boulevard is my all time favourite film. Need to watch it again.

I agree with you on both counts :) however I was asking about films from the 40s in particular because I see that decade as a kind of bridge between the old and new acting styles.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    I agree with you on both counts :) however I was asking about films from the 40s in particular because I see that decade as a kind of bridge between the old and new acting styles.

Yeah sorry for going off topic!

Bogart and Bacall films hold up pretty well.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The 1940s was a classic decade for cinema. For one thing technical innovations were made, and sophisticated camera techniques were being developed. For another thing the screen acting styles were slowly changing, and becoming more naturalistic, just before the likes of Brando perfected the style of acting we know today. But what films do you feel still hold up well today from the 40s in terms of both a plot and acting perspective?

Here's my list, do you agree?

The Grapes Of Wrath- 1940

Citizen Kane- 1941

Woman of the Year- 1942

The Third Man-1949

Notorious- 1946

The Philadelphia Story- 1940

Two of my favourite movies and, as a keen photographer very visually inspiring movies both photographed by the legendary Gregg Toland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry for going off topic!

Bogart and Bacall films hold up pretty well.

Hmm you think? I always find both of them kind of stagey and artificial. Never liked The Big Sleep, or To Have and Have Not. I prefer Tracey and Hepburn, they are much more contemporary in their acting styles I think. I also love Powell and Loy for the same reason, they were effortlessly charming and charismatic. Henry Fonda is another actor of the period who has a very natural style, and Jean Arthur in The More the Merrier is sooo good, she's like the Goldie Hawn of her day only better:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of my favourite movies and, as a keen photographer very visually inspiring movies both photographed by the legendary Gregg Toland.

It is my belief that Toland single handedly changed the look of Hollywood movies. His deep focus and quirky angles really changed the stagey studio look of the previous decade. TGOW is a great example. Do you recall that shot when the Joads enter the camp, and the camera is from their perspective, and everyone is getting out of the way of their truck? well, that scene is years ahead of its time I think. Simply marvelous.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    "Sleep My Love"
    "The Maltese Falcon"
    "Casablanca"
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Matter of Life and Death-1946. (also known as Stairway to Heaven)

Creatively and visually stunning for its time, enchanting, charming. One to see imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Bette Davis very much, although I feel her performances in the main are very dated now. very theatrical, I sometimes wince when I see her in films like Mr Skeffington or The Corn is Green. I think her best acting roles are in Now Voyager and The Little Foxes, because in those films she gives restrained performances. Don't get me wrong she is a legend, and was more talented than most of her period ( certainly better than the awful Joan Crawford) but most of her acting now seems very overblown, almost hysterical.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Ealing did a few

Kind Hearts and Coronets
    Hue and Cry
    Passport to Pimlico
    Whisky Galore
  • heart break kidheart break kid Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    If your criteria is naturalistic acting, then how about some Robert Mitchum? Out of the Past being the obvious example.

Also the underrated Cornered with Dick Powell. He plays a Bogart style lead (ex forces turned PI) but with a bit more subtlety. Directed by Edward Dymtryck I believe. It's quite dark and has some interesting location shooting in areas of Europe that were genuinely destroyed in the war.

Charles Bickford was an interesting actor, I like his roles in Fallen Angel and the Woman on the Beach.

What about This Gun for Hire? Alan Ladd has some subtle but cool moments in that like the scene with the cat.

Probably my favourite decade for Hollywood films. So many iconic actors and directors.
    Forum Member
    Most of my favourites are from this period so I would say the plots and acting of things like Laura, Scarlet Street, Woman in the Window, Crossfire, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Kiss of Death, Gilda and many many more all hold up just fine today, even you could say the acting isn't exactly completely naturalistic in some of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your criteria is naturalistic acting, then how about some Robert Mitchum? Out of the Past being the obvious example.

Also the underrated Cornered with Dick Powell. He plays a Bogart style lead (ex forces turned PI) but with a bit more subtlety. Directed by Edward Dymtryck I believe. It's quite dark and has some interesting location shooting in areas of Europe that were genuinely destroyed in the war.

Charles Bickford was an interesting actor, I like his roles in Fallen Angel and the Woman on the Beach.

What about This Gun for Hire? Alan Ladd has some subtle but cool moments in that like the scene with the cat.

Probably my favourite decade for Hollywood films. So many iconic actors and directors.

Oh I love 'Out of the Past' haven't seen it in ages. Mitchum is great in that, and so is Jane Greer, who is underrated as an actress. I think she was better than Lauren Bacall. There is a lot of location filming in that movie too. Which shows that this was the decade when Hollywood started loosening up a bit from its strict confines.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    A Matter of Life and Death-1946. (also known as Stairway to Heaven)

Creatively and visually stunning for its time, enchanting, charming. One to see imo.

And another Powell and Pressburger one from the 40s:

The Red Shoes (1948)
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'It's a Wonderful Life' - It is quite amazing that this film was made in the 40s. It was well ahead of it's time but at the same time it is timeless. I think it will last forever.

