Options

Madonna Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    ben1993ben1993 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Sticky and Sweet on Blu-ray :) Wow, this woman is incredible, she's second only to Britney as my favorite pop artist of all time.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's a lot of anticipation that Madonna will musically come back with something 'mature' next time around. I hope, if it's what she wants to do and is happy and comfortable with, that she comes back with another dancey sound and sticks her flicks up at the ageists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I think there's a lot of anticipation that Madonna will musically come back with something 'mature' next time around. I hope, if it's what she wants to do and is happy and comfortable with, that she comes back with another dancey sound and sticks her flicks up at the ageists.

oh yes Paul Oakenfold!!! @cloudy!!!

and @ben, yeah no one compares to Madonna's live sets! i always go tingly when i see it! would love for her to do some more shows in the UK in the future :)

and yes too true! one of the gazillion reasons why i love Madonna is because she doesn't really give a shit about what critics say etc. I don't want her to age gracefully! i want her to be young and free forever! and i think she does too. I want more leotards (maybe futuristic looking Xena-style ones!) cos who else can rock out in one and still do earth defying choreography????? ZILCH!

and a double CD would be a great idea actually! because while i feel not many have them anymore (besides compilations and deluxe albums etc.) as a concept! and one CD could be one anthem after the next like Ray Of Light/Confessions while the other disc follows a direct concept like Erotica and Like A Prayer in style and synced together perhaps....it would be OFF THE SCALE! one CD having huge genre fusions while the other a more progressive rock/pop and trance style!

Does anyone else feel she's underrated vocally?? i mean for example; when she performed the opening to the Confessions Tour with Future Lovers and goes straight into Get Together it does HIT you hard with her range and then later when she performs Substitute For Love i always go a bit teary in a lovely way! i think what i love about her is that she's a REAL singer in the sense that she doesn't require belting and screaming or whailing to get her point across, it's very technical and i love it! love her to push it all further!
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by mature. I wouldn't want an album of just mellow ballads. But I do want her to write deeper more meaningful lyrics. I don't think she should just stick to dance party having fun tracks. That is boring to me. She is more multi dimensional than that. But I feel that way about any artist regardless of their age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel she's underrated vocally?? i mean for example; when she performed the opening to the Confessions Tour with Future Lovers and goes straight into Get Together it does HIT you hard with her range and then later when she performs Substitute For Love i always go a bit teary in a lovely way! i think what i love about her is that she's a REAL singer in the sense that she doesn't require belting and screaming or whailing to get her point across, it's very technical and i love it! love her to push it all further!

Oh definitely. I think her voice has a beautiful tone to it. But I think everyone has been so influenced by shows like X Factor where they think you have to belt and scream and hit super high notes to be a great singer.
    But her voice actually has a decent flexible range to it. She can hit reasonably low and high notes, a lot more than a lot of other singers i could name. Her vocals have suffered from all the dancing she has done in all her shows. I'd love to see her do a tour that was more stripped down without all that dancing and special effects to show that she actually is a very talented singer.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Madonna's voice has gotten better with age.:)
    She definately took lessons or training during Evita, as her vocals improved so much on Ray Of Light.:)

The first time I saw the Like A Virgin performance at VMAs '84, I thought her vocals were really shaky, and she went off-key a good few times. But when I saw Sticky & Sweet, she was perfect throughout.

She's not the best singer, but she's a real singer.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Oh definitely. I think her voice has a beautiful tone to it. But I think everyone has been so influenced by shows like X Factor where they think you have to belt and scream and hit super high notes to be a great singer.
    But her voice actually has a decent flexible range to it. She can hit reasonably low and high notes, a lot more than a lot of other singers i could name. Her vocals have suffered from all the dancing she has done in all her shows. I'd love to see her do a tour that was more stripped down without all that dancing and special effects to show that she actually is a very talented singer.

yeah she is very gifted at singing her higher and lower registers very well! on each album i think she generates something very different, and more than ever the past decade has shown that she can deliver live!

I wouldn't overall say she's 'improved' with age but i think that her vocal range certainly matured after Evita, i love it when she went for husky tones on her Erotica album, really deep and soothing. And i loved it on her albums from LAV - LAP where she really could push herself with all sorts of ranges and manipulate her voice. And she did that with Confessions mixing up higher and lower registers, very slick.

and agreed @ Mr Fahrenheit she may not be the 'best singer' but she is definitively a REAL singer. and i really hope she gets aknowledged more for that when she releases her next album and people and critics RE-view her career (30 years! cannot believe it!)

