Options

Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Holy moly I think Ray of Light just beat Confessions to the top of my Madonna list, holy crap I can't explain it, I just listened to it and it was such a trippy, emotional experience like I haven't felt before, like I felt like I was flying or something, wow, I don't know what else to say.

I totally agree!

ROL is the best album Madonna ever recorded (imo) and beats Confessions into a cocked hat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot believe that Confessions on a Dance Floor is almost 8 y.o :O.....masterpiece everytime i play it i get lost in space...anyways this week marks 8 years since Hung Up set the world alight and broke and set new records......rock on M! adore the entire era...the album masterpeice, the singles (though i do wish KLEIN directed with M and made a story across the videos)....and the tour was sublime!

Brilliant.

Also it is still the fastest selling album by a female international artist in the UK with 218,000 sold in the first week of release...ah memories of winter in Woolworths when i bought my copy after saving pocket money up :))....songs from the album on play too in the background. Has to be said i miss that :/.

Nowadays albums that never used to enter the top 10 can top the charts XD
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot believe that Confessions on a Dance Floor is almost 8 y.o :O.....masterpiece everytime i play it i get lost in space...anyways this week marks 8 years since Hung Up set the world alight and broke and set new records......rock on M! adore the entire era...the album masterpeice, the singles (though i do wish KLEIN directed with M and made a story across the videos)....and the tour was sublime!

Brilliant.

Also it is still the fastest selling album by a female international artist in the UK with 218,000 sold in the first week of release...ah memories of winter in Woolworths when i bought my copy after saving pocket money up :))....songs from the album on play too in the background. Has to be said i miss that :/.

Nowadays albums that never used to enter the top 10 can top the charts XD

Haha, I miss Woolworths, I used to buy all my CD's from there.
    Haha I sound like an old codger but I guess it was only a few years ago.
    Anyways, Happy Anniversary to Confessions!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah massive Happy Anniversary my first era i followed begining to end...was 13....amazing times! and the album keeps growing and growing so ahead of the times...making EDM/Retro Art Pop cool before it was cool...yeah baby!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also i had an idea for if MDNA was re-worked a bit as an album (played it a lotthe past week btw)

but the idea of transgression on the album would have been and worked so well...like if the sonvs beld nto one anoher (kinda like Confessions and Dear Jessie into Oh Father on LAP) for example i thought.

1. girl gone wild - opens the album perfectly and showcases a new alter ego...set to lay waste to the world...
    2. some girls - showcases how different she is from the pack, gets her riled up for chick fights pulpy style...
    3. Love Spent - generating her anger against a scorned lover who uses/abuses/misuses her multiple times...
    4. gang bang - she wants her revenge and wants to take it out on those who have wronged her...
    5. Best Friend - she reflects on the lover she lost...
    6. Beautiful Killer - a self analysing anthem for the killer/emotional killer...
    7. Im Addicted - she wants to feel higher/happier again and has a lust for the rhythm ...
    8. Im A Sinner - trip fest she feels that high and self acknowledges where she has been...
    9. Superstar - feeling the hapiest she has ever been, worshiping thsoe that made her...
    10 - Luvin - the crowds cheer her name....she yearns the crowd...
    11 - I Dont give a... - a powerhouse anthemic song as she acknowledges the lows she feels and not caring what the world thinks...
    12 - I F-d Up - but in turn she knows where she went wrong...
    13. Falling Free - an emotional finaleto the album.

Bonus i would have TUTR, Bday Song and Masterpeice as its a film scored song...plus more remixes...TUTR could be a released remix later.

Plusi feel having 13 songs and finalised would create the space/feel as intended for the material...and the merging of EDM/Disco/Trippy/Electronica/Psychy Pop/Power Pop/Urban sounds could marry together nicer and feel more cohesive maybe? I dunno....but after time i feel this is the way i view the album/character as a journey Pulpy/exorcising demons, acknowledging wrongs etc pretty powerful stuff.

Plus who else thinks Love Spent should be longer? i adore that it feels like a mini journey in its own right. Plus i lvoe the diea of the MDNA theme Im Addicted being the centre of the album too for some reason :) getting that higher vibe...
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speaking of mdna... i wonder what that song is like? although, we know madge also passed on chris brown's "don't wake me up" and that could have fitted in well on mdna.

josh, you cant relegate "masterpiece" to the deluxe tracks.:rolleyes::p it was arguably her best chance of a hit single from that album, but the whole campaign was a catalogue of errors.:mad: the "i'm addicted" performance on the mdna tour would have looked stunning in the x factor studio on a smaller scale and she no doubt would have renewed interest in the album, but it wasn't to be.:(

who knows, hopefully, she learned her lesson or maybe, she just doesn't care about under performing commercially and perhaps she has other goals she wants to realise. personally, i think the film, the recording of the album, the film promotion, then the super-bowl, closely followed by the tour just drained her and she had to juggle family life in amongst all of that too.:eek:

it wouldn't bother me if she excludes herself from extensive promotion here on in and just puts her music out there. however, if she is going to go for it next time around, i hope she gives it her full attention and that she is back to her best musically.:)
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confessions day for me. It's one of her best.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think of Madonna working with James Blake? She was seen at a Drake concert who James did a remix for. He does kind of a mix of electronica and soul which seems like the direction she is interested in right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Confessions day for me. It's one of her best.