'The Strawberry Blonde' - I was never a big Jimmy Cagney fan but I do like this film and loved his performance. The humour is timeless and I would imagine that it was quite risqué for the time. Olivia De Havilland was delightful.

It's hard to believe that these movies are nearly 75 years old. The world has changed so much but the people haven't changed that much at all.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sherlock Holmes films (The first two are from 1939, but........) starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. I re-watch them all every few years.

The Best Years of Our Lives - Excellent film about soldiers returning home from war.

Citizen Kane - Great.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - One of my favourite films.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Another favourite.

White Heat and Yankee Doodle Dandy - Contrasting Cagney classics.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    It is my belief that Toland single handedly changed the look of Hollywood movies. His deep focus and quirky angles really changed the stagey studio look of the previous decade. TGOW is a great example. Do you recall that shot when the Joads enter the camp, and the camera is from their perspective, and everyone is getting out of the way of their truck? well, that scene is years ahead of its time I think. Simply marvelous.

When he worked on TGOW Toland studied the work of photographer Dorothea Lange who had documented the plight of the migrant workers and gave the movie a similar feel to her images.
    It's really tragic that he died relatively young, who knows what he might have achieved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my favourites are from this period so I would say the plots and acting of things like Laura, Scarlet Street, Woman in the Window, Crossfire, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Kiss of Death, Gilda and many many more all hold up just fine today, even you could say the acting isn't exactly completely naturalistic in some of them.

Woman in the window (1944) is such a fascinating movie, it's like a twilight zone episode. Edward G is great in that.
    Gilda (1946) is also a fave of mine. Even though I'm gay i always find Rita Hayworth captivating. She was sexy and vulnerable, and was a fairly decent actress, as well as a good dancer. She was far more interesting than Marilyn Monroe imo. Do you agree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he worked on TGOW Toland studied the work of photographer Dorothea Lange who had documented the plight of the migrant workers and gave the movie a similar feel to her images.
    It's really tragic that he died relatively young, who knows what he might have achieved.

What other movies did he do? I know he also did The Little Foxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sherlock Holmes films (The first two are from 1939, but........) starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. I re-watch them all every few years.

The Best Years of Our Lives - Excellent film about soldiers returning home from war.

Citizen Kane - Great.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - One of my favourite films.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Another favourite.

White Heat and Yankee Doodle Dandy - Contrasting Cagney classics.

Oh god yes The Best Years of our Lives, is great. The music is fantastic too, very contemporary sounding. I think the reason it's not better known today is that no major movie legend is in it. Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy and Frederic March are all fairly overlooked today sadly, or not known.

I used to watch those old Sherlock Holmes films on BBC2 as a small kid in the mid 80s when they were shown often. Do you remember that? and the Charlie Chan movies too.:)
    Forum Member
    Most of my favourites are from this period so I would say the plots and acting of things like Laura, Scarlet Street, Woman in the Window, Crossfire, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Kiss of Death, Gilda and many many more all hold up just fine today, even though you could say the acting isn't exactly completely naturalistic in some of them.

Edit in above post.
    Forum Member
    Oh I love 'Out of the Past' haven't seen it in ages. Mitchum is great in that, and so is Jane Greer, who is underrated as an actress. I think she was better than Lauren Bacall. There is a lot of location filming in that movie too. Which shows that this was the decade when Hollywood started loosening up a bit from its strict confines.

Yeah, Out of the Past is one of the true greats. The dialogue is fantastic and Mitch's delivery is just so iconic. I watch it at least once or twice a year with a pack of lucky strikes and bottle of whisky late at night and it always totally captivates me. Real movie magic.

Jane Greer was very beautiful. There's a series of videos on YouTube called legendary Robert Mitchum or something like that and Jane Greer is in them as an older lady, probably well into her 60's but she's still very beautiful with great bone structure and a warm smile.
    Forum Member
    Oh god yes The Best Years of our Lives, is great. The music is fantastic too, very contemporary sounding. I think the reason it's not better known today is that no major movie legend is in it. Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy and Frederic March are all fairly overlooked today sadly, or not known.

I used to watch those old Sherlock Holmes films on BBC2 as a small kid in the mid 80s when they were shown often. Do you remember that? and the Charlie Chan movies too.:)

Why do you think someone like Dana Andrews doesn't have a bigger profile now or then? He's great imo - he's got the looks and wears a fedora as well as anyone. He worked with Otto Preminger, Fritz Lang, Jacques Tourneur, Elia Kazan, Lewis Milestone etc. Great performer imo with a strong body of work including more than a few genuine classics. Deserves a better rep these days I feel.

He's really watchable even in lower budget RKO fair like Sealed Cargo (which is incidentally a great little film in itself).
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    The Third Man
    Casablanca
    Black Narcissus
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Treasure Of Sierra Madre
    Double Indemnity
    Notorious
    His Girl Friday
    The Grapes of Wrath
    The Great Dictator