And i think the way she mixed it up with the guitars and the acoustics in segments of her recent tours (Re-Invention onwards) really showed that she has a powerful tone to her voice! and agreed i would love to hear a few more stripped down songs...Dress You Up as a ballad??? etc but i of course love the uptempos! damn she's a fine dancer too....SHE'S GAWT THE MOVES!!! :cool:
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    yeah she is very gifted at singing her higher and lower registers very well! on each album i think she generates something very different, and more than ever the past decade has shown that she can deliver live!

I wouldn't overall say she's 'improved' with age but i think that her vocal range certainly matured after Evita, i love it when she went for husky tones on her Erotica album, really deep and soothing. And i loved it on her albums from LAV - LAP where she really could push herself with all sorts of ranges and manipulate her voice. And she did that with Confessions mixing up higher and lower registers, very slick.

and agreed @ Mr Fahrenheit she may not be the 'best singer' but she is definitively a REAL singer. and i really hope she gets aknowledged more for that when she releases her next album and people and critics RE-view her career (30 years! cannot believe it!)

And i think the way she mixed it up with the guitars and the acoustics in segments of her recent tours (Re-Invention onwards) really showed that she has a powerful tone to her voice! and agreed i would love to hear a few more stripped down songs...Dress You Up as a ballad??? etc but i of course love the uptempos! damn she's a fine dancer too....SHE'S GAWT THE MOVES!!! :cool:

Not RE-view, but PRE-view.;):D

I want another 30 years of great Madonna, I can't wait to see her as a bitchy old lady, dancing around in her knickers!:D

And I wouldn't expect any less.:cool:
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I want Madonna to come back cause i want her to show Gaga who really owns the thrown :D

we need new Music Madge :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    I want Madonna to come back cause i want her to show Gaga who really owns the thrown :D

we need new Music Madge :D

She definitely needs to come back soon! It's too bad she doesn't have anything out right now. Because now dance influenced pop is bigger than it ever has been on the radio with not just Gaga, but Katy Perry, Rihanna, Britney, Ke$ha. Her style would fit right in on radio. Whereas a couple of years ago it was all about hip hop and R&B. There are all these singers out with wacky style doing dance/house influenced pop songs who owe a lot to her. But where is the original? Come back, Madonna!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    She definitely needs to come back soon! It's too bad she doesn't have anything out right now. Because now dance influenced pop is bigger than it ever has been on the radio with not just Gaga, but Katy Perry, Rihanna, Britney, Ke$ha. Her style would fit right in on radio. Whereas a couple of years ago it was all about hip hop and R&B. There are all these singers out with wacky style doing dance/house influenced pop songs who owe a lot to her. But where is the original? Come back, Madonna!

I really want Madonna back out there again! Gaga, Ke$ha, Katy Perry etc. are peeing me off right now! I mean audience's today are ever changing of course so the mainstream continues to change and i really want Madonna back out there and setting a new trend and raising that bar again!

Britney has returned and is bringing Dub Step into the mainstream, so i would love to see perhaps Madonna really embrace a different genre and push the boundaries of that!

and does anyone else feel the Queen of Pop title is just being thrown around aimlessly now???? i mean C'MON! Madonna IS Majesty of Music!

GODonna
    MaGODa

In Madonna We Trust!

PRAISE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! ]\/[

wanna see her live too!!!! i felt the promo for Hard Candy was too minimal really, well for what i was expecting then anyways, i want more interviews here in the UK (she had Parkinson for Confessions, Wossy for American Life and none for Hard Candy except a small Jo Whiley interview prior to her Radio 1 Big Weekend Performance) i want maybe Graham Norton or Alan Carr both would be hilarious!! and sleek!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just found a video of Madonna on SNL performing Fever from Erotica (amazing cover too, made it her own!) LOVE that era, and have never seen it before (only seen the Bad Girl one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkR3ajrx9U

she has great delivery and looks HAWWWWWT!!!

there's a petition on Facebook for Madonna to be the host of her own show of Saturday Night Live to which Madonna has been a guest MANY times! so hope she does (maybe to promote her next album) she is really funny :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Madonna-to-host-SNL-we-hope/122719017756129

if you're on join up! :)
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone think her Erotica album was overlooked due to the book coming out around the same time?
    (Personally, I think Like A Prayer is her album masterpiece followed by Music), bt I still think Erotica was panned by lazy critics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    does anyone think her Erotica album was overlooked due to the book coming out around the same time?
    (Personally, I think Like A Prayer is her album masterpiece followed by Music), bt I still think Erotica was panned by lazy critics.

