What's for Dinner tonight? (Part 6)

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Takeaway tonight but I don't know where from so it could be chicken chow mein or donner meat & chips or something else.

I know what my two preferred options are :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I don't know. I had quite a big lunch so it will be something small, if anything at all.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roast chicken
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roasted rack of lamb. It's from allrecipes, but I can't find it there anymore. Supposed to have a bread crumb crust, but I don't use crumbs, it's even better without.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schwartz chicken and leek bake. Butternut squash cooked in someway. Gonna google it cause I usually just roast it.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »

That sounds wonderful!

I know what I'm having this week :)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds wonderful!

I know what I'm having this week :)
    Thank you! I had the aubergine dish once before and it was lovely. First time for the potatoes but I can't see them being anything but nice, too!
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never been very successful with aubergine. It turns to mush if I fry it, grill it or griddle it. I had it a few times when I lived in Rhodes but I've never been able to recreate that dish. IIRC it was just fried with probably a tzatziki dip.
    Forum Member
    Leftover chicken chow mein and chips
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Roast chicken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    I've never been very successful with aubergine. It turns to mush if I fry it, grill it or griddle it. I had it a few times when I lived in Rhodes but I've never been able to recreate that dish. IIRC it was just fried with probably a tzatziki dip.
    Yes, it's a difficult vegetable. I think you just get the knack after a while. My biggest mistake was always trying to use as little oil as possible but now I use whatever amount of light olive oil it takes. I also use two frying pans so the aubergine doesn't get crowded, few splashes of the oil and then add oil as needed. If I can be bothered, I salt it first when is supposed to mean it needs less oil.

Yes, fried aubergine just with tzatziki sounds lovely. With some fried courgette and red pepper too. Mmm!

I also roast in by slicing them into thick rounds and scoring around the edge quite deeply and with criss crosses on both sides and then oiling them with a mixture of olive oil, chilli and garlic. Then put them in the oven, adding extra oil if necessary, until they've slightly collapsed in the middle, turning them as necessary. Goes will topped with cottage cheese and a chilli tomato sauce.

This is a nice recipe, too, but really rich.

http://www.greenbeansnmore.com/eggplantappetizermoroccan.html
    Forum Member
    I think salting the aubergines over a colander before you fry them (in batches) is quite handy way to cook them without compromising taste or texture.
    Forum Member

I'll be trying the aubergines tomorrow, I think!

Are you using parmesan or are using a vegetarian equivalent?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't actually use parmesan. I've topped it with mozzarella. A bit indulgent! I'm not that strict though, so I do use parmesan.
    Forum Member

I didn't actually use parmesan. I've topped it with mozzarella. A bit indulgent! I'm not that strict though, so I do use parmesan.
    Aubergine and mozzerella bake is one of my favourite veggie (meat free) dishes.

I coat the aubergine in polenta and (deep) fry it. Then layer in a pryex dish with tomato sauce/passata and the mozzerella. I sometimes also add fried sliced potatoes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Ham and potato cheese bake, with chicken , roast potatoes and peas and sweetcorn.was yum, but me still hungry :o
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think salting the aubergines over a colander before you fry them (in batches) is quite handy way to cook them without compromising taste or texture.

Yes. The salt also helps remove some moisture from the aubergine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meat feast pizza 🍕
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicken, Ayrshire potatoes, carrots, grean beans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Aubergine and mozzerella bake is one of my favourite veggie (meat free) dishes.

I coat the aubergine in polenta and (deep) fry it. Then layer in a pryex dish with tomato sauce/passata and the mozzerella. I sometimes also add fried sliced potatoes.
    Never deep fried it before. How does the polenta stick? How long do you fry it for? In olive oil? (Sound like the Spanish Inquisition!). I do a sort of moussaka with potatoes and spinach and aubergine.

Tonight is just cheesy chips and M&S Edgy Veggie Burgers.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Quorn fricasse - chicken version for hubby.

^^^ Kimi - have you googled Kwylie Kwon's - spicy aubergine stir fry etc - she does amazing dishes with aubergines.😊
    I would put a link if I knew how.😳
    Forum Member
    Never deep fried it before. How does the polenta stick? How long do you fry it for? In olive oil? (Sound like the Spanish Inquisition!). I do a sort of moussaka with potatoes and spinach and aubergine.

Tonight is just cheesy chips and M&S Edgy Veggie Burgers.
    Beaten egg and/or milk to get the polenta to stick. If frying in a pan i'd use olive oil.
    You could use flour egg & breadcrumbs or just flour. You don't have to coat it at all.

I ususally deep fry the slices.
    Forum Member
    Decided to park the Aubg until later in the week.

Having smoky vegetable chilli and rice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pork chops and new potatoes
This discussion has been closed.