Cheryl's album only sold 84,000

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what's its worth I was in HMV today and saw her album was available for a £5 offer. Not great I guess. Be interesting to see whether the release of Screw You and her tour revives the sales and interest. I think it's a good point about her not doing much promo, especially at the Summer festivals. She seems to be spend a lot in America. Are they not going to launch/release her over there I always wonder?
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I think it's probably a reflection of the quality of Messy Little Raindrops, to be honest. A Million Lights as an album is stellar, and on the whole she's promoted it quite well - a lot of high profile appearances on UK TV. It'll be interesting to see if she gets an XF slot for Screw You, or whether she takes it even if she's offered it. I think while the sales are disappointing, they're hardly a disaster, and if it ticks over to 100k soon-ish, combined with some autumn sales, it'll break even at the very least.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally feel that when people say an album is due to flop due because of it's release month it's just a poor excuse - at the end of the day if I was a singer than I would only want to release a perfect album with perfect songs, people will buy good music and I'm afraid IMO Cheryl releases poor singles such as; Parachute, Under The Sun and Call My Name - however I do like Cheryl and I love 'Promise This'
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Ridiculous excuse. Lana sold almost 120k in her first week and that was in January. Emeli Sande sold a similar amount 3 weeks later. Fans will buy an album no matter when it is released. It's clear Cheryl's popularity is inextricably linked to X Factor.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People ahve this illusion of Cheryl as a massive superstar which was down to hype marketing anf the X factor she had a few hit singles but her music was never really up to standard and no where in the realms of GA at its height. Take away all of her platforms and she was left with the music whoch at its core is very average and she has neither the star quality of voice to fall back on. It's no surprise sales have slumped as she was never really built for longevity of success on the level of other UK stars. As others have said yes albums sales have picked up from an all time low but people like The XX realtively unheard of and having had a long time away manage to equal her sales in under tow weeks the illusion is shattered and Cheryl is no longer as popular, viable or of that much interst anymore.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    People ahve this illusion of Cheryl as a massive superstar which was down to hype marketing anf the X factor she had a few hit singles but her music was never really up to standard and no where in the realms of GA at its height. Take away all of her platforms and she was left with the music whoch at its core is very average and she has neither the star quality of voice to fall back on. It's no surprise sales have slumped as she was never really built for longevity of success on the level of other UK stars. As others have said yes albums sales have picked up from an all time low but people like The XX realtively unheard of and having had a long time away manage to equal her sales in under tow weeks the illusion is shattered and Cheryl is no longer as popular, viable or of that much interst anymore.

Well said my friend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A cigar for your impeccable logic there, my friend. Well argued and some very valid points made. I like your thinking.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kanzi wrote: »
    A cigar for your impeccable logic there, my friend. Well argued and some very valid points made. I like your thinking.

Why thank you :)

I think it's detrimental to her career at this point to continue to release music under the guise of a solo act as any illusion of her being this countries Rihanna let alone Britney has been well and truly shattered. she will always have her staunch supporters and loyal followers but Cheryl is a personality and not a musician or even a popstar she hasn't the versatility or knowledge to give her the edge and to push her forward she may have a few hits left in there but in the long run maybe a chatshow or some other type of Tv like say Cilla Black did as when all and said is done Cheryl is where she is down to luck, timing, and the X factor and not her musicial ability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is that if you compare her album sales to Britney Spears who is experiencing a lull in popularity here in the UK, Cheryl is only a few thousand copies ahead of Britney's last album which is considered a massive "flop" in the UK.

It's actually quite shocking how poorly Cheryl's album is performing, which is ironic as it's the better of the 3 albums she's had. Although, I always say that an album's success is usually reliant upon the quality of its predecessor, and her second album was dire and I am not surprised people were put off paying for a third after it.
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    She has sounded bad before that. If people really cared about live singing many artists wouldn't have a career. Let's be honest.

I think that her second album Messy Little Raindrops put off a lot of casual buyers because the album was so bad. It'll take something special to get them back on side.

Was it? I thought her second album was fantastic. :confused:

What I find interesting is that if you compare her album sales to Britney Spears who is experiencing a lull in popularity here in the UK, Cheryl is only a few thousand copies ahead of Britney's last album which is considered a massive "flop" in the UK.

It's actually quite shocking how poorly Cheryl's album is performing, which is ironic as it's the better of the 3 albums she's had. Although, I always say that an album's success is usually reliant upon the quality of its predecessor, and her second album was dire and I am not surprised people were put off paying for a third after it.

Britney recieved next to no UK promotion or airplay. Cheryl is the opposite of this and her album has sold a similar amount to 'Femme Fatale'.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    now that does surprise me, because you set up a thread about her album under preforming before it was even released.:rolleyes:

I am a Cheryl fan btw.I bought the album boxset, i buy all girls aloud records and have everything the group has released DVDs singles albums - so i'm no hater!! :eek:

The reason i posted back then was because i thought the sales ranks on Amazon, iTunes and Play.com where too low before it was being released and i predicted it would underperform. I had thought BEFORE then that her third album would go platinum easily.

She's in no crisis, she's still very relevant but i think a re-release would be a good idea with a XF performance.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I am a Cheryl fan btw.I bought the album boxset, i buy all girls aloud records and have everything the group has released DVDs singles albums - so i'm no hater!! :eek:

The reason i posted back then was because i thought the sales ranks on Amazon, iTunes and Play.com where too low before it was being released and i predicted it would underperform. I had thought BEFORE then that her third album would go platinum easily.

She's in no crisis, she's still very relevant but i think a re-release would be a good idea with a XF performance.

I don't think she needs a re-release, some of the super-deluxe editions have 19 tracks, which is a lot, and adding more songs would just kind of lower the overall quality, and a 20+ song album is too much. An XF performance could boost sales a bit, but that would really play into her detractors comments of Cheryl needing the XF to sell. Plus, with winter & Christmas sales naturally being higher, and the third single added in, she can easily pull it back to a respectable 150k.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Her first album is the only quality album she has had out. Fight for this love and Don't Talk About This Love were really good actually, but she's a hype artist, she should rejoin her flawless girl band and slay America like Cher Lloyd has. She should have had Lana del Rey write her whole album, then she could have fed off her enormous hype.
  • BlastoffBlastoff Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »
    Was it? I thought her second album was fantastic. :confused:

I liked her second album best aswell, she gave up on it waaaaay to soon.

Hummingbird, Waiting & Yeah Yeah would have made excellent singles.

I still can't believe Cheryl is on to her third album and she has only released 7 singles in total.

By the third album most singers have around singles under their belt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Her stock has fallen very fast without XF. Thank goodness. I couldn't stand much more of her 'highness' to be honest.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said :):cool::cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album isn't entirely bad, it has it's good songs tbh.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think the release date had something to do with it - some people got a number 1 with just over 10 000 copies sold round about that time.

Its a shame, her album is actually one of the best releases this year.