I do think critics overlooked everything, it's the album critics got wrong i feel! it's timeless of that era and only one song referenced sexual activity really (if very tongue in cheek!) with Where Life Begins and even that is a nice dark groovy jazz number.

I feel that Erotica was a fantastic follow up to Like A Prayer, it showed Madonna could push buttons and her album material could be pushed to new standards.

I rank Like A Virgin, True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Ray Of Light,and Confessions On A Dance Floor as her absolute greatest work! like beyond top standard!

and i own the SEX book (got it last summer....it wasn't cheap!) and i must say although some photographs were heavily sexual (well look at the title hehe!) it wasn't tasteless and proved it's point! and Madonna was very classy in it! no one could pull of such a poignant moment like that really without it being trashy :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just recently been converted to a Kylie fan, I decided to on a whim a buy some Madonna albums - Music and Confessions of a Dancefloor. Liked a few of her iconic singles but never been that much a fan (even though 'Like A Prayer' is one of my all time favouite songs!). Hope I like them.

Edit: Just brought Ray of Light aswell. Madonna fest! All 3 only cost me £5 aswell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    Having just recently been converted to a Kylie fan, I decided to on a whim a buy some Madonna albums - Music and Confessions of a Dancefloor. Liked a few of her iconic singles but never been that much a fan (even though 'Like A Prayer' is one of my all time favouite songs!). Hope I like them.

Edit: Just brought Ray of Light aswell. Madonna fest! All 3 only costme £5 aswell.

you will! glad you are being converted :) i love the whole schitzo music approach to the Music album, a mix of acoustic with Electronica!

Confessions is a literal masterpiece (my fave album of the last decade alongside Demon Days by Gorillaz!)

and Ray Of Light of course is just HUGE!!! keep on trying them out! because while the singles are HUGE, there's loads of songs on each albums that are AS timeless :)

Sky Fits Heaven on Ray Of Light, Keep It Together on Like A Prayer and Get Together and Forbidden Love(love the way it segues into Jump!) on Confessions are my favourite songs of ALL TIME!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Hope so Josh. Confessions ... (I keep wanting to call it Confessions of a Danceholic) and Music arrived this morning and I've had Confessions on all day and am really liking it so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Hope so Josh. Confessions ... (I keep wanting to call it Confessions of a Danceholic) and Music arrived this morning and I've had Confessions on all day and am really liking it so far.

Confessions is TIMELESS! seriously everytime i hear the album it's as fresh and exciting as the very first time i heard it!

how are you finding Music, some fans have mixed opinions on the album (due to it being so free range in genre etc. and coming within 2 years of ROL etc.) i really love the album personally, Impressive Instant is just magnificent! wish it was released as a single as Madonna herself planned but WB wanted Amazing to be released instead so Madonna pulled it from the Drowned World Tour (however i like Amazing too lol).

hope your collection continues to grow :) as and when through time obviously!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love the Music album however to me it feels a bit unfinished or incomplete. I don't know why. Maybe it's because there aren't many huge stand out songs on it. It's quite low key. I do love 'Gone' though.
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can not wait for Madonna to bring out new material, for me no-one comes close to Madonna, a true original........................:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pharoah wrote: »
    I do love the Music album however to me it feels a bit unfinished or incomplete. I don't know why. Maybe it's because there aren't many huge stand out songs on it. It's quite low key. I do love 'Gone' though.

I like the Music album a lot but I know what you mean. I think it's because there are so many different styles of music on it. It's not cohesive. The songs are great individually but they don't seem to fit together. She worked with Mirwais, Guy Sigsworth and Orbit who are so different musically, instead of one producer or producers who were more similiar.
    But I do like it because it's not just dance and club music which for me she has shifted too much towards recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confessions is TIMELESS! seriously everytime i hear the album it's as fresh and exciting as the very first time i heard it!

how are you finding Music, some fans have mixed opinions on the album (due to it being so free range in genre etc. and coming within 2 years of ROL etc.) i really love the album personally, Impressive Instant is just magnificent! wish it was released as a single as Madonna herself planned but WB wanted Amazing to be released instead so Madonna pulled it from the Drowned World Tour (however i like Amazing too lol).

hope your collection continues to grow :) as and when through time obviously!