It is a total masterpiece...everytime i play it on balst the sounds and vocals just make it feel like an outer body experience....i love that with her concept albums....it just has a cohesive flow...even thoug hthe sounds/themes vary across the album itself it is great to hear and get lost in and explore.

Love that about the Confessions era...i love that it experimented and pushed EDM into the masses years before it was on trend...amazing! adore that it feels like a time vortex too...the idea of a dark private space of confessing/exorcising yourself and emitting the past Disco/Synth/New Wave/Dark Wave/Punk/House while pushing to the future Electronica/Trip/Trance euphoria...a marriage of beauty! And love the impact it has had....totally! :)

Ad love that this experimental EDM style is coming back...Daft Punk have OWNED it for 2013...and love what Lady gaga is doing personally too...really marrying Discotecha/Downtowm L.E.S new York with this Rave/otherworldly drive....and Daft Punks Funk/Disco/Electronica...it just feels like they are really pushing for real experimental EDM rather than rely on the "generics" of something.

And James Blake i do love gigi...i remember when his debut coming out at an important time..dont have his recent album but glad he and that sound is breaking out too....Post-Dubstep, Neo-Soul, Experimental Electronica is beautiful....and yeah was impressed M and Rocco went to see Drake....has to be said Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Frank ocean are my favourite guys in Experimental R&B/Urban scene as its not derivative or generic...its really almost Marvin-esque Soulful and Ambient....a true beauty really...hope with her really paying attention to soundtracks and experiencing other shows/films/concerts she gets true vision in how to showcase herself next album/era :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexodus is out...produced with The Weeknd....it is a beautiful sonv and wish M had finalised it for MDNA but alas... check it out...personally i love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOcRiv9BZwU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Monsieur Adis remixes....man how i would love them to work together...love his reworking of the SoulIISoul classic with AME :) brilliant!

also love that i have revisited MDNA recently too it feels like i have finally HEARD it you know...which why i also feel frustrated she didnt do more for it too...but hey...it has put down a lot of groundwork to stem out from for album 13.

Just hope with her Drake attendances and seeing all thes eperformances by dance groups...and art shwos etc she gets inspried.

I see she is on tumblr (have followed her) and wiill hold an auction on there soon :) will be great to see this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only place i know to grasp your attention gigi...i know you have raved about Kate Nash recently....and Sarah (BUFFY!!!) Michelle gellar...has just posted this that Kate Nash did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NhEAYs9FwM

from the Once More musical episode they did in season 6 <3

As you know Buffy is top for me....so yeah! may check out this psuedo-Riot grrrls stuff.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only place i know to grasp your attention gigi...i know you have raved about Kate Nash recently....and Sarah (BUFFY!!!) Michelle gellar...has just posted this that Kate Nash did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NhEAYs9FwM

from the Once More musical episode they did in season 6 <3

As you know Buffy is top for me....so yeah! may check out this psuedo-Riot grrrls stuff.

Oh wow, thanks! I'm not really a Buffy fan, but I love Kate as you know. I know she has said in interviews how much she loves Buffy though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so nile was bbc breakfast and lauded the queen once again.:cool:

"she was the single most driven artist i have ever met, she knew she was going to be a superstar from the word go". preach nile, preach.:D
    Sexodus is out...produced with The Weeknd....it is a beautiful sonv and wish M had finalised it for MDNA but alas... check it out...personally i love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOcRiv9BZwU

that is actually quite good. what on earth was madge thinking?:confused: giving this back to mia and then recording "birthday song" with her instead.:eek: oh well, even superstars make some duff choices at times and to be fair, i don't think it fitted in with the concept of the record ultimately. "don't wake me up", still remains the one that got away from that album for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe Nile Rodgers and Madonna should team up once again?
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Nile Rodgers and Madonna should team up once again?

That would be interesting although I'd love nothing more than to see her team up with Pat Leoanrd again on a mid tempo/ballads album. Pat said in an interview fairly recently that he was open to working with her again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    That would be interesting although I'd love nothing more than to see her team up with Pat Leoanrd again on a mid tempo/ballads album. Pat said in an interview fairly recently that he was open to working with her again

A Madonna and Pat Leonard re union would be brilliant!

