Ruth Lorenzo will represent Spain at Eurovision 2014

2»

Comments

• Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not mad on the song (first listen), I was expecting the tempo to go up half way - but still hope she does well ;-)

The top UK points go to Ireland usually so will be interesting to see how many go to Spain this year :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I'm not mad on the song (first listen), I was expecting the tempo to go up half way - but still hope she does well ;-)

The top UK points go to Ireland usually so will be interesting to see how many go to Spain this year :D

I don't think they will go to Spain just because Ruth Lorenzo appeared on UK X Factor about 5 or 6 years ago. Most of the UK will be likely saying 'Ruth who?' apart from the half dozen on DS who remember her on X Factor. It isn't as if she was that popular as she was booted out halfway through the show. I watched her on that series and I can't even remember what she looks like tbh.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    When was she in the spotlight before? Must have missed that!!:D

Spotlight = platform where millions are watching you.

So yes I think the X Factor watched by 8 million counts. :D
    Forum Member
    I don't think they will go to Spain just because Ruth Lorenzo appeared on UK X Factor about 5 or 6 years ago. Most of the UK will be likely saying 'Ruth who?' apart from the half dozen on DS who remember her on X Factor. It isn't as if she was that popular as she was booted out halfway through the show. I watched her on that series and I can't even remember what she looks like tbh.

Considering loads of people remembered Alexandra having been in a series 3 years prior to Her series and that too booted out at JH. I think Ruth stands a good chance of being remembered 5 years later being a finalist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering loads of people remembered Alexandra having been in a series 3 years prior to Her series and that too booted out at JH. I think Ruth stands a good chance of being remembered 5 years later being a finalist.

Are you referring to Alex Burke? If so, I think most remember her as she has had a half decent career afterwards - as I said Ruth has done nothing since X Factor. I can remember the Chicken Man more than her.:D
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd say most people who are X-Factor fans will remember Ruth. Perhaps they won't remember what series, but they'll at least know her as "the one who sang Purple Rain" considering everytime it's performed, everybody quickly compares it to Ruth's version. If not, I'm sure they'll be reminded by Graham when he gives his little description for Spain on the night.

I doubt UK will give Spain the whole 12 points but I'm sure we'll give them something. It's funny because on all of Ruth's videos, she's getting a lot of hate from Spain while most of the support is coming from the UK
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you referring to Alex Burke? If so, I think most remember her as she has had a half decent career afterwards - as I said Ruth has done nothing since X Factor. I can remember the Chicken Man more than her.:D

I agree with you. I remember her purely because she is Spanish (as is my OH) but can't recall a single performance. I know her fans on her go on about Purple Rain but I don't remember her version at all so she can't have really impressed me that much.
    I couldn't tell you which series she was in or who she was up against.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Oh god. What if the UK vote for him over Ruth again? I still haven't forgiven people over the first time. :D

Her performance really does sell the song, she just refuses to hold back. Can't wait for an even more OTT performance at Eurovision.

The "Ruth Lorenzo! Ruth Lorenzo!" chants were what the X Factor should have been like every week. Here's the reaction we missed out on six years ago (six years! :eek:): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKSkbhQQcY
    I absolutely love her reaction and expression :) She's completely overwhelmed "Soy yo? Soy yo?! (Am I? Am I?) :o !
    The "Ruth Lorenzo!" chants are great too. :D
    Did Ruth get to choose between Spain and the UK?
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Did Ruth get to choose between Spain and the UK?

The BBC apparently asked her but she turned down the offer
    Forum Member

Hm? You seem to have missed the point completely. No worries let me clarify:

Alex Burke auditioned for Series 2
    Alex Burke got cut at JH
    Alex Burke reauditioned for Series 5
    Loads of people remembered her from Series 2
    Alex Burke had quite a bit of support going into the lives!
    Result - she did not go early like most gamma girls. And in fact survived quite comfortably until her breakout performances.

What has Burke career afterwards got anything to do with the fact loads of people remembered Alex in Series 5 having auditioned for a series three years prior? I'm not talking about whether they remember but the fact that she wasn't in the public eye and left at significantly early point in the competition, YET people remembered.

So considering Ruth was not only a finalist but also finished fifth combined with her quirk as possibly the only Spanish contestant to be an XF finalist. I reckon she has a good shot of being remembered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm? You seem to have missed the point completely. No worries let me clarify:

Alex Burke auditioned for Series 2
    Alex Burke got cut at JH
    Alex Burke reauditioned for Series 5
    Loads of people remembered her from Series 2
    Alex Burke had quite a bit of support going into the lives!
    Result - she did not go early like most gamma girls. And in fact survived quite comfortably until her breakout performances.

What has Burke career afterwards got anything to do with the fact loads of people remembered Alex in Series 5 having auditioned for a series three years prior? I'm not talking about whether they remember but the fact that she wasn't in the public eye and left at significantly early point in the competition, YET people remembered.

So considering Ruth was not only a finalist but also finished fifth combined with her quirk as possibly the only Spanish contestant to be an XF finalist. I reckon she has a good shot of being remembered.

I think you miss my point really - I know Alex Burke from her career after the show, and I think lots will know her from that. I don't remember Ruth Lorenzo at all - what she looked like or sounded like and I think most people will struggle as well. A lot of people have performed in front of 8 million people - but the ones that get remembered are the winners, those that have had a chart career after (however brief) and those that were completely awful (Chicken Man). Ruth Lorenzo fits that bit that disappears in the middle - which judging by the lack of subsequent career I would say that she probably disappears in the minds of many others as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree with you. I remember her purely because she is Spanish (as is my OH) but can't recall a single performance. I know her fans on her go on about Purple Rain but I don't remember her version at all so she can't have really impressed me that much.
    I couldn't tell you which series she was in or who she was up against.

Like Mr Quigg she has disappeared and given the lack of career I don't think she stayed in the minds of many others as well (including the record companies). As for her Euro entry it seems like a lot of the Spanish Euro entries, slow and forgettable.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    It's a shame if people don't remember Ruth. She did very well, had an exceptional voice, and will be remembered for that breakout performance of Purple Rain and others :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

Not last year, they only received 1 of our points