Top five most influential artsis/bands of the decade?

BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1. The Strokes

2. The Libertines

3. The Streets

4. Coldplay

5. Interpol

Comments

• TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you not going to elaborate on why you feel the above are so influential?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Winehouse is No. 1
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There isn't any
  • prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of wether you like them as an artist or not, I would say Beyonce, Amy Winehouse and Britney Spears.

If you look at where they were in 2000 (not Amy I suppose), and where they are are now it is clear they have achieved alot.

I truly believe in 10 years time, the next round of artists (of their genre), will say:

"oh remember when Beyonce's voice was at it's peak, I really want to sing a variety of songs like she did".

"I wish I could have hit after hit after hit like Britney did in the 2000s, "

"Do you remember when Amy came out with that Back to Black Album ages ago and it won all those Grammys. I'm really inspired by her vocal style and sound"
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stairway wrote: »

There isn't any

spot on...

those listed are all third rate copies of older original acts.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC Lars.

The majority wouldn't have heard of him, but those that have will know what he's done. He pretty much created a genre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to sound bleak but i can't really name an act or a band that i have found influential or will be greatly revered or remembered in 50 years time. That's my opinion. :)
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    spot on...

those listed are all third rate copies of older original acts.

Agree 100%.

As for the inclusion of Coldplay..... well does he have ANY idea who actually wrote the music to "Talk"??????
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree 100%.

As for the inclusion of Coldplay..... well does he have ANY idea who actually wrote the music to "Talk"??????

mc cartney refered to coldplay as 'a third rate badfinger'... lol... now there a band who (tragically) DO deserve some reverance.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muse and Bloc Party
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1: Amy Winehouse - Opened doors for british acts to crack America. Inspired many of her contemparies.

2: Leona Lewis - Showed a superstar can come from a talent show.

3: Beyonce - All-rounder.

4: Take That - I hate their music but they made tons of other bands reform

5: Rihanna - So many people wanted to work with her after Umbrella, and rightly so!

No particular order by the way.
  • fezxenakisfezxenakis Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting thread. The thing is if you're going to say "The Strokes" and "The Libertines" you might as we say "The Stooges", "The Ramones" and "The Velvet Underground" but hey you could make that argument about most bands even back then a lot of it was very derivative. A few that haven't been mentioned that I think are very important: Norah Jones, Eminem , Justin Timberlake (The Neptunes/Timberland), Scissor Sistors, Flight of the Conchords. Love the Conchords, any act that has a hit TV show will probably have a lasting influence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    1. The Strokes

2. The Libertines

3. The Streets

4. Coldplay

5. Interpol

For this decade, I agree with The Strokes and The Libs. People will say that they were influenced by earlier bands, which is true (who isn't these days?) but as we are talking about this dcade only, they are the two bands that stand out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Surely Radiohead? In Rainbows is a great album, but more importantly the whole downloadable pay what you ant thingy thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick334 wrote: »
    Surely Radiohead? In Rainbows is a great album, but more importantly the whole downloadable pay what you ant thingy thing.

I'm not even a big Radiohead fan and I know this is true.
  • Massive TruckMassive Truck Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Goldfrapp - Bring new electronica to the fore
    Regina Spektor - Singer Songwriting for females
    Jeff Buckley - Singer Songwriting for males
    Muse - They did influence a lot of bands to go electro with guitar even though they started last decade
    Stone Roses - Continue to inspire and influence well into this decade. Without them, no Oasis/BritPop and without that the guitar band explosion wouldn't have happened

Some are last decade but they did influence people of this decade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Definitley Muse, and Radiohead. About the only ones I can think, who in years to come, bands will cite as influences.
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No particular order but probably, Eminem, Radiohead, Jay-Z and maybe Kanye, MGMT and Hot Chip
    I think the first three will be remembered for a long time, the other three less so.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miley Cyrus ??? :o

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T-Pain (vocoder)
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Jay-Z

I struggle to think of a fifth who has as much a right to a place in this as the others. It's supposed to be about influence, and not how good they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suprised no-one's mentionned Sigur Ros yet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC Lars.

The majority wouldn't have heard of him, but those that have will know what he's done. He pretty much created a genre.

"Post-punk laptop rap" is not a genre and he may have popularised "nerdcore" but it existed well before him.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    There is only Muse, in my opinion.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely i think Britney Spears, Beyonce, Amy Winehouse and Eminem have been the most influential artists of the decade.

Love them or hate them!!!
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce
    Jay z
    Britney Spears
    Coldplay