They're both older and wiser now so they could pour their ideas and experiences into some gorgeous mid/downtempo songs and ballads that I know would make the best of Madonna's gorgeous ballad voice.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    yep dream collabs for new album would be

Pat Leonard
    Nile Rogers & Daft Punk
    Orbitt
    Adi Monsieur (rather than Guetta, Mirwais, or Price as main producer)

and some self penned songs by Madonna only
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate this time where M is lying low and has nothing lined up that we know of. She said she plans to direct another movie next so hopefully it'll be a short one rather than a feature length one that took 2 years like WE and if thats the case then we will probably get another half assed album. Nobody does it better than M though and I'm sure what she does next will be worth the wait
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear, the madonna/gaga fan base tensions have surfaced again in the main forum, but i am not getting involved. i do see the irony of madonna fans calling for an end to the off topic discussion on numerous occasions, but that just highlights the lack of maturity with certain posters.

some of gaga's fans are clearly lashing out and its probably nothing to do with madonna if they're being honest with themselves. gaga has been put on an untouchable pedestal in these peoples minds and it must be distressing to see her commercial and critical decline. some of these people have moaned and groaned non stop about other artists for showing no musical development and for playing it safe, so of course gaga's return with no artistic development is going to put some fans on the defensive.

madonna is above all of that now, her place in pop history is secure and she has other priorities in life. its actually quite liberating as a fan, not to be concerned with chart positions and sales when it comes to madge, because she's achieved everything she set out to achieve and more.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true gpk, if Madonna never had another hit in her life it wouldn't matter because she has sealed her legacy now. I think it's a shame that Gaga has to bring her up in every single interview she's doing and I think she's very bitter about things and about certain people. It's water of M's back though and I doubt she cares less
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    That's true gpk, if Madonna never had another hit in her life it wouldn't matter because she has sealed her legacy now. I think it's a shame that Gaga has to bring her up in every single interview she's doing and I think she's very bitter about things and about certain people. It's water of M's back though and I doubt she cares less

i don't think madonna hates her like gaga implied, but again, that just shows her own immaturity and her own inflated opinion of herself. i actually believe gaga has the fan base she deserves, her fans are only following her lead with her delusions of grandeur and her passive aggressive approach to criticism.

gaga has a right to address the questions just like madonna did before her, but crucially, all madonna did was comment on gaga's song. so where gaga gets the idea she must hate her because of that comment is anyone's guess.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm, now this is very interesting.:eek: could this possibly signal a longer term working relationship between madonna and live nation?

also, madge is doing another "live art curation" at 4:30pm EST today on her tumblr and apparently she'll be answering "Madonna Art For Freedom related questions".;) so basically, she wont be answering questions about certain media publicity stunts, but i bet the fans will ask her anyway.:p and finally, lordes flips off the paps in nyc.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh and i love this picture she found online and posted on her facebook page.:D

and i love her response, "Who ever made this has a good sense of humor. I hope my mother is laughing wherever she may be!" -Madonna. she'll always be a queen to me.:cool:
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    oh dear, the madonna/gaga fan base tensions have surfaced again in the main forum, but i am not getting involved. i do see the irony of madonna fans calling for an end to the off topic discussion on numerous occasions, but that just highlights the lack of maturity with certain posters.

some of gaga's fans are clearly lashing out and its probably nothing to do with madonna if they're being honest with themselves. gaga has been put on an untouchable pedestal in these peoples minds and it must be distressing to see her commercial and critical decline. some of these people have moaned and groaned non stop about other artists for showing no musical development and for playing it safe, so of course gaga's return with no artistic development is going to put some fans on the defensive.

madonna is above all of that now, her place in pop history is secure and she has other priorities in life. its actually quite liberating as a fan, not to be concerned with chart positions and sales when it comes to madge, because she's achieved everything she set out to achieve and more.:cool:

Its always the same Gaga fans who bring up Madonna first and always refer to her as a has been. If she was so much of a has been she wouldn't even be on their radar yet she is their main source of discussion. They are completely intimidated by her legacy and view it as a threat to what they desperately want Gaga to be. The fact they even refer to Madonna as a has been shows their musical ignorance and when Gaga is eventually out of favour (and this day will come a lot sooner than they expect) they will be in for a massive shock. As you say they have placed her so high in their expectations that they expect far too much from her. We Madonna fans have seen many new self proclaimed ''queens'' come and go. This will all end in tears for them. There is only one Madonna and there was only ever a need for one Madonna. Madonna did everything she needed to do. That's why she is a legend. If this ARTPOP era had been done by Katy or Rihanna they wouldn't be praising it the way they have been. There lays the irony. But Molybecks has a history of trolling on this site so my advice is don't rise to it. If its an attempt to make the Madonna fans look bitter all it has done is make the Gaga fans look immature and once again made the monsters look deluded. It a shame how just one person can make an entire fanbase look bad.
    gpk wrote: »
    hmm, now this is very interesting.:eek: could this possibly signal a longer term working relationship between madonna and live nation?

also, madge is doing another "live art curation" at 4:30pm EST today on her tumblr and apparently she'll be answering "Madonna Art For Freedom related questions".;) so basically, she wont be answering questions about certain media publicity stunts, but i bet the fans will ask her anyway.:p and finally, lordes flips off the paps in nyc.:D

What does this say? I cannot read the link. :)