Really liking Music aswell, although I've only fully listened to it once. It's very slow compared to Confessions which surprised me a bit as I thought it would be faster, but it's great all the same. Loving the auto tune sound of Nobody's Perfect and Paradise works great. And and I bloody love the intro to What It Feels Like..., the whole song is great but I think Madonna might have just won me over big time with that intro even though I'm male.

I seem to like the slower songs on both albums more than the fast dance tracks, although the likes of Hung Up are brillaint too. With Confessions I'm really liking the likes of Forbidden Love etc. and LOVING Like It Or Not

Would I buy more Madonna albums? YES! But I'll wait a while for these to settle in. Fan's had year's between albums, I've got 8 albums of brand new Madonna music to get and enjoy. Oh you've got to be jealous a little bit. :D

I might go for some classic Madonna next time. Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer maybe or I may fill in the gaps of Hard Candy and American Life I dunno.

Ray of Light still to come! (Sorry long post).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really liking Music aswell, although I've only fully listened to it once. It's very slow compared to Confessions which surprised me a bit as I thought it would be faster, but it's great all the same. Loving the auto tune sound of Nobody's Perfect and Paradise works great. And and I bloody love the intro to What It Feels Like..., the whole song is great but I think Madonna might have just won me over big time with that intro even though I'm male.

I seem to like the slower songs on both albums more than the fast dance tracks, although the likes of Hung Up are brillaint too. With Confessions I'm really liking the likes of Forbidden Love etc. and LOVING Like It Or Not

Would I buy more Madonna albums? YES! But I'll wait a while for these to settle in. Fan's had year's between albums, I've got 8 albums of brand new Madonna music to get and enjoy. Oh you've got to be jealous a little bit. :D

I might go for some classic Madonna next time. Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer maybe or I may fill in the gaps of Hard Candy and American Life I dunno.

Lucky you............Like a prayer is magnificent.............and Ray of Light..............just out of this world................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah you are incredibly lucky experiencing everything new and fresh!

when Ray Of Light comes you will just be blown away, i love it as a concept album, very futuristic and fluid. It's the water to Confessions fire i feel!

If i were you i'd probably go for an 80's Madonna after Ray Of Light arrives and you take time with Confessions, Music and ROL of course! and then decide on how you want to do it! Like A Prayer is stunning! but then again so are The First Album, Like A Virgin and True Blue so up to you where you wanna start! but you'll love 'em all! Like A Prayer may take several listens to garner all the detail etc (well they all require many listens over and over of course) but that one is very autobiographical. LOVE IT!

Erotica is a must too! it's House,Jazz, Funk, Trip Hop and Soul like you've never experienced! GENIUS!

American Life and Hard Candy I may suggest you get later on perhaps, not that they aren't good albums or anything because i love them! but it's all up to you!

glad you're loving it all! you'll be all up to date by the time she releases studio album #12 :cool: which i cannot wait for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah you are incredibly lucky experiencing everything new and fresh!

when Ray Of Light comes you will just be blown away, i love it as a concept album, very futuristic and fluid. It's the water to Confessions fire i feel!

If i were you i'd probably go for an 80's Madonna after Ray Of Light arrives and you take time with Confessions, Music and ROL of course! and then decide on how you want to do it! Like A Prayer is stunning! but then again so are The First Album, Like A Virgin and True Blue so up to you where you wanna start! but you'll love 'em all! Like A Prayer may take several listens to garner all the detail etc (well they all require many listens over and over of course) but that one is very autobiographical. LOVE IT!

Erotica is a must too! it's House,Jazz, Funk, Trip Hop and Soul like you've never experienced! GENIUS!

American Life and Hard Candy I may suggest you get later on perhaps, not that they aren't good albums or anything because i love them! but it's all up to you!

glad you're loving it all! you'll be all up to date by the time she releases studio album #12 :cool: which i cannot wait for!

Good post Josh, any idea when we can expect the new album?
This discussion has been closed.